Athletics Thread

No, he cried off with the virus. It was turning into a disaster until I found “The Bull” on Facebook. A young lad from out Hospital way. Done now anyway, thanks.

Good to hear. Fair play to The Bull.

Tough ol read. Frank was and is a great guy. A tough cookie. Lovely article from Sonia

5 Likes

Thats terrible, poor Frank.

Ah no :pensive:

Alright sort Ciara Mageean has become the first Irish woman to go under 2 minutes for 800 metres,

That’s 2:30 kilometre pace to any of the TFK athletes who’ve tried to maintain 4 minute pace for a short stretch

9 Likes

Bekele’s 5K world record under threat here

12’35 for new World Record. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

That record has stood for a long time. Great run from Cheptegei.

Ciara Mageean just ran 2:31:06 to smash Sonia’s 27 year old Irish 1000m record. About 3 seconds faster. Not a distance run too often but bloody brilliant :clap::clap::clap:

14 Likes

My pal tells me Sonia only ran 1km once tbf. Said new spikes are a gamechanger

1 Like

Fair play in either case, she’s a great bit of stuff, seems to be an absolute lady as well, I’d love to see her go from strength to strength and complete in Olympic finals

3 Likes

We have a wonderful crop of young female athletes. Some real talent.

What’s fastest Km on here. Men’s Irish record is 2:17. Different level is top level athletics.

I’d say @Wexford1996 has done close to 3’20 or so if not faster

Have never ran 1k flat out but I’d say I might be under 3’10. Most of his laps were about 60 seconds. Top Irish guys would be lapped by him.

2 Likes

Three 4.01 miles. Insane.

1 Like

The training is daft. It’s as much mental as physical. They destroy themselves.

12 x 400m under 56 seconds in winter with a minute recovery

Then summer is 6s @ 50 seconds👀

1 Like

One of the loneliest sports that exists. All training nearly in isolation. You become the best the country but get judged as being shite on the world stage.

5 Likes

Under what conditions would you expect to run 3.10?