Apple

[quote=“ciarancareyshurlingarmy, post: 894132, member: 464”]Apple batteries are well known to have a poor lifespan, they make it difficult to replace one but it can be done as you proved.

One of my young fellas does phone & ipod repairs as a sideline for pocket money. 4 hours is long but it would easily taker an hour+ for someone experienced with those pieces of shite. You need a jewellers magnifying glass (or similar) plus a couple of miniature tools.[/quote]

Yeah, the crowd I bought the battery from supplied me with tools also but they were shite enough. I never want to see the inside of one of these again no matter how much someone offers me though.

Word of your success in repairing an iphone as opposed to purchasing a new one seems to have caused consternation in the markets, with Apple shares down 5% since this announcement.

[quote=“briantinnion, post: 894123, member: 6”]This is my greatest ever achievement.

Have an iPhone 5 that I purchased in October 2012. About last August / September started getting problems with the on/off button and the battery. On/off button would only work sporadically and was seriously head wrecking. Battery also went to shite around the same time and would sometimes die around 30% without any warning. Phone was still under warranty but I wasn’t arsed bringing it in and having some techie fuck look into my browsing history. I suffered on until last week when my phone died on the way back from the Arsenal match (despite having one of those cases with an additional battery in it) and I lost contact with my travel companion who’d ended up in Brighton.

To cut a long story short I bought a new battery and power button circuit on Amazon for about £10. Spent four hours taking apart my phone last Saturday following a guide on iFixit. Process was a nightmare and I almost cried several times as I thought I’d never get the phone back together. The guide is 40 steps to taking everything apart and it just says do them in reverse to put it all back together. But I fucking did it and the result was an astounding success. Battery lasting twice as long, no longer needs a charge during the day and my power button actually works. It’s fucking superb.

Lesson for others - batteries are a piece of piss to replace and can be done in about 20 mins. A new one costs about £6. Only do the power button if you have small hands that aren’t shakey though.[/quote]
Was iPhone 5 out in 2012?

Anyway, well done BT. I’m on an iPhone 4 and the battery life is gone to shite. Needs to be charged twice a day so have to bring a cable to work every day and the lock button at the top no longer works so I had to change the settings to add an additional button to the touchscreen to lock it. Was thinking of jacking it in and buying a 5 but you may have just inspired me to do as you did.

It’s also getting a bit slow and laggy, should I upgrade to iOS 7 or whatever the new one is at this stage?

Rightly so, Tinnion would be a lot more influential in Manhattan than my 16 year-old

Edit - down 8.5% now

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 894153, member: 1533”]Was iPhone 5 out in 2012?

Anyway, well done BT. I’m on an iPhone 4 and the battery life is gone to shite. Needs to be charged twice a day so have to bring a cable to work every day and the lock button at the top no longer works so I had to change the settings to add an additional button to the touchscreen to lock it. Was thinking of jacking it in and buying a 5 but you may have just inspired me to do as you did.

It’s also getting a bit slow and laggy, should I upgrade to iOS 7 or whatever the new one is at this stage?[/quote]

First generation iPhone 5 came out in 2012.

I had to use the on screen button also. Drove me fucking insane.

Back up your phone and give it a go. If it works great, if it doesn’t you were going to replace it anyway. You need plenty of light, reading glasses, about 15 cups or glasses (to put the tiny screws in once you remove them).

I’m delighted with the result, a real feel good story for everyone. The Amazon store I used was Jazooli and they say the battery they supply is ‘high capacity’.

Cheers BT, I’ll hold off til I get home then give it a go.

I reckon it is only women who bring back gadgets for that reason.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1623331_786747758020466_1859889919_n.jpg

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 830342, member: 258”]A Nokia Tablet is supposedly on the way. And Surface 2.
I still don’t get the whole RT/iPad strategy. Microsoft need to be pushing x64 tablets and hybrids and show they are just as powerful and useful as a laptop but are now are multifaceted devices that encompass touch. As opposed to iPads\Android tablets that are much more limited in what they can do.

I have a Lumia 920 and I used to be an iPhone guy.
I can’t say I miss the iPhone at all. And any time I pick one up these days I immediately laugh at how small the screen is. The Microsoft products are good. But the ecosystem [i.e. The lack of apps] and the perpetual bad marketing are killing the products.

The ecosystem problem is a vicious circle.
People won’t make apps for your product because you don’t have enough users.
People won’t buy your products because you don’t have enough apps and you market them poorly.[/quote]
Been using a Lumia 920 for a couple of weeks now. It’s a bit weighty but you get used to that very quickly. Otherwise the system is miles ahead of either iPhones or Androids. Much better software.

In what way, bro? I went to the dark side and bought an iPhone about 16 months ago but wouldn’t mind changing again. I fucking hate Apple. I had a Samsung Galaxy before that but had loads of problems with the battery and turning itself off and on.

The tiles are a much more intuitive and convenient way of interacting with the phone than the static icons on an iphone or the ungainly widgets on Android. It’s a much better thought out operating system and as a result all the apps (though there aren’t many) feel more similar and obvious. If you use a lot of apps don’t go for it. If you spend most of your time using internet, watching videos, texting, whatsapping and calling etc then you’ll be fine.

Big current downside is there is no native TFK app at the moment.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 909810, member: 1”]The tiles are a much more intuitive and convenient way of interacting with the phone than the static icons on an iphone or the ungainly widgets on Android. It’s a much better thought out operating system and as a result all the apps (though there aren’t many) feel more similar and obvious. If you use a lot of apps don’t go for it. If you spend most of your time using internet, watching videos, texting, whatsapping and calling etc then you’ll be fine.

Big current downside is there is no native TFK app at the moment.[/quote]
I meet those criteria apart from whatsapp which I got rid of because it was annoying the shit out of me. I have fuck all apps-the only ones I use are TFK, Twitter, Facebook, Paddy Power and Irish Times-would it have those? Apart from TFK which you’ve already answered but that rarely seems to work these days mate-never seems to refresh properly.

I moved from the Lumia 920, which I was pretty happy with to the Lumia 1520, which has a massive screen.
It also came with the new version of the Windows Phone software which has, higher quality screen, 20MP camera, car mode, allows more tiles on home page etc. This is a pic of the 1520 next to an iPhone 5:

The size of the phone is not for everyone. Size wise it is referred to as a “phablet”.
The early version of the 1520 has some small glitches that will be fixed in the next software release.
The screen can be overly sensitive at times and the data connection can be a little flakey. They’ll be fixed and when they are I’ll be even more happy with it… They seem specific to the 1520. I didn’t have those problems with the 920. The battery is much better than the 920. The camera on it is superb. I should really make more use of it. If you are big into photography the Lumia 1020 has a 41MP camera. The Nokia camera software with the phone is top notch and the overall camera quality has been a big differentiator with rival phones.

The apps issue isn’t a big deal. They have the main apps. Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, Viber, Spotify etc… I have my Slingbox working on it to which is just beautiful on the big screen. PP mobile web site appears when you go to PaddyPower and it’s fine to work with. The TFK mobile site works fine on it. It could do with a couple of tweaks but nothing major.

Windows Phone is gaining traction in growing markets and as a result app makers are paying a bit more attention to it. And with Microsoft buying Nokia they seem to be increasing their investment.
The whole mobile market is quite interesting at the moment.

Android have a big lead, but every Android that is sold Microsoft get money on a bunch of patents. They make $2bn a year from it. So Microsoft basically have 2 of the top 3 covered. If Android and WP push Apple out of the market then Microsoft has the scales tipped in their favour. Apple’s numbers are declining across the board. WP is actually ahead of Apple in some big regions. e.g. France, Italy and Latin America. As those numbers continue to grow, the ecosystem problem that Microsoft have will start to resolve itself.

Bought a few Nokia shares last Spring and have nearly doubled my money at this stage… Was planning to cash out soon and throw the money into something else but thing i’ll HOLD for now.

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 909862, member: 258”]
Android have a big lead, but every Android that is sold Microsoft get money on a bunch of patents. They make $2bn a year from it. So Microsoft basically have 2 of the top 3 covered. If Android and WP push Apple out of the market then Microsoft has the scales tipped in their favour. Apple’s numbers are declining across the board. WP is actually ahead of Apple in some big regions. e.g. France, Italy and Latin America. As those numbers continue to grow, the ecosystem problem that Microsoft have will start to resolve itself.[/quote]

You’re underestimating the amount of Apple followers who still exist out there who’ll queue for weeks before the next ‘new’ device is released. They’ll always provide a solid foundation no matter how shite the product is.

Are they loyal followers of Apple or fickle followers of the cool new thing?
Because there is a big difference.

Windows will never be cool.

on a samsung s4 now, changed from a motorola RAZR that was pretty crap

That’s probably true. But I don’t think even close all the people who have iPhones are incredibly loyal to Apple.
There are only a small pocket who are loyal to Apple, a separate pocket who’re fickle and want the shiny cool thing and then a huge band of regular consumers who want something that suits their needs and are up for grabs.

The shiny new things could be the wearables war that is about to kick off with smart-watches and google glass etc…
You may not have to be all that cool to make ground in the mobile markets. Mobiles all pretty much do the same thing now anyway.

I’ve 3 phone now. A Lumia 520 my personal phone, a samsung s3 mini (work phone) and iphone 4S (foreign work phone). The lumia cost me €89 and it’s certainly my favorite. Skydrive (now onedrive) and office work great on the phone. I use skydrive on both samsung and iphone, works way better than google drive or dropbox. There is an update coming soon to make customers are looking for (for some reason the pc side of microsoft aren’t doing this). What I really love about it is that it is so quick moving between apps and it much more intuitive than the others. There is way less apps. But once you put a few apps on samsung s3 mini, it goes as slow as fuck. The only thing I use the iphone for is taking photos. But microsoft is not cool, but nokia is helping them in that regard. I had a lumia 800 and it was the best looking phone I ever had.