Another casualty of the recession

Ultimately it does.

Ultimately it doesn’t.

Is it not that the house is worth 500k but the mortgage is almost 3 million?

1 Like

Another small business closes due to insurance costs.

Nice timing

Thought so. Might be an idea to change the thread title to “Another casualty of the great insurance rip off”.

The headquarters looks decent though.

Abra in Tralee said they were closing because of insurance costs, but some company saw the post and offered them a more reasonable price apparently. Said it was gone up 3 fold from the previous year.

Theres a clatter of indoor children’s play areas and creches likely to close in the next 12 months due to insurance.

The latest fad for parents is to make claims when kids run into each other on others premises rather than being injured by something on the premises. Think it’s public liability insurance that covers it and the loading on the premiums on this has become ridiculous. Madness when you think of it.

kidzone in rathfarnham gone in the last few weeks and another place in dun laoghaire area whos name escapes me

There was one in Bagenalstown that went in the past few weeks as well.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2019/03/28/massive-insurance-hike-forces-kiddies-kingdom-to-close/

AN INSURANCE hike of more than 550% has prompted a popular Bagenalstown business to close its doors after 15 years.

Kiddies Kingdom, the play centre owned by Josie Daly, will close for the final time this Sunday with the loss of ten part-time jobs.

“It’s the end of an era and it’s really sad to think of it closing, but the spiralling insurance costs are just making it impossible for rural businesses to stay open,” said Josie, who is running for Fianna Fáil in Bagenalstown in the upcoming local elections.

“I paid €8,500 in insurance last year, and this year to renew my policy I was quoted €47,000 with absolutely no explanation for the increase,” she adds.

Fraudulent claims nationally are having a huge impact on the insurance costs of play and leisure centres all over the country. Josie points out that Kiddies Kingdom is not the only leisure centre to close as businesses struggle to meet the costs.

“Insurance companies are running scared and paying out too early because judges are giving away ridiculous amounts of money and, of course, there are no prosecutions for people who make fraudulent claims,” said Josie.

Josie is part of a national campaign by play and leisure centres aimed at tackling spiralling insurance costs, yet despite lobbying the government the situation remains unchanged.

“Business people won’t be able to sustain what’s going on. The amount of businesses in rural areas closing due to insurance premiums … and then you add the commercial rates on top of that! In my case it would have been over €60,000 for those two bills alone before I’d even open the doors. Every business is affected by insurance and the government are just letting businesses close down and not acting on it,” she argued.

“I know the time is right for me to go now, while I still have the choice to go and it’s my own decision,” said Josie.

“I had fantastic staff and that’s what is really sad, but I know Kiddies Kingdom over the years has helped put people through college. We’d a doctor, two lawyers, a public health nurse, teachers, apprentices … it’s fantastic,” Josie laments.

“I really want to thank all the people over the years that have supported Kiddies Kingdom – all the children, mothers, grandparents we had here … it was a safe place that families could come to,” she adds sadly.

Anyone paying out on claims like this should be put up against a wall and shot never mind what should be down to the utter vermin who would bring such cases.

I have heard of parents making claims against house insurance policies for their kids accidents on bouncy castles and trampolines in gardens of friends and family.

Worked for Ivan

By god

1 Like

Cc @glasagusban

Cheeky fuckers

This is an utterly gas country.

1 Like

@glasagusban reckons it’s easy turf people out on the streets though

2 Likes

is that yer wan off the telly?