Another casualty of the recession

The Bridge restaurant down near Grand Canal Dock seems to have gone bust. It seemed to have been highly regarded and the recipient of awards and shit.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 845549, member: 129”]Amazingly, it was only closed to be spruced up. It’s now open and empty again. I walked by yesterday evening and Eddie Rockets was so busy there was people eating at the counter. Abra’s had 2 people in it. Both scaldy looking.

Anyway, on the subject of recession, I found this from Slate magazine from Brand New Retro from 2001: http://brandnewretro.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/web.jpg

Was economic hardship being predicted at that time too?? When was it expected to hit?? Or does it refer to the eventual 2008 recession which we all know and love.
I would’ve been 19 in 2001 and too drunk or stoned to remember.[/quote]

i assume that was based around the post 9/11 slump that hit the global economy.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 845549, member: 129”]Amazingly, it was only closed to be spruced up. It’s now open and empty again. I walked by yesterday evening and Eddie Rockets was so busy there was people eating at the counter. Abra’s had 2 people in it. Both scaldy looking.

Anyway, on the subject of recession, I found this from Slate magazine from Brand New Retro from 2001: http://brandnewretro.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/web.jpg

Was economic hardship being predicted at that time too?? When was it expected to hit?? Or does it refer to the eventual 2008 recession which we all know and love.
There was a mini bust in 2001. A combination of the dot com bubble burst and a pause for thought after 9/11. Property prices stalled or declined a little. It was nothing dramatic and a couple of inflationary budgets from Charlie McGreevy got the sausage maker into top gear here again.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 845549, member: 129”]

It was being forecasted from the late 90’s. Personally amazed that it went as long as it did. It looked like an unsustainable house of cards from way out. The initial boom made economic sense, the last 5-7 years was purely on property speculation.

Ah fair enough. Charlie :clap: Deserves every Euro he’s getting.

The MD of the newly launched HMV Digital was on The Last Word this evening. You wouldn’t exactly be rushing out to buy shares in them after listening to him, couldn’t make a single compelling point as to why the company would be a success. A bad state of affairs when Anton Savage destroys someone.

Ha was listening to it. Savage destroyed him by basically asking the same (v obvious) question 10 times.

He Antoned him.

He just gave up for a finish. Your man thinks the masses will buy digital music from HMV “because of their high street retail presence”

And will be able to pick up an album in the shop. Scan it with your phone and listen to some of the music…eh can you not already preview an album I tunes, yeah but this is n the shop, eh ya but you could have your phone in the shop

Was like a transition year student. Savage felt sorry for him for a finish

it was ending in 2001 but 9/11 meant interest rates were reduced. a last five years was based on windfall property taxes/property boom. I remember in 2001 house prices started to slip and there were predictions of unemployment growing in 2002 as the economic growth from 1997 to 2001 was waning.
1996/1997 to 2001 was an amazing time though - in my areas salaries were increasing 20% year on year

Interim examiner appointed to Flannerys.

You’d want to be some lemon to make a balls of that place. What other ones do they own?

Probably bad.management more than anything else, examiners are only appointed to companies with a prospect of survival.

Not sure, they owe €11 million to a venture capital company who tried to put a receiver in place today.

Didn’t they buy Crawdaddy a few years back as well?

i dont know, no idea what name they trade under.

Recession is over so this thread should be renamed Another Victim of Poor Business Practices/Management

Or people who poxed onto a succesful pub and then instead of being glad of their luck tried to leverage the fuck out of it

It’s not open during the day though and I’d say most of the people who go there are absolutely leathered before they even set foot in the place.