Athletics Thread

I might head over to that. An hour’s drive

2 Likes

European Athletics Championship 2026 is on in Birmingham
Would expectation be for full/fullish strength fields?

1 Like

I’d imagine so. Like in Berlin in 2022 it should be the primary championships of the summer, unless there’s Commonwealth games on too for some of the Brits

Munich.

The Commonwealth Games was on in 2022 in Birmingham shortly before the Europeans but was the secondary focus for British and Irish athletes.

There is currently no firm plan in place for a 2026 Commonwealth Games.

I remember 2022 as a knowledgeable German crowd. The city was a secondary memory

I never forget events that happen in front of the ICONIC roof in Munich.

Olympic bronze medalist 400m hurdles Femke Bol up now on BBC 2

Wins 52.25.

Olympic champion Tebogo wins 200m in 19.63.

Looking like Glasgow for the Commonwealths. It was due to be hosted by Victoria which was always going to be a disaster. Multiple towns and cities hosting single events.

Looked like much harder work than she’d like. I’d say she’s still feeling the effects of Paris and being bulldozed.

1 Like

I thought she ran a great race, just did her own thing, came from behind and won by a mile in a very good time

Sure it’d be very boring if we all saw the race in the same way

Why are they running in these with such a quick turnaround lads, is it good money or are they contracted to so many appearances?

Relatively good money and there’s points towards some sort of grand final with better money.

1 Like

Everyone running there is on a sponsorship deal with one of the shoe brands. Diamond League is their bread and butter. Prize money for everyone who runs and may be written into sponsorship deals. Some will also want to qualify for final in Brussels and may not have enough points accumulated yet so need to run to get there.

And then in the case of the likes of Rhasidat or Dena Asher Smith, it’s a chance to banish the demons of Paris before the season ends. Rhasidats race on Sunday is effectively an Olympic Final again.

2 Likes

Tickets available for as cheap as 30 zloty. 7 fuckin euro. You could splash out on the expensive ones for 20 quid. And a clatter of Olympic Champions and World Record holders going. Nick Griggs, Sarah Healy and Rhasidat going from here. A clatter of Poles going too including the lovely Kaczmarek who the home crowd will be roaring on.

A no brainer to go to if you can.

3 Likes

I see Coach Flo has changed his tune on OTB and is taking responsibility for not getting Ireland 2 Olympic medals. He didn’t convince Rhasidat to run quick enough basically!

https://twitter.com/TheCartelDel/status/1826885980533436904

4 Likes

He should be running 200 as well the way he picks up!