Athletics Thread

Imteresting stuff, I’d like to watch that

Recording now but missed most of it on record. I’ll grab a repeat though.

O’Riordan getting personal stick now. Fantastic viewing.

Ah FFS. I have to get to see this. When’s it repeated?

Eamonn Sweeney wrote something similar to this in Sindo today if someone could post it up. He’s well into athletics on fairness to him.

9.45 this evening.

Just read that. A right swipe at the Irish Times and O’Riordan. :popcorn:

Thanks.

Ian O’Riordan has just tweeted:

[font=Georgia][size=4]“3 hr run in Dublin Mountains. Feel I got some fat vile Sunday hacks off my back”[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=4] :guns: :lol:[/size][/font]

:clap:
I’ve corresponded with Ian before, he’s an alright sort if ever there was one.

Here’s video of the Setanta discussion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnydu9_martinfagan_sport

Lovely stuff rocko. Going to watch this later. Much appreciated!

Super viewing. I think Fagan’s story sounds suspect but equally Kimmage is wrong to put forward the view that all athletes get depression. While loneliness etc might be a common feature for many in athletics clearly some suffer from depression and others do not so to say all athletes suffer from it is wrong. O’Riordan’s pop at Kimmage at start of video was little bit petty considering good work Kimmage has done in the area though overall he comes across as a decent guy who got pinned into a corner partly because of his own fault.
O’Sullivan was very amusing at the end. He is a bright guy but does he not get that it would be in the IRB’s interest to play down a positive test?

Yeah that wasn’t a great comment from Kimmage though I think he may have explained himself badly - I think he may have been suggesting that just because Fagan said he was depressed after a race doesn’t mean he was suffering from depression. If the only examples of depression that he mentioned to O’Riordan were related to running then it smacks of convenience, though you have to accept that it may not be.

Anyway the other points (basically that the story as told was inconsistent with normality and that the idea that one guy took EPO once, and took it for depression, is fairly implausible and deserved questioning at least).

Did you put up that video, Rocko? Thanks a bunch if so. Going to settle down with a mug of tea tomorrow evening and watch it.

I did indeed Thraw. Forgot to brand it with TFK.

Huge thanks again for that, Rocko, I watched that on Friday evening finally and it was superb TV. Just had a phone call from my father there after he’d watched it too. Kimmage is not a man you’d want to get on the wrong side of, Ian’s eyebrows looked like they were on loan from Didi Hamann. Interesting points raised anyway, I certainly am slightly dubious about Fagan’s tale now, anyhow.

No worries. It’s a great watch alright. Had missed the first couple of minutes live so was only when I was watching it back I realised O’Riordan started on the offensive with that dig at Kimmage in his opening line. Had less sympathy for him then.

It was a hell of a dig to start off with. I’d say he regretted it once Kimmage started haranguing him.

Usain Bolt about to go up against Asafa Powell in 100M at Oslo on BBC3 for anyone interested.