Allianz National Hurling League 2024

I’ve edited that a bit

Waterford need rid of davey

They should be talking about the games & nothing else

In fairness to cork they put it up to Clare and Limerick away last year.

Any bit of that improvement on that and they’ll be qualifying.

Cork will qualify handy enough,
Munster final defeat (narrow) and All Ireland Final (not so narrow)
But we’ll see progress

I think they have very good players, they should be contending for Munster titles at the very least.

They won a match last year too but were also woeful in other games. They should have beaten Limerick and if Davy had any balls at all, they would have.

They might make life difficult for teams but it’s hard to actually see them winning games down the stretch because of how negatively they are set up.

I don’t think Davy is crippled by fear.

I think he is obsessed with winning another All Ireland playing Davy Ball.

So regardless of a teams strengths and weaknesses he’ll force them to play Davy Ball.

If he had the current Limerick team they’d be playing the same shit style he has Waterford at.

It worked to a degree in Wexford but wasn’t enough to overcome our shortcomings.

2 Likes

Fuck sake :joy:

I’m not so sure. I think the chasing pack are all good.

I think Davyball is inherently crippled by fear.

I think his tactics arise because he doesn’t generally trust his defenders and has a fear of conceding goals.

There are elements of good attacking play in the support runners from deep and shooting from distance but it is not possible to keep up the required energy levels across 70 minutes, particularly when you generally have no outball, it’s just too one-dimensional.

And if his team lose by a few points, he tries to sell that as a victory, about how he’s proud of his boys and they put in a great effort while always playing the poor mouth about resources, injuries, etc.

3 Likes

Wexfords effort v tipp in 2019 should have been the end of Davy.

2 Likes

I was only listening to it on the radio but did a Cork fella not run through from the half way line unchallenged and bury a goal?

2 Likes

Big Shane Dowling did some decent analysis last night. The one time they collectively pushed up, they got done by yer man running untouched from halfway to goal.

https://twitter.com/thesundaygame/status/1761882395211350247?s=46&t=0sQkcb7z4szDmx1-2Xlm0w

1 Like

Waterford need to be more defensive

I thought Dowling’s analysis made Waterford set up look so basic it was like Davy was in fact holding back a bit for a bigger day .:thinking:

And attacking.

They need two sweepers behind the full back line.

2 Likes

Possibly.

Waterford don’t seem to match up well to this Clare team but will definitely cause Tipp bother as they are quicker than Tipp around the middle.

Waterford actually out-shot Cork yesterday by 37-32 but only a handful of these were inside the 45. Many of their shots are outside the 65 towards the wings which have a XP of 0.2 (cc @RunningBelowXg ).

Cork on the other hand had 1-21 but also missed 5 or 6 that they’d tag on another day leaving you with 1-25 approx from 32 shots.

Freetaking could also be a problem for them if Bennett is not back. Jack Prendergast is a 6/10 standard inter county freetaker in the same ilk as Seamus Casey. Padraig Fitzgerald is surely a more natural striker than him.

1 Like

Iirc Waterford are the only munster team not to qualify from the round Robin format