Another casualty of the recession

I know, but I was expecting the sandwiches at least to be good, they were shite.

Whats the Barge like now? And the Portobello and Bleeding Horse, all locals of mine when I lived in Rathmines.

[quote=“Fitzy”]I know, but I was expecting the sandwiches at least to be good, they were shite.

Whats the Barge like now? And the Portobello and Bleeding Horse, all locals of mine when I lived in Rathmines.[/quote]

can’t stand the fucking horse, just not my type of pub, the barge is still the same as ever, spent many evenings there when I was in golden pages, porto has gone to shit from it’s heyday, haven’t been there in about 3 years

I suppose they’ve all been shite since I left them…

I met my wife in the Barge

Just to add my tuppence worth to the whole Rathmines Tramco talk.

Tramco was a grand little place before they decided to refurbish for some reason. I had been in there maybe five times since - the last being a random Saturday night drinking in Rodys and Coppers was too full. Christ I was shocked. The place was full of travellers and there were about ten fights breaking out in the place and the bouncers did nowt.

They used have paid dancers in amongest the crowd as well. It was sure nice to look at particularly from the ground floor looking up - the dance floor was on the second floor kinda. But to try and get near them was another story.

It was a shithole.

Had a great night in Rodys on New Years Eve above all nights having not set foot in the place for about a year. I like it again now.

I’ve lived in Dublin for 19 years, and Tramco’s is the only venue I’ve seen wimin wearing tracksuits. Tip Tracksuits.

The lazy slobby bitchs didn’t even scrape the muck out from under their fingernails and as they went about robbing pints I left them at it 'cause I couldn’t bring meself to touch the glass again.

Some good nights there tho’

The Rathmines Inn is a total kip in fairness Sledge. Slatterys is the best pub in the place by far. Used to go to Toast a good bit but haven’t been there in about 2/3 years. It’s not bad for Sunday afternoon lounging around

WOuld never have thought much of Toast or Slatts. Slatt always struck me as a clannish shitehole, and Toast for a place that was the fucking Station was always full of reprehensible cunts imo.

I was more of a Rodys man and loved the pre rennovated Tramco. Many happy memories there. The Porto wasn’t bad on occasion, as was the Barge, but Rodys and Tramco were home.

Chuckle. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

shame about Tramco alright. I literally lived about 3 minutes from the place when I was last in Dublin, so I got over the makeover they did on the palce and was actually a decent spot there in spite of them trying to be something they werent. Used to have a skinful in Rodys and head on down to Tramco then. Good spot for picking up women too. And while it may not be like the shooting fish in a barrel type women in Coppers, would always still manage to find decent birds in there.

I never really got into Toast myself, only in there a few times. Was a bit too relaxed and laid back for me. Suppose I’d only have ever been there on a Friday/Saturday night when I’d be in top form and on for a good one. Probably would be ok if you’re just out for a couple of sociable pints or whatever. Slatterys is a great spot tho, always liked it there. And cant beat the Barge for a good summers evening sitting outside.

You’d sometimes meet a fairly far out there bird in Mother Reillys it must be said.

You’re very likely to meet a few on the verge of mental instability in that place. The smoking area is the ideal location for talking complete and utter shite.

I do like the place however

The old Tramco was a teriffic place alright, something of a cross over between Coppers, a decent student night and somewhere like Whelan’s. Had one great night after going in early Saturday evening and sitting out the back drinking shop bought bottles of Stella in the barbecue area, brilliant.

Since the refurb depending on whether it was midweek or weekend it was either full of out and out knackers or the absolute worst pondlife of the D4 student population.

I can’t see Solas on Wexford Street carrying on much more. I glared in the window there tonight around 10pm. There wasn’t a single head in there. There were about seven in Whelans. Good buzz in Anseo though.

hopefully so

bring back my glory days as a student in gleasons and the wexford inn and devitts

Were you a regular in the ‘Cusack Stand’ (Devitt’s).

The Modern Green Door / Solas is hanging by a thread I reckon. I have great memories of seeing Bandage in there wearing his free clothes.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]Were you a regular in the ‘Cusack Stand’ (Devitt’s).

The Modern Green Door / Solas is hanging by a thread I reckon. I have great memories of seeing Bandage in there wearing his free clothes.[/quote]

I was very much a regular of willie’s (best toasties in dublin after the gingerman years ago), we were the only group of students he ever encouraged through his door, due to the fact we spent most days in there skippng lectures.

would’nt be sad to see the back of solas and a return to form from the junction wouldn’t go amiss

If you are a fan of ambulance sirens Tramco was a great place to go.

[quote=“briantinnion”]A sad sad day, it really was a cracking spot before the makeover. I think the ongoing success of Coppers show that the old saying is true - if it aint broke don’t fix it. Had some great nights in there during college, it really filled the void that was left when the 1.50/2 student nights in the Palace were stopped. We even tried to hire the place once, a mate of mine does a cracking impression of Pat Dolan and we rang the manager Tom and tried to book the venue for Cork City’s unveiling of Robbie Doyle (also used to ring Robbie Doyle pretending to be Pat), managed to get Tom to give us a quote and promised we’d call him a few days later when the signing was finalised. Great days.

Was never the same after the renovations but had a few decent nights in it when myself, Ledge, the Green Hen and the Lil B used to live 150 steps from its door, but it gradually started getting a rougher crowd so stopped going.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Doyle

Just read the first paragraph under “Career”.

What other Dublin pubs have shut down recently?
At the moment I am aware of:
Parnell Mooney
Conway’s
Tramco
The Tram - James St
Cocoon - good riddance
walked past Cafe En Seine last Monday night and it was shut so hopefully it won’t be far behind. Ended up there one night before Christmas and it was as bad as I had remebered.

Pal Joey closed down as well.

This might be worth a thread of its own actually.