Apple

I was thinking of getting one of the following:
Any help would be appreciated.

ACER V5-571P 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop ā‚¬850
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-V5571P-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Silver/314609/104.9

ACER Aspire V5-571P 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Silver ā‚¬720
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-V5571P-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Silver/315314/104.9

LENOVO G700 17.3" Laptop ā‚¬750
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LENOVO-G700-173andquot-Laptop/315353/104.9

LENOVO Z500T 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop ā‚¬690
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LENOVO-Z500T-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Dark-Chocolate/314610/104.9

@Rocko is usually a good man to advise on laptops but I think heā€™s busy and may be offline.

[quote=ā€œstones_off, post: 846203, member: 1559ā€]I was thinking of getting one of the following:
Any help would be appreciated.

ACER V5-571P 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop ā‚¬850
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-V5571P-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Silver/314609/104.9

ACER Aspire V5-571P 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Silver ā‚¬720
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-V5571P-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Silver/315314/104.9

LENOVO G700 17.3" Laptop ā‚¬750
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LENOVO-G700-173andquot-Laptop/315353/104.9

LENOVO Z500T 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop ā‚¬690
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LENOVO-Z500T-156andquot-Touchscreen-Laptop-Dark-Chocolate/314610/104.9[/quote]
The Acer is a very good laptop. Lenovo isnā€™t bad either, but not quite as good and not quite as much for your money, apart from the larger screen.

Picking between the Acers just depends on what you want to spend really. The price difference is probably marginally bigger than the performance difference maybe - hard to say. If you were going for the more expensive Acer, it might be worth it to go a small bit dearer again and get this:
http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb-02pc/80011399/acer-aspire-v3-772g-747a8g50makk/details.aspx

Check around before buying anyway: that second Acer is slightly cheaper on expansys, though itā€™s out of stock at the moment.

Just buy a chromebook with an online version of auto cad

With a Chromebook can you get microsoft office or just google docs? Because Google docs is crap unless you want to do something very basic.

Another question, If I buy a new laptop will it have windows 8.1 on it or will I get windows 8 and I have to upgrade?

[quote=ā€œstones_off, post: 846601, member: 1559ā€]With a Chromebook can you get microsoft office or just google docs? Because Google docs is crap unless you want to do something very basic.
[/quote]

Only has Google Docs. The word and ppt equivalent are alright. Spreadsheets is improving but still a bit clunky. Depends on what you need to do. You can save all files in the office version if sending on.

I pretty much send all day looking at spreadsheets, so excel is the most important thing for me. (Iā€™m differently the PC from the ā€œIā€™m a Mac and Iā€™m a PCā€ ads. Simple things like showing you sum or average of cells you have highlighted is great.

Chromebook probably not for you then. Its more of a tablet with a keyboard than a laptop replacement. Google spreadsheets getting better though.

Chromebollix

My iphone is fucked since I ā€œupgradedā€ to iOs 7.0.3
Anytime I connect a cable to it I get told the accessory is not supported, so I canā€™t charge it properly.
Annoying as fuck. If I restore it from an old backup do I lose my text messages? Iā€™m assuming so.

[quote=ā€œTreatyStones, post: 854667, member: 1786ā€]My iphone is fucked since I ā€œupgradedā€ to iOs 7.0.3
Anytime I connect a cable to it I get told the accessory is not supported, so I canā€™t charge it properly.
Annoying as fuck. If I restore it from an old backup do I lose my text messages? Iā€™m assuming so.[/quote]
From what I have heard there is no way back from the upgrade. Youā€™re stuck.

@Rocko, you mentioned an app update. May be overdue because I find itā€™s getting slow. But please do NOT let it be only compatible with iOS7.

[quote=ā€œTreatyStones, post: 854667, member: 1786ā€]My iphone is fucked since I ā€œupgradedā€ to iOs 7.0.3
Annoying as fuck. If I restore it from an old backup do I lose my text messages? Iā€™m assuming so.[/quote]

Still on iOS 5. My refusal to upgrade is serving me well

[quote=ā€œglasagusban, post: 854676, member: 1533ā€]From what I have heard there is no way back from the upgrade. Youā€™re stuck.
[/quote]

Well I could try to restore it from an old backup? The phone basically useless to me at the moment. These are genuine apple cables Iā€™m using too :mad:

Buy a fucking Android and get over it.

+1. I havenā€™t met anybody yet who is happy with the switch. Luckily, I am a renegade and plough my own furrow unlike sheep like @The Runt who has to be seen with the bright new shiny toy.

Youā€™re the techie man. Any article I read when it came out first said there was no way back.

I recently ditched my iphone in favour of the Galaxy S4.
I donā€™t regret the decision one bit, a great phone.

[quote=ā€œTreatyStones, post: 865467, member: 1786ā€]I recently ditched my iphone in favour of the Galaxy S4.
I donā€™t regret the decision one bit, a great phone.[/quote]

:rolleyes:
Alright pal, we donā€™t want your life story

This is my greatest ever achievement.

Have an iPhone 5 that I purchased in October 2012. About last August / September started getting problems with the on/off button and the battery. On/off button would only work sporadically and was seriously head wrecking. Battery also went to shite around the same time and would sometimes die around 30% without any warning. Phone was still under warranty but I wasnā€™t arsed bringing it in and having some techie fuck look into my browsing history. I suffered on until last week when my phone died on the way back from the Arsenal match (despite having one of those cases with an additional battery in it) and I lost contact with my travel companion whoā€™d ended up in Brighton.

To cut a long story short I bought a new battery and power button circuit on Amazon for about Ā£10. Spent four hours taking apart my phone last Saturday following a guide on iFixit. Process was a nightmare and I almost cried several times as I thought Iā€™d never get the phone back together. The guide is 40 steps to taking everything apart and it just says do them in reverse to put it all back together. But I fucking did it and the result was an astounding success. Battery lasting twice as long, no longer needs a charge during the day and my power button actually works. Itā€™s fucking superb.

Lesson for others - batteries are a piece of piss to replace and can be done in about 20 mins. A new one costs about Ā£6. Only do the power button if you have small hands that arenā€™t shakey though.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œbriantinnion, post: 894123, member: 6ā€]This is my greatest ever achievement.

Have an iPhone 5 that I purchased in October 2012. About last August / September started getting problems with the on/off button and the battery. On/off button would only work sporadically and was seriously head wrecking. Battery also went to shite around the same time and would sometimes die around 30% without any warning. Phone was still under warranty but I wasnā€™t arsed bringing it in and having some techie fuck look into my browsing history. I suffered on until last week when my phone died on the way back from the Arsenal match (despite having one of those cases with an additional battery in it) and I lost contact with my travel companion whoā€™d ended up in Brighton.

To cut a long story short I bought a new battery and power button circuit on Amazon for about Ā£10. Spent four hours taking apart my phone last Saturday following a guide on iFixit. Process was a nightmare and I almost cried several times as I thought Iā€™d never get the phone back together. The guide is 40 steps to taking everything apart and it just says do them in reverse to put it all back together. But I fucking did it and the result was an astounding success. Battery lasting twice as long, no longer needs a charge during the day and my power button actually works. Itā€™s fucking superb.

Lesson for others - batteries are a piece of piss to replace and can be done in about 20 mins. A new one costs about Ā£6. Only do the power button if you have small hands that arenā€™t shakey though.[/quote]

Apple batteries are well known to have a poor lifespan, they make it difficult to replace one but it can be done as you proved.

One of my young fellas does phone & ipod repairs as a sideline for pocket money. 4 hours is long but it would easily taker an hour+ for someone experienced with those pieces of shite. You need a jewellers magnifying glass (or similar) plus a couple of miniature tools.