Another horrific accident in Donegal

So am I right in thinking that the woman on the hen has lost her husband, mother, 2 sons and a sister ??

Fucking horrific

The woman and girl who died were the mother and sister of Derry City player Joshua Daniels.

I am not sure a hammer in the car would have helped? As that surely would have ended in a fast moving gush of water/water pressure coming into the car and would have been very difficult to battle against and get yourself out.
Weirdly my boss was talking about something like this a few months back. He was saying that people trapped in cars under water always make the mistake of opening a window or breaking a window and ultimately - that only leads to the people in the car pretty much getting water-boarded. His view was that you let the water in the car fill up, then right before it covers your mouth - take a massive breath and hold it. Wait for the car to fully fill up and you should then be able to open the car door and swim to safety.
After the UK band died in Denmark and also that girl in Cork in the flood water, it was on my mind that they could of lived if they had known this??
Then again my boss could have been full of shite.
Even if true, with a newer car with electric locking and the door is locked - then surely you are fucked either way?
Absolutely tragic and a terrible way for them all to die. Horrible to think of.

It is easy to say that but the mind works completely different in a panic and even armed with that knowledge it wouldn’t be easy to keep your composure to do so, especially with kids in the car

3 Likes

100% agree.
However, if the water was coming in slowly - you might have time to think despite the panic etc. It could be something that could save your life if you had an awareness of what best to do at least.

They were dead on impact from the bridge

If the driver was roaring out the window at passers by then he must have had the window down fully? Couldn’t he have got out? If the car was going down slow surely all the windows could have been opened by the occupants? You’d need to get out before the car goes under as i guess the pressure stops you then. Maybe they couldn’t swim which was another problem/impediment.

Christ, I’m nearly fighting back tears watching the news. Utterly harrowing

1 Like

I avoided this thread and the story as a whole due to the horrors involved in it…but I saw and read the interview of the chap who rescued the baby and like yourself I was on the verge of tears. Utterly devastating and something that be cant fully comprehended . RIP.

2 Likes

Just to echo the sentiments on here of utter shock and horror at what happened.

So tragic it is beyond words.

Just desperate.

The guy who rescued the baby said the driver smashed the window to get the baby out.

The father after getting baby out went back to try save the others.

Lock the thread.

RIP.

It is almost surreal reading about this, horrendous tragedy. RIP.

The father died a hero.

1 Like

The lack of respect, that we as an island nation have for the water, and the dangers it holds, never ceases to amaze me. A shocking tragedy, too awful to contemplate. Can’t even bring myself to listen to the eye witness reports tbh.

1 Like

Yet you’ll take a minute to have a dig at the victims about their lack of respect for the water :rollseyes:

1 Like

Yea, I really put the boot in there alright.

Water scares the shit out of me

3 Likes