Allianz National Hurling League 2023

Morris is a bit on an enigma. Like two other yellow helmet marauders in their early season (Lar and Seamie) he has cut a frustrating figure at times but still has an eye for goal (albeit I donā€™t think heā€™s near the level of the aforementioned pair).

I think John McGrath will probably start v Clare. I canā€™t see Bonner starting.

ā€œLads, weā€™re six up. Throw a few in. We need to be losing at half timeā€

1 Like

Everyone said this last year. Galway were very close to putting them out. Youā€™ll win nothing with that attitude. Galway never have and never will fear Limerick (strangely). You need three or four big apes who are able to lower the blade to their level.
We may be spread to thinly again this year between all the sports and competitions. Kk and now Limerick have shown that currently being a one trick pony is an advantage. The death of the dual player demonstrates this, but Galway have an ideal we must and will continue to live up to, of investing in and nurturing all sports equally.

In the same game Limerick went through the motions until the Niland goal, complacency like then will be what will come closest to catching them. Limerick were also missing Cian Lynch and Peter Casey.

2 Likes

Lynch seems to be a consistently exceptional driving force in tight games. A premium on space seems to suit him.

1 Like

Itā€™s the same down here in Cork. Youā€™ll win nothing with that attitude.

How will yee whittle it down to just 3/4?

8 Likes

I didnt rate Limerick at all last year.

They were useless in the League, couldnā€™t beat Clare in 70 minutes about 3 times, stumbled past Galway and fell over the line against Kilkenny.

Even a hapless Tipperary who had already downed tools stuck with them for 60 minutes.

Thereā€™s a possibility they have improved though and the competition has got even worse. It could be a mirror image of the utterly forgettable 2018 All Ireland Football Championship.

He is the best we have produced in any era, he will end up with six all Irelands. The driving force when the game is in the melting pot, he comes out with the ball from the rucks more often than not and just keeps delivering.

3 Likes

He draws in so many opponentsā€¦ Lā€™Oreal Tom has made a career drifting to the side of him for an easy score after Cian has drawn in 7 opponents and slips a well executed hand pass off to Tom. Maybe itā€™s Maybellineā€¦

1 Like

In fairness, in the last five years, Galway and Kilkenny are the only teams to come close to putting it up to Limerick in knock-out championship hurling. The Munster teams have been routinely embarrassed, in particular Corkā€™s absolute drubbing in 2021. Iā€™m not sure is it because Munster teams have come through a tougher round robin or Limerick are more familiar with them, or what it might be.

I think the return of Lynch this year is a big factor. I canā€™t see teams getting as close to them as they did last year. They will win all seven games they have in the championship and I would be surprised if any team got within 3 or 4 points of them.

When needs must time and time again he is the one showing and doing something for us to get us back into a game if we are in trouble. It could be a hook/block/tackle/assist or score. It could be anything, so many strings to his bow. If we are 10 points up he just sees out the game and strolls around the place.An unbelievable player.

If his father had moved him back home as a young lad, Loughmore would have a few club All Irelands by now. Imagine him and Noel McGrath in the same team ? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Probably two most intelligent hurlers of last decade.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s no one buying the poor mouth. Cahill saw enough and stopped at HT. He knows with 2/3 players to come back he has enough to beat Limerick over 70 minutes. We see you Tipperary.

3 Likes

Itā€™s Tipps all ireland to lose youā€™d have to say at this stage. Very hard to beat a team twice.

1 Like

Qualification out of Munster will be progress for us mate. Expectations are low. Too many injuries this year to have a proper go at it. We will make a right go of it in 2025.

Thatā€™ll do for the decade trophy then. Feet up until 2030.

Absolutely.

Thereā€™s a part of me that feels we will cut it tight this decade (a la the 1980s). We will get it done though.

2 Likes

I think Tipperary will qualify from Munster this year. After that, who knows?

Theyā€™re perfectly capable of taking out the likes of Galway ad Kilkenny.