Allianz National Hurling League 2024

Probably @Raylan

Mammy knows what I look like :man_shrugging:t2:

Very enjoyable game in the field of legends.

KK mugged me off financially with their first half shooting. If I was a KK supporter I’d be content enough, like TJ is probably 6 points better than Hogan who’s a club hurler and Drennan who’s a shadow that can hit a few frees.

There 6 backs were good bar the goals, the second one after David Fitzgerald did his trademark 8 steps with the ball.

Up front they are seriously lacking quality and guile when TJ isn’t there. Mullen for all his quality kills himself shooting off his left on the left wing instead of opening up the field to use his weaker right.
Eoin Cody was put in his pocket by Hogan & Ryan. The goal was a nice finish but it was Donnelly who made it.

Clare are a good side. Hogan and Ryan are elite. Their forwards can all hurt you in various ways, Reidy continues to show up. I’d say Lohan midfield won’t do long term if they want to win the big one.

2 Likes

Kilkenny have a fine set of backs and Kenny was very busy midfield but they have nothing up front really.

When the ship was sinking in the third quarter Huw Lawlor kept them in it with acres of space around him. Keogan made a difference up top but Hogan/Drennan aren’t up to it and Cody/Donnelly were well held for the most part. Mullen was everywhere in the first half and should have scored more but wasnt in it at all after half time.

Clare are a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 team every day they go out and are the mirror image of their manager but they aren’t elite elite IMO. They’ll need Tony Kelly to come back firing all guns blazing if they are to go places in summer.

2 Likes

Jaysus that’s a fair exaggeration. Centre wide open for the 2 goals in second half.

1 Like

Huw Lawlor gave one of the great full back displays tonight again.

1 Like

Kicked one out of play too when he had plenty of time to scoop it up. Pulled Fitzgerald’s shorts for that free near the end as well. Two costly enough errors.

Lohans interviews are gas. Did the interviewer really think he was going to tell him anything about Kelly.

God I dunno how you see that at all. Their biggest issue has been inconsistency. They can raise themselves to be 10/10 team and turn up the next day and give a performance of four or five.

They’ve thrown in one shocker in two years against KK in 2022.

Maybe Tipp last year but they were ok there except the goals conceded.

That Wexford game too.

Kk corner backs are not good. Plenty opportunity to take them on. Same.for Richie Reid when you go straight in on him with direct ball

Mikey butler will improve them. Murphy has been good, he’s even better coming out the field a bit.

1 Like

John Conlon’s legs look gone

Agreed. The only consistency they’ve shown in recent years is that they do regularly put it up to Limerick. They are the second best team in the country IMO but failed to beat an inferior team two years in a row in Croke Park.
The opening game is crucial for Clare. Win, and the season looks very promising. Lose, and they are in a mammoth game in de Páirc the following week.

1 Like

Would 3 of the current Kilkenny team make the 2014 side?

They still make you work for absolutely everything and it’s a feather in the cap of any side who beats them.

Disagree, did a good job on Donnelly tonight bar that goal where he lost a yard from the ball before which he won and drove wide.

1 Like

TJ and Murphy are still there.

Huw Lawlor, Paddy Deegan. One of/both of Mullen/Cody on form. That’s it.

In fairness in 2022 they’d the tall lad Fitzpatrick was it ? Who was miles off it and lost John Conlon.

It wasn’t comparable to last year. Only for an outstanding eoin Murphy save they end up in the final.

What game were you watching it was his worst ever display if anything, beaten out in front several times, spilled possesion numerous times, silly fouls and 3 goals conceded be it off your direct man or not is never good for a FB. He’s a fantastic defender but it’s like saying Finn gave an exhibition against Wford couple years back when Dessie rinsed him.

3 Likes