Athletics Thread

No Bergkamp, no party.

One of the lads said he saw Thomas Barr in a builders merchants in Limerick today buying stuff. Said by his talk he’s working full time now? I doubted it but my mate was adamant and he over heard a bit of conversation where he was discussing training and working.

Just flat out 1K having warmed up. Would help if I had someone to pace me but it’d be running hard and trying to hang on.

On a track with spikes?

I don’t have spikes and rarely run on a track although going training on track tomorrow morning for first time in years. Few flat 1K loops around that I could give it a go on. I was doing 1k intervals in just under 3’30 about a month ago so I think I’d be 20ish seconds quicker running one flat out.

3 Likes

3.10 would be a serious run on concrete/tarmac with some undulations or on a rough track.

Best of luck

1 Like

It’s all relative, was texting a guy earlier and he was doing 5 x 1K in 2’46/47 during the week. Hoping to break 14’30 next week for 5K.

4 Likes

He was down in Cooraclare the other day opening an indoor sprinting facility they’re after doing up, so it’s probably not a regular 9-5 whatever he’s at

1 Like

He’s had to overcome a lot of obstacles in his career

11 Likes

Carbon fibre foot plates in spikes and no drug testing

Japan will be fastest Olympics ever

Let them at it. See how has the best drugs. Let the athletes be sponsored by big pharma companies

It’s a vocation. Comes a time where it’s daft to
keep at it. Barr ran an Olympic final to 4th which is phenomenal

3,10 is great. Irish record is 50 seconds faster. It’s just amazing.

1 Like

I’d say you’d do a 1k in 3:10 or lower no bother

2 Likes

The higher echelons of Irish athletes are amazing specimens. Remarkable.

Kimmage interview with Sonia in today’s Indo. Some interesting bits but he seems to back off at times on questions

1 Like

The spikes will be a gamechanger

I see Somalia’s finest broke the 1 hour world record last night. 21 and a half km’s in an hour. Fairly ridiculous stuff

I see Sean Ingle cheerleading for him on Twitter once again.

I’ve never heard of this 1 hour event before.