Argentina Backers Sign In

What would you say was the beginning of the end for the English Dan, on a wider scale in general, not just in a footballing sense? Such lofty heights were reached with the Empire, it’s hard to pinpoint where exactly it all went tits up

1 Like

John Bullshitter seethes at success. John Bullshitter has never experienced success.

Argentina always had the hipster Irish connection too

I heard today that they have the 5th largest Irish diaspora in the world.

1 Like

It was written in the stars

There was a time when South America was just as if not more attractive for immigrants as North America. Good farm land to be got cheaply and as the Spainish were in charge Catholics were welcomed.
The Irish have a huge handprint all over South America. O’Higgins in Chile. O’Shea Guevarra. Admiral Brown. There was an Irish descendent president of Uruguay as well.
A lot of prominent Irish families fled as the Wild Geese that time from Spain and ended up in its colonies as large landowners and powerful people.
Also of course in central America a lot of Irish were sent as forced labour. Barbados is covered in Irish names.
They were particularly prominent in the Chilean independence movement.

3 Likes

Funnily enough I was rewatching band of brothers recently and while I admit it may sound incredibly stupid but clearly back in the day the uk and America produced seriously impressive people but i often wondered did they lose so many of their best and brightest in the two world wars that they are just producing people from the bunch of stupid cunts left over.

It’s hard to pin point where the states went from world war 2 to the absolute basket case it is nowadays.

2 Likes

The friggin’ split season has a lot to answer for. An international disaster.

2 Likes

Did the Irish language ever migrate to South America? On one of my trips to Argentina, I stopped off in the Chubut Province in Patagonia where Welsh is still widely spoken.

What was Martinez at with the golden hand ? Sticking it to the locals ? He’s a bit rough looking as are most of the team. Bit more elegance and class with the French :wink:

Nice guys dont win world cups. I actually thought argies would get cynical and maintain a low block cc @estebandaface after their two opening goals but they kept going for it and let french back in. An average Argentina team had to run on emotion and adrenaline - think Messi realised that in Holland game and if it spilled over so be it.

4 Likes

They tried holding on to leads and couldn’t so went balls out in a world cup final. That just demands respect

I still maintain scaloni is a basket case

2 Likes

I have never seen a team so hyped up on emotion. Obviously it was savage fuel, but it nearly killed them as well.

2 Likes

Brazil v Germany when they were mourning Neymar’s death. Didn’t work out so well for them

Rodrigo De Paul is the sexiest player alive

1 Like

They were genuinely worthy winners in a football sense though. Their 2nd goal was a thing of beauty. One touch football the length of the pitch bar Messi’s two, the second of which was sublime.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better team world cup goal. As much as they had the individual genius in Messi, I felt they were far more of a team than France.

Deserved winners. It was a magical world cup final. Credit France too for coming back from the dead. Mbappe is incredible.

5 Likes

Julian Alvarez is the real deal. He has had a sensational world cup for a 22 year old. Man City were extremely cute in signing him for 14 million.

He has the right attitude. A team player. Seems to have no ego, will run all day for the team.

For 75-80 minutes he looked a better young player than Mbappe if you hadnt seen either players prior CVs.

Obviously Mbappe turned the game on its head after that with an exceptional input but Alvarez had some world cup final himself.

Man City have a proper young gem there.

1 Like