Allianz National Hurling League 2023

Counter attacking hurling. Jesus wept. You can fire the fucking thing over the bar from your own 65, how the fuck do you counter attack that

5 Likes

Surely can get over that at 28. If the will is there. He seems to have been around a long time, but that might just be my perception.

The only thing for certain is that when it goes belly up for Waterford - and it inevitably will - it will be everyone’s fault except Davy.

Crying on The Late Late last week about bullying behaviour and every single week he’s mouthing off at all and sundry on the line. An UUCOAM.

10 Likes

He had an awful cut at Neil Montgomery when a ball ran through his legs and out over the line. It wasn’t nice.

Davy is showing them the mighty ducks Flying V before every match.

I still think if Waterford knuckle down for the next 5 weeks, they’ve a right chance of turning over Limerick in Round 1 in Thurles.

Get Barron back and Aussie fit, coupled with a rejuvenated TDB, Calum Lyons, Mark Fitzgerarld, Dessie, Bennett etc and they’ve some of the most talented players in the country.

They’ll be rank outsiders, playing without a home venue, with an ‘us against the world’ mentality.

If they do get beat though, then i expect the whole ship to sink and they’ll be doing well to fulfill the fixtures by the end of it.

1 Like

They might play that rubbish in Wexford but I doubt Gleeson, Bennett and TDB will stand another year of white board hurling when it goes tits up.

I expect Callum lyons to get an all star nomination as the only positive light on this year.

1 Like

Waterford had a disastrous Championship season last year but they do have a fair bit of quality in their ranks.

Davy will presumably have them seriously hyped up and presumably won’t deliver as flat a performance as they did in the last two games of 2022 (having played alright against Limerick).

But it really is an overly negative style, if they sit off Limerick’s full-back line, Limerick will be happy enough to shoot from out the field.

I used to think he was more sinned against if anything. Got loads of abuse which no one likes to see and maybe this is where the siege mentality came from. It is not a good look when you are estranged from many of the 95 and 97 Clare team many of whom come across as sound fellas. Wexford certainly played for him and maybe that is where he thrived more. He probably felt he was a prophet appreciated in a faraway land but not his own. With Davy though there is no one who can market themselves better than he can. Already he is saying he inherited a dumpster fire with this Waterford team, “how they were in a bad place”, how he has to “undo a lot of things”. He is setting expectations very low giving impression if they win a game this year they will be doing well. The template is there already for him but he is so narcissistic that he will ignore all that. Already talking about “Outside voices”. A barb directed at Derek McGrath one can only surmise. There must have been a lovers tiff between those 2 kindred spirits. Its fascinating to watch and it can only end one way. Davy leaving at end of year 2 and scrappy do coming back for part deux. There will be another sequel in Waterford. Its frustrating as Waterford were genuinely a team that you’d enjoy watching. Cahill had them hunting goals and they could rattle in quite a few. They have hardly looked like scoring one in their last 2 league games. I know the league isnt worth a shite but it can be a portent of things to come. I’m not sure Davy is playing some ingenious long game either.

10 Likes

Does anyone have Davy’s champ W/L ratio as a manager and who those wins were against?

I like Davy, sometimes. But the man has a chip on shoulder that is getting bigger every year and has gone from being his driving force to a millstone.
I think whatever magic he has is dwindling fast and he seems compleltely unwilling to reinvent his style of play, only doubling down on it

Waterford have some outstanding talent. Generally they’re free thinkers. Get the camp happy and layve them off wouldn’t be a bad plan at all.

2 Likes

They love their hurling, God love them

Ah they’re a joy to behold by and large**

** Except in thurles when Michael MacIntyre is your manager and John mullane is diving over every outstretched arm.

Davy continuing to be box office

1 Like

Deep down everyone knows it would be great for the game of hurling if Waterford went on a run this summer.

Waterford are tremendous fun
Davy is tremendous fun

Davy is rethinking hurling. The insecure lads don’t like that sort of free thinking. They want more football drills football tackles

Davy very nearly cracked hurling in 2019.

He’s possibly guilty of overthinking it since but my god how close did he come. I still get visions of Shaun Murphy bombing forward from wing back and Bubbles and Sheedy shrugging their shoulders at each other wondering what the hell is going on here.

2 Likes

And nobody would begrudge them. They have some top drawer players, loads of talent. This time last year they looked sensational with pretty much the same bunch of players. Ok, last summer was a nightmare but to hand over a talented group to that self pitying lunatic is crazy. Waterford will come to regret that appointment in time, have no doubt.

Don’t forget the golden rule, every good result is down to him while every defeat is down to the referee, ‘dark forces’, the media or his own players.

They’ll probably beat Limerick now, mind you.

2 Likes

I kind of liked that modus operandi a bit for a time but it gets jaded very quickly. Sometimes nothing wrong with a chip on the shoulder but as you said it seems to have gotten far bigger in recent times. Any man who could get the better of Brian Cody on many occasions and bring that razzmatazz to Wexford Park deserves respect and kudos. 2019 was really one that got away. He was incredibly close to an All Ireland with Wexford but the tactical inertia that they succumbed to with the sending off against Tipp in semi final put pay to that. I’m convinced they would have beaten Kilkenny in that final. That would have been his greatest achievement. He might have more talent now but hard to see Waterford lads having same buy in as Wexford had or them getting a minibus down to sixmilebridge. Only time will tell.