Allianz National Hurling League 2024

Whatever way limerick train the last few years they weren’t going flat out in Munster so Clare giving it their all agin them could be misleading .

Tipp put it right up to Limerick last year.

Morrissey
Finn
Nash
Coughlan
FOC
Hannon
Kyle
Casey

And a few others have all had injuries so far and missed training no doubt.

A six day turn around won’t suit at all given the profile of the team now. I still think if limerick get into the Munster final they’ll be fine but that will be difficult. I’ve no doubt about it.

I really do wonder do lads watch the game at all at times. Huw Lawlor is an excellent hurler but was a 5.5/6 out of 10 this evening

2 Likes

Tipp put it up to Limerick last year but they don’t look as good to me this year. Clare, Limerick and Cork to go through.

Wouldn’t like to be coming off a loss to Clare and heading to Tipp and they smelling blood. No margin for error then. Clare the same lose to Limerick and head to Cork the following weekend. It’s a big one. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Limerick are at home to Tipp.

Sure four points is no guarantee of anything. Whichever two teams lose in two weeks time will be on the back foot straight away.

1 Like

What do you mean by exposed?

Adam Hogan all but single-handedly dragged Tulla to a Harty cup victory by putting the clamps on the oppositions main men throughout the competition, he is the reigning Fitzgibbon cup hurler of the year as a corner back and has been an excellent underage intercounty hurler all the way up through the grades. Aside from a poor enough showing against Dublin last year I’d say he got the better of nearly every match up he had in last years championship as a 19 year old. Eoin Cody hardly got a sniff off him in Ennis 4 or 5 weeks ago as well.

He may well end up getting cleaned in a given match as any defender can but he is an outstanding young defender who is going to be a standout corner back for a long time.

7 Likes

The second half will stand to both teams you would think. First half was very tame and Kilkenny probably should have been 4 or 5 up on the balance of play but missed frees and wides killed them. Clare’s puck outs into the wind were very frustrating.

Much improved second half and they responded well to kilkennys fight back. Some decent individual performances and a few lads with a bit of work to do but no injuries and a nice tune up.

What was Eoin Cody doing roll lifting the penalty? Woeful technique, you wouldn’t see it in camogie

7 Likes

Bizarre decision, didn’t generate any momentum as he moved in for the strike. Grand evenings entertainment overall, first half was mundane enough until the Clare goal and the Mullen shoulder which ignited the crowd and seemed to feed onto the pitch.

David Blanchfield really developing into a fine wingback, although slightly to blame for that goal before halftime. Clare are serious outfit, should make an all Ireland final this year.

1 Like

You’d think surely Scruff would be the best one to take a penalty.

2 Likes

The only thing I could think of was the cut of the pitch down that end. It was fair boggy.

1 Like

They only relaid it as well, no?

Richie Reid was very weak for Fitzgeralds goal.

Lohan is doing a fine job. 2 AI semi final defeats in a row but has added players and has more depth there. Still feel they need to win a Munster and get straight to an AI semi final.

He wasn’t even togged was he? Slight injury and didn’t want to risk it.

My tuppence worth, we were very poor for long periods. When Clare went 6 or 7 up they had us in serious bother and most other teams would have been clipped by 10 or 12 but to our credit we could have smashed and grabbed. No idea what Cody was at with the penalty, was like a lad that had never taken one and wasn’t confident enough to pick and strike on the move. Either way it was shocking.
Our delivery into the forwards is still so bad. Tommy Walsh is very poor on the ball. Richie Reid and Paddy Deegan lamping big snow balls into the forward line. When Reid got the ball on the left hand side, Clare backs moved towards the far corner expecting the high cross field ball and outnumbered us when it eventually landed.
Our forwards were very poor. Luke Hogan not up to this level and needs to be let go, it’s not going to work. Drennan is also borderline at this level. Billy Ryan again very poor, missed a simple pick up when a goal could have been on. Donnelly awful for 65 mins and only still on the field because there was nothing else there to come on, however did have a big hand in plays after 65 minutes.
Some positives though. Blanchfield is a fine hurler hurler. Good in the air, great striker of the ball and has all the skills, that score tonight was top drawer.
Cian Kenny coming on every game in midfield and played well again tonight. Never the biggest Mossy fan but was excellent when he came on.

5 Likes

Codys penalty was a moment of madness I reckon
His goal was top drawer,
Don’t think Limerick will be bothered by either tbh

Yes. Damien in nowlan Park 2022. Didn’t give Cody an inch.

I wouldn’t rule out cork taking out Clare if clare win.

It was a brutal shot but even worse technique. Brutal and all as Drennan was he’d likely finish that, maybe it wouldn’t have happened if he was on the pitch.

Scruff or even John Donnelly would have been better served hitting it.