Alternative Schooling Models(Crotty and Fenway)

Could Fenway and Ray Crotty please detail the pros and cons of the Montessori and Steiner schooling models

Thanks

first bump

Bandage, make this thread a sticky

Maybe to get the discussion going tase, you could outline why you think these schools would benefit your children more than the more mainstream schools?

Is there a benefit to delaying formal education until a child is 7?

Can we add Educate Together schools to this discussion as well please.

Educate Together schools are evil

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 785466, member: 686”]Maybe to get the discussion going tase, you could outline why you think these schools would benefit your children more than the more mainstream schools?

Is there a benefit to delaying formal education until a child is 7?

Can we add Educate Together schools to this discussion as well please.[/quote]

the montessori schools are all the way up to 1st year

advantages would be smaller class sizes,wider range of subjects, greater attention on your kids.

mac,please ask mrs mac about these models as crotty and fenway are action the cocks here

[quote=“FingalRaven, post: 785480, member: 80”]the montessori schools are all the way up to 1st year

advantages would be smaller class sizes,wider range of subjects, greater attention on your kids.

mac,please ask mrs mac about these models as crotty and fenway are action the cocks here[/quote]

disadvantages for me would be cost,location,not going to the local school may affect circle of friends & sense of community

Yeah, its a fine balance…

Not an option for my kids anyway.

The role of parents and grandparents in a child education cannot be underestimated enough either.

I think you going anywhere near the local school will greatly affect your poor kid’s circle of friends mate.

dont ruin this thread mate

Why so, mate?

Exactly. That’s why TASE needs to look for alternatives.

[quote=“FingalRaven, post: 785480, member: 80”]the montessori schools are all the way up to 1st year

mac,please ask mrs mac about these models as crotty and fenway are action the cocks here[/quote]

Stick to the traditional education system and GAA and Catholic Church upbringings and your kids will be fine mate.

Im from Malahide mate, what the sans culottes do isnt good enough for me

Seriously though, what Kinvara said is right, it doesn’t matter a fuck what education system the kids go through unless the parents are bought into supporting them. Little things like sitting with them helping them through homework at an early age can have a massive difference apparently.

Parents who treat schools as a babysitting service are likely to suffer as a consequence in the child’s later years. At least that’s the opinion of the teachers I converse with.

[quote=“Mac, post: 785491, member: 109”]Seriously though, what Kinvara said is right, it doesn’t matter a fuck what education system the kids go through unless the parents are bought into supporting them. Little things like sitting with them helping them through homework at an early age can have a massive difference apparently.

Parents who treat schools as a babysitting service are likely to suffer as a consequence in the child’s later years. At least that’s the opinion of the teachers I converse with.[/quote]

could you please converse with these teachers in regards to alternative schooling models

Interesting results published yesterday from a European wide survey of 10 year olds, their parents and their teachers.

Irish children finished well down the list in many areas, such as inclusion, happiness at school etc.
The parents were among the worst informed about how their child was progressing in school
Meanwhile Irish teachers are reported to have the highest job satisfaction in Europe.

Yer man Colm O’Gorman is involved with them and anything he gets involved with us generally evil.

Secondly, my understanding of them is that basically the kids don’t have to do anything that the kids don’t want to do. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of authority within the schools which I don’t think is good practice as it shapes how a person thinks for the rest of their life. If someone grows up with little or no respect for authority I don’t think its a good thing. I’m sure there are studies saying this is good but that’s just my take on it. Obviously we’ve a history of schools going over the top to assert their authority so I think the balance is somewhere in the middle.

Finally, they call all their teachers by their first name I believe, seems plain weird.

They all teach in mainstream schools mate so their opinions will be tainted.

what the fuck?

this is your chance to shine on this forum and you arent grasping the opportunity