Allianz National Hurling League 2024

Just the 9 I make it that started the AI final in 2021 when they were competitive for all of 5 minutes, all that under 20 success they said, Cork are coming like a train they said.

2 Likes

They’ve probably 30-35 players who are much of a muchness. Apparently there were lads getting game time for Cork on the bench for UCC while lads starting for UCC aren’t getting game time for Cork.

The old adage that if you think you’ve got two Derby Horses, you’ve probably got none comes to mind.

10 Likes

At least Coleman is back, I guess.

Is Eoin Downey really a corner-back? I thought they might play him out a line.

Not much in the way of ballwinning, on the ground or in the air, in that forward line.

That’s the problem with the short passing game, how do you determine who the ball winners are? And ability to win ball is the single biggest divider of standard it think

1 Like

Tippy tappy stuff is grand and a lot of the time at that level you’ll create the extra man with speed of transfer and everything looks great, as you said when you’re pressured or when there’s a fight that’s when you really see who had the minerals for it. That’s why the likes of WOD is so important for LK limited skill levels that have got better over time to be fair but an absolute dog in pressure and under pressure.

4 Likes

If you can’t at least break even on winning your own ball, that means you are relying on someone else to do that for you.

Now, obviously teams generally set up to make it as easy as possible to retain possession (and the other team set up to do make it as difficult as possible for that to happen).

I don’t think there is a place at the highest level for a fella who needs someone else to do his work for him.

2 Likes

Short passing is grand until you come up the middle and WODs 6ft plus arms plus hurley are swinging at you.

1 Like

I think Cork are playing the wrong game altogether for what they have. Their backs are just not good enough on the ball to go short. Obviously some need to go short to keep the other team honest but they should be going long to space where their legs might do damage. Run it from half forward or midfield grand but the turnovers at the back kill them

3 Likes

There isn’t, yet how many times do we see lads there who can’t. Lads found out in Thurles or Croke park, when they should have been found out in club or at least in house games. Selectors are blinkered I guess, more so by the smooth going of a short passing game. Some lads just freeze at club level, and pause at County with tight physical contact. As I said ability to thrive under that should be a massive determiner of level. These days every half decent young lad is two sided with a reasonable touch.

1 Like

Another stupid team named. I have several criticisms.

1. Why not try Saunderson? Seems the ideal scenario to start him - Saturday night in front of a home crowd down de Páirc.

2. Why the fuck is Tim half back? Tried and tested, it has NOT worked. Keep him in the forwards and let him break timber up there, we could do with it.

3. O callaghan midfield? Could make a good cornerback, but does not have the hurling for midfield. And what of Mícheál Mullins? I’d have Mullins ahead of most of our midfield options. He may have a knock though

4. It’s such a poor team, that it could be a dummy of sorts. You could see Conor O’C co back to the cirner, with young Downey out to halfback, and Tim brought out of the backs.
    But why name a fucking dummy team at all for February?

5. They are experimenting, but not in the areas that Cork need. All in all, an utterly baffling team from which we will learn nothing of note for Championship.

Concerning.

This is why the game is fucked.

Too many piano lifters and not enough piano players.

It used to be grand to have one “workhorse” at half forward to do a bit of foraging. Bonner Maher was a classic of this genre for Tipp allowing Callanan, Bubbles, Noel McGrath, Forde and before them Kelly and Corbett to strut their stuff.

Cody would get Martin Comerford or someone to do it for him.

Seamus Prendergast did it for Waterford.

Now everyone is supposed to up and down the pitch getting their tackle count up. Its horrendous to watch.

Just let them play Rugby League.

1 Like

It’s a dummy side positionally according to PROC.

Dummy teams for the league, Cork are serious bai.

Cork’s last few underage teams seemed to be very much focused on power and athleticism. They straight up fouled their way past Offaly in the u20 last year.

They must have some decent forwards coming through though, surely? I can’t believe they’re starting Lehane again

1 Like

You’ve nailed it. Cork just need to put Ben over them and let them act like tramps to an All Ireland like they did in the U20.

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1755638869024764252

How was this allowed to be released?

I’ve never heard McGrath say something to convince me he’s anything other than a complete fool.

He plays the excitable idiot role well on Radio One during matches.

2 Likes

He was a serious hurler and comes across as a nice enough fella but he talks some amount of shit.

He was a decent hurler, actually very decent at times, but talks an amount of absolute scutter.

Zero insight.

Rory O Neill on that podcast last week stated Cork have the best 37 man panel in the country. He must not have watched Cork club hurling in the last few years.

2 Likes