Apple iPad

Nope not a laptop.

See it as an internet browser, media server to my tv, and then some minor typing stuff etc. Definitely not a laptop but handy for my time spent on various forums and watching streaming matches etc.

Ended up buying one of these in the end and I barely use it. Still I got a bit of gratification from the impulse purchase.

What do people make of the Kindle Fire?

It certainly makes a bit of sense to me. From a commercial perspective it just gets Amazon more customers for their e-books and music etc.

Big part of the development is Amazon Silk - their new browser which offers speed bonuses because it caches every site you’ve been to. A company like Amazon having access to every site you visit is a massive opportunity for them.

Ya, Facebook are doing it too, via the like button you see on most websites. Massive advertising potential.

Yeah just think it’s bigger for Amazon for two reasons:

1. They’re a direct retailer
  2. They’re doing this via a browser so don’t need to pay or do anything special to aggregate the data. They get perfect consumer information handed to them directly on a plate and they have everything for sale that their conusmer needs.

Oh ya it’s huge for them alright, but I suppose the issue for them is whether or not they can get a good market share. What kind of price range are they pitching it at? They would need to undercut apple and then count on the extra sales to make up the difference.

It’s half Apple’s price but that’s without 3G or a camera or microphone. I imagine they’ll come in version 2.

Also it’s US only for the moment.

Did ye see Microsoft struck a deal with Samsung over patent sharing.
And google bought motorola.

Amazon are becoming a serious player in the “cloud” space as well.

Interesting times ahead.

Microsoft also brought out their windows phone update that brings loads of new features to catch up with Android and Apple.
Given that Android manufacturers are being sued by Microsoft for patent infringement Android will be more expensive than Windows phones in the long term as they have to pay a patent fee to Microsoft.

If Microsoft can integrate Windows 8 and the newest Windows phone successfully for both consumers and business users to all kinds of products from Media Centre to Office 365 to Skydrive then the market could skew their way rather quickly.

If they fuck it up they could turn into IBM just as quick.

It’s a very big 12 months ahead for Microsoft, Nokia and RIM. If Microsoft don’t crack the “smart” market this time around then they can forget about it. Nokia will be somewhat reliant on Microsoft getting it right as I believe their smartphone will be running the Windows system and they are losing market share hand over fist. Similar applies to RIM, as business users seem to abandoning them in their droves to switch to the iphone. The iphone and the blackberry have nearly traded places in terms of users. The executives all want to be trendy with their iphones, where as the kids are seeing there parents with iphones and want something different (e.g. the Blackberry curve).

It sounds like Microsoft are betting the farm on this “Metro UI” that is in Windows Phone, Windows 8 and expect to see it everywhere in between.

That’s the beginning and the end. If people hate it then they are done.

To anyone who has an ipad or any tablet pc, what would you generally use it for? Would it fully replace a laptop or is it just for social browsing and general messing around and maybe streaming stuff etc.? I’m finding myself wanting one but not really sure what I’d use it for!

I use it to post on forums and that’s it. I intend using it on flights, in hotels and that sort of thing but to be honest it just sits in the corner most of the time and I take it out when I’m expecting visitors so I can make a good impression.

That Kindle Fire looks excellent if you’re in the market for something with a different slant to it than a normal tablet.

Mainly use mine for purchasing newspapers, it gathers dust a lot of the time though. Get more use out of my Kindle.

I don’t have one but they are just an expensive gadget. It wouldnt really replace a laptop.

It would replace a laptop for simpletons who just want a laptop for “internet and facebook”.

But for people who use their laptop for work it wouldn’t nearly do all the things you want it to.
Until laptops and tablets are the same funtionality wise I won’t be buying one.
Hopefully by then work will give me one.

Pretty much nail on the head right there.

If you use your laptop for torrents or browsing the occasional bit of Willie Thorn forget about it as a laptop replacement.

Would any of the techies recommend the tablet on special here?

http://www.crazydeals.ie/

Full details of it here - http://www.dinodirect.com/tablet-pc-google-android-touch-screen-wifi-camera.html?cur=cad&Affid=2659

Could this be used for Internet anywhere like an iPad or just through Wifi?

iPad!!!

What’s the read on the Black Friday value. What time does it start. Midnight or what. C’mon man!

From looking at that I reckon it’s wi-fi only, also heard very mixzed reports on those cheaper tablets.
Some are pure shit all together.

What’s the story with the Kindle Fire? Is that available here yet? Or can you get it from the US and just use it via wi-fi. Might be a better option for similar money.

Think it started on Amazon yesterday.