Allianz National Football League 2024

I think they just have it.

They’ve an elite All Ireland winning manager on the sideline, about 5 or 6 outstanding leaders and 5 or 6 more elite players.

If McKinless comes in for McGrogan wing back i don’t think they’ve any obvious weakness.

I’d say they’ll beat Donegal by about 8 points.

Compared to 2022 they now have McEvoy, Murray and McFaul. That’s three elite extra players.

Maybe they haven’t enough to come off the bench/injury cover and Big Lynchy in goals has a capacity to sink the ship at any stage.

But its on.

1 Like

This. Bombscare

Are Kauto Star a pop band?

Dublin don’t have anyone else to come back really. McCaffrey would still be a big addition if he manages to stay fit. McCarthy pulled his hamstring v Monaghan. It’s hard to know how much he and Fitzsimons will be able to contribute. Its definitely the weakest Dublin panel in quite some time.

Overall i thought dublin showed great resilience to stay in the game. Derry were considerably better but Dublin managed to push them all the way. The fire is still in the belly.

There is a lot to like about Derry. They are playing a much more expansive style than they did under Gallagher and are benefitting from the emergence of some excellent young lads. Huge pace in the team which caused Dublin all sorts of problems. Glass is an outstanding player and leader. However this time last year Mayo were flying after winning the league and it only took a week to go tits up.

3 Likes

Ah they weren’t really. Mayo had lost Lee Keegan and Oisin Mullin. They won the League accidentally because nobody else wanted to win it and because Dublin and Derry were in Division 2. Mayo probably aren’t even a top 6 team any more.

Derry are a different animal, they’re shaping up like Mayo were around this time in 2013.

1 Like

Six dubs against one lad from derry. Terrible odds…the townies hadn’t a chance.

Derry will still have to overcome the split season. Does god even no how many games they have to play to get back to an all Ireland semi final.

Like a Caravaggio. The taking of Glass

8 Likes

Is that not a painting of john Leahy?

The Dubs beat Derry in an AI semi final all day long

1 Like

If you come at the king, you best not miss.

1 Like

Congrats to our Derry muckers, how yous managed to throw us two lifelines I’ll never know. Derry managed to cut through us in the centre at ease, should have had more goals. Really enjoyed the end to end nature of the contest and a team coming to have a go. Better team won, no objection.

A solid league for us with a lot of the younger players getting solid runs and impressing largely. But whats this about Dublin not having any players of note to come back? Cluxton, Fitzy, Gannon, Jack, McCarthy, Costello haven’t gone away you know!

See you lads in the Summer for the rematch

6 Likes

This time last week the Dubs were flying it and everyone said they’ll win everything . That’s now the o Byrne cup and league that’s gone from
Them , 0/2. Grim reading , let’s hope they can get to 1/3 from Leinster campaign

2 Likes

Eoin McEvoy was reminiscent of Lee Keegan yesterday with his rampaging forays up the field. That Mayo team never had as talismanic a midfield figure as Conor Glass either. Similar doubts persist about the forward lines ability to rack up sufficient scores to oust Dublin on the *third Sunday in September but McGuigan is a level above what CO’C ever was from open play. They’re not competing against as strong a Dublin team too. I’d love to see them win the big one. Joe Brolly had written the Derry football obituary as recently as 2018-19.

*last Sunday in July.

1 Like

Kirry could be waiting in the long grass. They love a soft All-Ireland down there.

1 Like

True. 2000 probably their most impressive since the mid 1980’s given how strong Galway were at the time. 2014 was hard earned enough but the caveat was they avoided Dublin.

beaten Dublin a replay in the QF, Armagh in replay in the SF and Galway in a replay in the final. hard enough won alright

Is Cluxton going to be back in the nets to take the kick outs?

McEvoy will be an all time great.

Derry had 3 of their 2020 All Ireland Minor Winning team (final played in July 2021) playing yesterday which is good going.

Based on yesterday football seems to be going away from size and physique more towards skill and pace.

2 Likes

When was last time Kerry bet dubs in all Ireland final ? 1985?

1 Like

yes

1 Like