Allianz National Hurling League 2024

I would be interested to see stats on how many penalties were scored with three on the line Vs one.

I have a feeling there’s been no improvement in conversion. The opposite if anything. Having the full goal to aim at makes it more tempting to place it in the corner rather than blast it down the middle. This gives keeper a better chance to save it and increases the chances of hitting the post or sending it wide.

In the olden days the best place to hit a penalty was as hard as you could to just beyond the shoulder of the keeper at the opposite side to his hurley. I believe this is still the optimal way to hit it.

That was my TED talk

2 Likes

How often were you let take penalties, just as a matter of interest?

11.6 times

1 Like

I’d say you’re wrong but I still think they’re too hard to score.

1 Like

You would need to take into account having almost a standing start v striking a few yards closer also.

1 Like

I should cavaet that in the olden days you could be 3 or 4 feet inside the 21, or if you were DJ Carey or Anthony Nash inside the 13 when striking the ball.

That extra few feet has to make a big difference in terms of savability

Was just posting similar, agreed.

1 Like

I agree. It’s still too much of an advantage for the Goalkeeper.

Conversion success has definitely improved, but I dunno what the GAA want in terms of a balance of scoring etc.

For example, an Penalty expectation in Soccer is 76% (taken from thousands of penalty kicks within the rules they currently have)… Not sure what GAA are wanting the conversion rate to be.

I reckon they should say the the back foot has to be on or behind the line, so the players can stop worrying about where the ball is exactly when they hit it.

Division 1A next year.

Clare
Kilkenny
Galway
Tipperary
Limerick
Dublin
Winner of Waterford/Cork league game.

1 Like

Very difficult to gauge.

I’d say current penalty conversion is 55-65%. It used to be 65-70% I reckon.

Solutions might be a spot 24 yards out or a standing strike from the 21.

Dublin are going really poorly. I’d be surprised if we are there.

With the weak teams in their side of the draw they should be the better placed 4th placed team.

1 Like

They’d be better off in 1B next year and building from there like Waterford/Clare/Limerick in the past.

Over the last 3 seasons including 2024 league so far it’s about 65-70%

Last 3 seasons before rule change 40%

3 Likes

Highlights in front of 2 men and a dog from Breffni Park here on TG4

Ya he does in fairness. Cousin from Ardrahan always raves about him. But I suppose he would. Is he a wingback? We’ll have to see.

7?

Yes.

Winner of Waterford/Wexford league game instead of Cork.

Wexford will beat Cork ant home and have them on the H2H.

I don’t expect us to beat Clare and we’ll struggle against Waterford also.

Doesn’t seem like we’ll have many of the experienced injured lads back by the end of the league.

Cork are cat.