Allianz National Hurling League 2024

Blackrock, Monaleen, Na Piarsaigh, 1 win at each level. Antrim have Creggan, Rossa and Loughgiel with 2 at senior, all of them champions in the last 10 years or so.

1 Like

Would I be correct in saying there are a few super clubs in Antrim in a similar manner to Dublin and a drop off afterwards.

Dunloy, Cushendall, Loughgiel are always top class. ODR, ballycastle come and go whilst the rest are generally way behind?

In Kilkenny for example, their 30th best team would probably give Tullogher a game who are a fine side and will likely go close to winning an intermediate in the coming years.

I don’t know much about the Dublin scene. The 5 clubs you name there are usually among the 8 senior, along with St Johns in Belfast. The fact that Antrim clubs have won AIs at all 3 levels though suggests there is some depth there, stronger counties like Wexford and Dublin aren’t contenders at the lower grades. Yes they have Kilkenny to deal with but I don’t recall them making many Leinster finals even.

Not many Galway clubs qualify for AI junior I’d say ?

Very few, Galway have 24 senior teams, then 12 or 16 intermediate teams. The junior A championship is often won by second teams like Turlough but they can’t progress so they send forward the best junior club who struggle against junior champions in Sligo (Connacht), Munster and Kilkenny who are sending their 25th team of an excellent standard.

Fair play to the 65 who actually paid in.

I’m trying to think who.
Skehana, barna, ballygar maybe?

Sylane and Annaghdown, both established themselves well at intermediate in Galway but never done anything in the club junior AI series. Skehana came close to an AI final twice but are now in some sort of amalgamation with their neighbours. Salthill had a go at it as well and should get more chances in the years ahead as they are probably the strongest junior outfit in Galway but not good enough to be promoted to intermediate.

I thought SKC would be intermediate by now.

Miles and miles off it I believe. They lost the junior club final this year to Ballinasloe, who didn’t even have a hurling team a couple of years ago. The junior club competition would be a few steps below the standard required to get promoted to intermediate.

Crikey. They’ve a massive catchment.
Football though.

Do the junior teams not get promoted to intermediate when they win it?

You get promoted to intermediate if you win junior A, but that would usually be won by a senior clubs 2nd team. There is a separate competition which is for junior clubs only, winning that gets you nothing except entry to the Connacht junior championship. Ballinasloe won that this year, they operate in junior B or C I think.

1 Like

1.Patrick Collins, Ballinhassig

2.Eoin Downey, Glen Rovers

3.Eoin Roche ,Bride Rovers

4.Sean O’Donoghue, Inniscarra (capt)

5.Tim O’Mahony, Newtownshandrum

6.Niall O’Leary, Castlelyons

7.Rob Downey, Glen Rovers

8.Tommy O’Connell, Midleton

9.Conor O’Callaghan, Dromtarriffe

10.Luke Meade, Newcestown

11.Conor Lehane ,Midleton

12.Sean Twomey, Courcey Rovers

13.Robbie O Flynn ,Erin’s Own

14.Patrick Horgan ,Glen Rovers

15.Shane Kingston, Douglas.

16.Brion Saunderson ,Midleton

17 Cathal Mc Carthy, Sarsfields

18.Ger Mellerick, Fr O’Neills

19.Daire O Leary, Watergrasshill

20.Mark Colman,Blarney

21.Ethan Twomey, St Finbarrs

22.Brian Roche, Bride Rovers

23.Eoin Carey, Kilworth

24.Shane Barrett, Blarney

25.Jack O’Connor, Sarsfields

26.Robbie Cotter, Blackrock

Lehane is gonna catch fire this year.

2 Likes

Cork really changing it up.
Snigger.

1 Like

Over It Ugh GIF

O Callaghan in MF is a leftfield one. Usually a full back line merchant. Has he played much there before?

He plays out the field for the club at wing back or midfield but that’s Junior. He’s been nearly always Corner back on Cork teams

1 Like

I like the Roches, how did Eoin go last week? … Brian had a good year last year. if they can kick on with Joyce the foundations are there. Big ask this year tho if they’re keeping him at 3 which i presume is the plan now?