Athletics Thread

2 superb finals there. Inga is a pure freak. Poor Keeley must be sick of Silver medals

India and Pakistan to the fore in the Javelin. Not what you’re used to seeing usually

They’ve had plenty of practice firing rocks across the border at each other the past few years

4 Likes

We’re currently level with the Germans in the medal table

1 Like

Anyone have an independent sub?

There just aren’t the same characters in the javelin these days. You need Steve Backley trying and failing to beat Jan Zelezny and Mick Hill trying and failing to beat Steve Backley, and a random Finn in the mix.

1 Like

Seppo Raty

1 Like

Jamaican sprinting is fucked.

Ladies up in 5 mins. Hope they set a NR and don’t finish last

2 Likes

They could do both!

Kimo Kinonnen is another name I recall. The Finns loved their javelin, ski jumping and rally driving.

I was just thinking there though that there really aren’t the same household names in track and field that you used to get.

Like even the stars now like Karsten Warholm or Sydney McLaughlin or this Ingebritsen fella or Kiyegon, they just don’t have the star quality.

The female sprints seems to be a partial exception, this Sha’Carri Richardson has star quality in spades and we all know Shelly Anne Fraser-Pryce, and Rhashida has that star quality too.

When I was a young lad though the names Carl Lewis, Said Aouita, Heike Drechsler, Sergey Bubka, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Flo-Jo, Daley Thompson, these were titanic names everybody who followed sport all knew.

We were intimately familiar with the British stars of the time like Coe, Ovett, Linford Christie, Kriss Akabusi, Steve Cram, Zola Budd (not British), Liz McColgan, Peter Elliott, Yvonne Murray, Sally Gunnell, John Regis, Tom McKean, the javelin lads etc, even perennial middle distance also rans Rob Denmark and Richard Nerurkar (I only think of that name in a Brendan Foster voice).

I think we’re familiar with them in a way we’re not really familiar with, say, Josh Kerr.

Usain Bolt, maybe Mo Farah, maybe Haile Gebreselassie and Hicham El Guerrouj, these are some of the few names to become real crossover stars over the last couple of decades or so.

Armagh flag on show.

Lord Kilclooney will surely fire out a good luck tweet quicksmart.

Unreal

Orange Juice

Some last leg there for the Dutch

And sharlene

Bol fuckin hell an animal.

1 Like

Beat the French.

Well done girls

1 Like

Denman esque

Femke Bol is on a different planet. She’s ridiculous

6 Likes