Athletics Thread

An interesting looking character. Shame to hear about his own issues, sorry to see Irish sports dragged into another doping story though.

I mean this in the nicest way possible towards the lad, but it’s a shocking waste of talent. I remember being at a talk 10 or 12 years ago given by James Nolan and he gave an insight to the life of a professional middle distance athlete. It’s probably one of the loneliest sports / disciplines you could be involved in. You’re completely on your own and the slightest variance from your routine or regime can have massive negative impacts. You’re judged by one thing only which is your times. Very few serious athletes can make it work in Ireland due a lack of proper facilities and funding so you face spending a massive amount of time away from home and family literally on your own.

In saying that, it’s unforgivable for any athlete to take any illegal substance. Obviously Martin has other issues he needs to sort out and hopefully he’ll be able to over the next 2 years or whatever ban he’s given. He’s only 28 or 29 I think so it’s not completely career ending. His reputation will be at rock bottom but at least he’ll have a chance to prove himself again before he retires hopefully.

Between this and the Dean Windass story over the weekend, you’d wonder about how many professional sports people actually suffer from major mental illnesses. The more that highlight it the better in my opinion as it might hopefully help the general public accept it as an illness that doesn’t need a stigma attached to it.

It wouldn’t be EPO I’d be testing that lad for…

Interesting article.

Hard not to feel sympathy with him when you read about his mental anguish and having listened a number of times to the likes of Gillick you realise what a tough sport it is at any distance. Marathon running must be even tougher on the brain.

That said I’m very surprised at how quickly he has given that interview. He was in Houston for that marathon a couple of days ago. So he found out about the positive test, returned home and gave an interview in which he opened up about his mental health. Not knocking it necessarily but it seems very sudden. The interview comes across almost as though he has come to terms with his problem already.

May be crass to say it but I had the exact same thought process when I read his quotes, Rocko. EPO for depression? Hmmmm. As I say, maybe I’m being a dick.

I read somewhere sometime that its higher by a few % in sportsmen than the general population, could be wrong but i think 15% was a number i have in my head.

It all seems a bit convenient. He took EPO once and got caught - that’s pretty unlikely! He’s putting it out there that he’s the victim and with the reaction I’ve been seeing online, he’ll probably be accepted back in two years (if he wants to) whereas when Lombard admitted it (but wasn’t depressed), served his time and won the National Cross country title, nobody clapped when he won or got his medal.

But deservedly so.

Agreed. I didn’t want Lombard back (although I did take some pleasure in him denying a South African our national title) but I think Fagan will get a much easier time on the basis of a story I think is very dubious.

Hmmm, I’d believe that O’Riordan is a man that knows things, and if he’s prepared to give Fagan the benefit of the doubt I’m happy that his story is true.
It’s an awful story, mind you. Distance running must be one of the most thankless sports in the world, save for the select few.

Well he didn’t say he took the EPO to cure the depression. He took it to run faster so he woul feel better about himself to improve his mood. Sad tale really. Must be fucking sickening to break your hole your whole life at something and realise eventually that your just not good enough. Won’t happen many of us in our careers as we wont be judged by such black and white standards, or so publically

His coach was on Off The Ball there around 7.30 and spoke very well about it

I think depression may be a convenient excuse for taking performance enhancing drugs. As Rocko says, he’s processed it and opened up about it on a national platform very quickly. Would the loneliness of a long distance runner not have been something he’d have to cope with irrespective of whether he was running quickly or not? I’m just suspicious of him. Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt, I don’t know.

Yeah I’m not making a call either way. Might hav been advised to just come clean. As thraw said I’d be willing to accept Ian o’riordan as being a decent guide on this, always thought he was an alright sort.

Good discussion on this case on Setanta now. O’Riordan not quite as forgiving of Fagan now but interesting dialogue with Kimmage.

Getting into quite a debate now. Kimmage is saying the story is totally implausible.

Any chance you can record it and post it up here?

David Matthews leaning to Kimmage’s side. Think they’re basically concluding that Fagan was trying to evade the test when he was caught so his story isn’t that straightforward and the immediate forgiveness is hasty.

Well rocko?

Eddie O Sullivan making a good point that he should accepted the punishment first and not put his excuse centre stage.

Kimmage said Martin and a certain Olympic swimmer declined to appear on the show.