Association Football Kits

That was a fantastic jersey.

1 Like

And this.

While not ideal, it would have been much worse had it been the 2012 jersey

Umbro signing up Manchester United in 1992 was a big deal. They went all in in terms of effort on the designs in the first few years and Dublin schools were festooned with various Manchester United jackets and coats and whatever else.

This thing was everywhere in the winter of 1992/93.

But the cooler Manchester United supporting kids wore this.

It didn’t help that Liverpool’s kits and general merchandise of the time was dreadful.

That changed in the summer of 1995, when this shirt arrived:

And these were everywhere.

Then after one year we got fucking Reebok.

Good God. There’s an eye condition called reversal of vision metamorphopsia, where your eye sees things upside down or inside out, and all wavy at the same time. That jersey was a visual representation of what it must be like.

Azzurri were not only shite quality, they were fucking fit inducing in their shiteness of design. God help your eyesight.

I liked the initial Reebok shirts. The home, the ecru and then a yellow.

The collar of the Liverpool shirt in 1996 was a shocker.

This was magnificent

The shock of the new. It was one of those everybody hated at first, and then hated less, and was then ambivalent about, and then liked, and then loved.

The 1998-2000 Reebok kit wasn’t bad. And the Istanbul kit. But they still had Reebok logos on them. Same as the current kit isn’t bad. But it still has a Nike logo on it. Liverpool kits aren’t meant to be made by Reebok or Nike. Umbro or Adidas or anonymous or go home.

1 Like

Definitely not Warrior or New Balance anyway.

I have a slight soft spot (or hard spot if you prefer) for the 2013-14 Warrior jersey.

That was a nice jersey alright.

But the away kits were utterly horrific.

What’s that fucking shitheap?

That crest is fucking shite

A short series: companies who became enduringly well known and generate instinctively positive thoughts in the minds of men in their early 40s in Ireland, purely through football shirt sponsorship

1. Revigres
1 Like

What an account :heart_eyes:

1. CR Smith. Originally this Scottish window firm sponsored both Celtic and Rangers. But their partnership with Rangers ended in 1987 and they became firmly identified as a Fenian company, most especially during Celtic’s double winning season of 1987/88. They are not known primarily as a window firm but as a fellow Fenian traveller on glorious sunny days at the old Hampden Park.

2 Likes
  1. ERG. I don’t know what ERG is, but I know that when a group of Brexiter Tory headbangers decided to call themselves the ERG, all anybody thought was "why are they naming themselves after classic era Sampdoria’s sponsor? But even the Tory headbangers stealing their name could not dispel the positive image of the real ERG, whatever it was.

1 Like