Another blow for muldoons the length and breathe of the country

We can’t even have an auld sausage or a rasher now…Jaysus we will starve without the pig…

From rte.ie

The Food Safety Authority has ordered the withdrawal and recall of all Irish pork products dating back to 1 September.

It follows the discovery of a contaminant in pig feed by a dioxin known as PCB at levels between 80 and 200 times the safe limits.

PCBs are highly dangerous man-made chemicals that were banned in 1979. They effect the immune and reproductive systems and can, in certain cases, cause cancers.

AdvertisementThey can still be found in certain products made before the ban came into force.

The contamination first came to light last Monday, but the positive tests in the pork was only confirmed this afternoon.

The public have been advised to destroy all pork products
purchased since September.

Contaminated feed was used at a total of 47 farms.

Nine of these were pork producing farms. The remaining 38 were beef farms, with one of those also producing pork products.

But the FSA has advised that it is not necessary at this time to have a similar withdrawal of beef products.

The Taoiseach and Minister for Agriculture Brendan Smith, have attended crisis talks at the Department of Agriculture following the discovery of the toxic substance in slaughtered pigs.

The discovery has provoked concern in the farming community.

The pork industry is the fourth biggest in the agriculture sector and is worth around 400 million per year.

The movement of animals at some 30 farms has been restricted.

A major investigation has been launched by the Department of Agriculture and the Food Safety Authority.

Restrictions on pig production units

Minister of State for Food Policy Trevor Sargent said the Government had acted swiftly to deal with the situation.

Mr Sargent said the affected animal feed had been banned and the pig production units using it had been restricted.

He said he would be working with An Bord Bia to ensure that quality pigmeat products - including those organically certified - can be brought back into the market as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, Labour’s spokesperson on agriculture and food Sean Sherlock, has called for a full account of the extent of the risk to human health.

Fine Gael’s spokesperson on agriculture, Michael Creed described the discovery as potentially the biggest threat to the agri-food sector since the outbreak Foot & Mouth disease.

Good thing I eats the Beef

What are these toxins doing anywhere near meat producing farms? This is some knock to farming.

This is serious.
Firstly it’s going to cripple pig farmers.
Also, the mention of the word beef wil mean that people will stop buying beef too.

PCBs are very serious. I’m not going into it here but I reckon that this is going to be bad.
Everything to be destroyed from Sepember 1st!!! Thats over 3 months ago ffs. If people have consumed high levels of PCBs then they could have any amount of problems and its not stuff like a bit of a chill for a few days.
The government have to make the public announcement.
They have to keep the public calm, but if you go through the internet on PCBs it will scare the crap out of you.
Yours etc,
GSH.

Should be grand according to this govt fella,

The state’s Chief Medical Officer said there was no need for the public to worry and that the government had taken a precautionary approach to minimise the risk to public health.

Dr Tony Holohan said the public should simply destroy what pork products they have in their fridge and freezer.

He said the dioxin is only dangerous if a person is exposed to it over a long period of time. In such circumstances, he said, it can have a range of effects on organs such as the liver and nervous system.

But he stressed that the period in question here is much shorter, and such effects should not arise as the exposure has been identified at an early stage.

Dr Holohan said because there is no risk from the low exposure, people do not need to seek medical help.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]Should be grand according to this govt fella,

The state’s Chief Medical Officer said there was no need for the public to worry and that the government had taken a precautionary approach to minimise the risk to public health.

Dr Tony Holohan said the public should simply destroy what pork products they have in their fridge and freezer.

He said the dioxin is only dangerous if a person is exposed to it over a long period of time. In such circumstances, he said, it can have a range of effects on organs such as the liver and nervous system.

But he stressed that the period in question here is much shorter, and such effects should not arise as the exposure has been identified at an early stage.

Dr Holohan said because there is no risk from the low exposure, people do not need to seek medical help.[/quote]

NCC I’m shocked. A golden opportunity to berate tha muldoons and you’re the first to pop up with the everything is fine stuff. I’m confused.

Whenever I ride a culchie bird what the fuck is she going to make me for breakfast?

it’s your dream so you decide :wink:

I still ate the fry this morning…What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger

I found two steaks at the back of the freezer with an Oct. 07 sell-by date on them. Fuck it, I’m not throwin away two steaks for anyone.

How right you are. You OK for onions?

Lads my vet told me you’d want to be eating these suspect sausages daily for 20 years for these toxins to have an effect, and even then there’s a good chance you’d be fine. As I write this there is a pan of bacon and sausages sizzling away.

Your vet? What are you, a fooking horse?

All muldoons have their own vet, whether they have animals or not.

:wink:

Jugs has obviously never heard of Gentlemen Farmers before…

I had a fry up yesterday so the vet’s words come as relief to me.

I think though that with the amount you obviously eat you may be at risk. Just to be on the safe side maybe we can get SS* vet to have a look at you, and if necessary put you down

I have some cooked ham in the fridge and unless someone can prove that its consumption will lead to me growing a third arm, it’s getting eaten.

Enough of this scaremongering.

SS* can expect a PM from me requesting his vet’s contact details alright.

Steaks come from cows no?