Apple iPad

Anyone seen this thing yet?

Can’t say I’m overly impressed despite the massive hype for the product launch.

They’re saying it combines the “processing power of a laptop with the portability of a smartphone.” Well there aren’t many smartphones that size.

It’s a bit like most Apple products really. Nothing that new in it from an overall concept point of view, just well made with one or two nice features. Not really sure why you’d get it instead of a laptop.

Sounds like an ultra-modern sanitary towel

It’s a hayp a shite I think.
It would be awkward enough to use it on your lap or desk-with a laptop you can tilt the screen to suit.

Sick of Apples shit to be honest. They’re a clever company but they’ve gone from user-centred to outright gadget-mongers. They are now essentially a company for bored cunts with too much money.

Bearing in mind that I’m not a particularly technolgically minded person:
i) If this new yoke has no keypad or keyboard, how do you type?
ii) Are the non removable batteries in Apple products simply a scam to make you by more of their stuff when they wear out?
iii) Do other people find Apple computers more poorly designed and far less user friendly than the normal Microsoft PC set up?

I assume yes is the answer to ii) and yes is definitely my answer to iii)

[quote=“sid waddell”]Bearing in mind that I’m not a particularly technolgically minded person:
i) If this new yoke has no keypad or keyboard, how do you type?
ii) Are the non removable batteries in Apple products simply a scam to make you by more of their stuff when they wear out?
iii) Do other people find Apple computers more poorly designed and far less user friendly than the normal Microsoft PC set up?

I assume yes is the answer to ii) and yes is definitely my answer to iii)[/QUOTE]

i) You type with a touchscreen keypad. Similar to the touch-screen mobile phones.
ii) Ya non-removable batteries are a scam
iii) I’d imagine if you started off using MACs then you would find them very good, but I’m not massively gone on them to be honest. They are supposed to be the business though for mulitmedia applications, desgin software etc…

Was in the Apple store and had a look at these, load of rubbish I think, oversized iPhones and nothing more.

Went on to three or four of them and left the TFK Board Room open, another one of our stealth marketing techniques that should help the site break the US market.

The 4G iPhone is on the way, now that should be interesting.

They’re confusing the fuck out of everything if they insist on calling the new iPhone 4G. There’s a difference between a 4th Gen iPhone and the 4G network.

iPad does look shit though. I mean it’s probably fine and everything but just doesn’t do anything special or fit anywhere.

Where the ipad will struggle is the fact that it doesn’t really fill a need, like the iphone or ipod did. There aren’t many situations where you’ll end up thinking, fuck it if only I had an ipad. As far as I know it’s lacking a lot of the functionality that a netbook would have, flash support, USB, multitasking (apparently the bookstore on it is class though).

Well they are rolling out 4G networks in America.
And they also have it in Scandanavia and other areas so as a name goes if it is 4G compatible then it is an acceptable name.

I need an iPad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I

Had a go on the brother in laws iPad
Didn’t really like it to be honest
Good graphics for viewing movies but no USB connection so no external HD
Thing makes no sense to me, can’t upload anything to it from USB or camera( I could be wrong on the latter if there is infrared or something)
Would far prefer a laptop to it

Only time it makes sense is if you are travelling

Yeah I’m acting on the assumption that it isn’t 4G because they took so long getting 3G in the first place. I think they’re just thinking iPhone=1, iPhone 3G=2, iPhone3Gs=3, next one = iPhone4G and aren’t putting the 4G tech into it.

I’d be shocked of they released an iPod 4G that didn’t support 4G.
That would be a marketing disaster.

I think they’ll just call it 4 and let confusion take hold.

looking at a ipad in dcu there few weeks ago… such a waste of money… anybody who would bother buying one should be locked up

Having watched the Modern Family episode recently wheree Phil gets an iPad I decided I needed to enter the market for a tablet. After engaging in virtually no research I decided on the Asus eee Pad Transformer. Came in the post yesterday and it’s deadly. Cross between a netbook and a Tablet (beause of the detachable keyboard). Just an adorable piece of machinery.

What is that running Rocko? Honeycomb?

Yep. Couple of issues with Honeycomb itself but should be ironed out as it gets more stable for tablets.

Do you you see it as a genuine laptop replacement or a supplementary Internet device?
I’m just curious. I won’t buy one until I’m convinced it can do everything my laptop does.