Another horrific accident in Donegal

Or what if he dropped home a car load and came back for the others then and dropped another car load home safely, like most sensible people would do

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 490554, member: 24”]I heard recently that the driver of the car with the 8 lads in it was not directly responsible for this horrific accident. Yes, there were too many in the car, and yes he may have been speeding a little, but the car which was initially hit with the woman driver was at fault initially. She had overtaken dangerously (she was over the drink limit) and collided with the car with the 8 lads. This caused the air bag to open in front of the driver who couldn’t see where he was going and he then crashed into the elderly man coming from bingo.

Surprised with all the media reporting around this seeming to pin the blame on the young bloke driver that survived when the reality was that it wasn’t directly his fault.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this was a mitigating factor? Didn’t see it mentioned anywhere apart from farmers post though

No, I mentioned it yesterday too. He concocted this story, tried to blame this lady and pleaded not guilty initially before belatedly changing his plea and admitting he was on the wrong side of the road when he clipped her car before ploughing into the car behind her and killing the driver of that. Combine this behaviour, his subsequent driving offences and the way he drove like an utter arsehole in the incident where 8 people were killed and it’s an incredibly lenient sentence.

Ah that’s pure nonsensical. That would be like taking a few trips to the car to bring in the shopping

Accident happened in Donegal, Dan.

Have to agree. Whatever about overloading the car, everyone in it was equally culpable. Trying to blame another lady in the cold light of day one would have thought should have mitigated against suspending two years. There may well have been other factors involved we don’t know about. My faith in sentencing, which was shaky in the first place, was tattered by that brain damage/ painting damage farce mentioned above.

Everything is relative. The justice system in this country if it was different you could say that yes, he should be getting more time. But when murderers (pre-medidated), rapists, paedophiles are getting out of jail in a handful of years i would consider these people to be true criminals as opposed to this chap who committed a grave and reckless error of judgement resulting in a tragic accident. He is just an eejit at the end of the day, also four families asked for him not to be jailed so that has to be a mitigating factor. So for him to get any more than the four years he got would be a wrong IMO in light of other sentencing for “true” crimes. How long did Larry Murphy spend banged up for example?

[QUOTE=“fucked out, post: 1059246, member: 1495”]+1
The leniency is incredible in this case. it makes you wonder what manner of carnage would earn the maximum sentence[/QUOTE]

Intoxication is a huge aggravating factor in sentencing in these types of cases. This was absent here. Its the behaviour of accused that caused the accident and behaviour subsequently and prior convictions that are a judge’s primary focus, not necessarily the body count. Two years does seem light though particularly when he was seemingly trying to blame someone else, was so late in entering a guilty plea and post accident didn’t have a particularly squeaky clean motoring record. If he behaves himself in jail and with temporary/early release he could be out for next Christmas.

DPP could well appeal undue leniency. Would imagine that an Adrian Hardiman or a Nicky Kearns in the Court of Criminal Appeal would be upping the jail time. The other truly horrific case of this kind in recent years resulted in the sentence being increased when the DPP appealed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drunk-driver-who-killed-pregnant-teacher-roisin-connolly-in-car-crash-sent-back-to-prison-30082640.html

you would think twice about being out after pub closing time on the roads in certain parts of the country

Irish Times had a series recently about a car crash - amazing how a matter of seconds can mean you drive home without a care or are killed - real randomness of life

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1059524, member: 2272”]you would think twice about being out after pub closing time on the roads in certain parts of the country

Irish Times had a series recently about a car crash - amazing how a matter of seconds can mean you drive home without a care or are killed - real randomness of life[/QUOTE]

Yeah - read that series of articles.

This fucker - totally drunk - hops into his car and drives at high speed on the wrong side of the road. A car had to swerve into the hard shoulder to avoid him - this driver said that if there hadn’t been a hard shoulder he would have been dead.

Unfortunately, the drunk turn the car around, speeds back up the road on the correct side for a while but veers across and ploughs into a taxi, killing himself and the taxi driver.

Basically he was a ricocheting bullet on that road that night.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1059524, member: 2272”]you would think twice about being out after pub closing time on the roads in certain parts of the country

Irish Times had a series recently about a car crash - amazing how a matter of seconds can mean you drive home without a care or are killed - real randomness of life[/QUOTE]
It’s not just after hours though. I was driving through Kilkenny a few weeks ago on a national road and some dickhead boy racer starts overtaking a row of 3 cars coming against me. I had to slam on the breaks and the middle car of the 3 he was trying to overtake had to brake hard to let him in or else he would have ploughed into me. I was nearly at a stop at that stage and looked in the rearview mirror to see the guy overtake the final car in the 3 and tear off. Little prick didn’t know or care how close he came to cause carnage. They didn’t do it in my day and I don’t know if they do it now but there really should be some sort of Driver’s Ed classes in secondary school to make lads realise that driving a car means operating a ton and a half of metal that can do untold damage in the wrong hands.

In saying that, I was a stupid cunt behind the wheel when I first started driving. Maybe there is merit in becoming more mature and sensible waiting until your mid-thirties before getting behind the wheel like @Colin Montgomerie .

[QUOTE=“Horsebox, post: 1059633, member: 1537”]It’s not just after hours though. I was driving through Kilkenny a few weeks ago on a national road and some dickhead boy racer starts overtaking a row of 3 cars coming against me. I had to slam on the breaks and the middle car of the 3 he was trying to overtake had to brake hard to let him in or else he would have ploughed into me. I was nearly at a stop at that stage and looked in the rearview mirror to see the guy overtake the final car in the 3 and tear off. Little prick didn’t know or care how close he came to cause carnage. They didn’t do it in my day and I don’t know if they do it now but there really should be some sort of Driver’s Ed classes in secondary school to make lads realise that driving a car means operating a ton and a half of metal that can do untold damage in the wrong hands.

In saying that, I was a stupid cunt behind the wheel when I first started driving. Maybe there is merit in becoming more mature and sensible waiting until your mid-thirties before getting behind the wheel like @Colin Montgomerie .[/QUOTE]

none of the above story happened by the way

That goes without saying at this stage, bud. It was a cool story though.

a big metal spike out of the middle of the steering wheel would remove the illusion of safety some of these lads have

Show them the carnage of a fatal crash,ask any cops or firefighters you know and they will tell you of the mince meat messes they have seen.

[QUOTE=“Horsebox, post: 1059633, member: 1537”]It’s not just after hours though. I was driving through Kilkenny a few weeks ago on a national road and some dickhead boy racer starts overtaking a row of 3 cars coming against me. I had to slam on the breaks and the middle car of the 3 he was trying to overtake had to brake hard to let him in or else he would have ploughed into me. I was nearly at a stop at that stage and looked in the rearview mirror to see the guy overtake the final car in the 3 and tear off. Little prick didn’t know or care how close he came to cause carnage. They didn’t do it in my day and I don’t know if they do it now but there really should be some sort of Driver’s Ed classes in secondary school to make lads realise that driving a car means operating a ton and a half of metal that can do untold damage in the wrong hands.

In saying that, I was a stupid cunt behind the wheel when I first started driving. Maybe there is merit in becoming more mature and sensible waiting until your mid-thirties before getting behind the wheel like @Colin Montgomerie .[/QUOTE]

That’s a great post and a very pertinent point about my good self. I still fear a car for the power it exudes. Whatever about that chap’s 7 pals choosing (after drinking) to get in his car, and his own relatively young age, he was the sober designated driver yet felt it appropriate to tear off at breakneck speed before undertaking reckless overtaking manoeuvres. Carrying on like that is beyond my comprehension.

A lot of holy joes on this thread, mostly townies,there were no winners in this episode only losers

I believe tha families that asked for him not to bod jailed were related to him

Cheers. Completely missed that piece of the story. What a cunt