Athletics Thread

English could win it. But he didn’t sound positive in post race interview.

Maybe a bronze women’s 800m.

Reinstated him now.

1 Like

Did anyone see the rant from the Welch judo coach?

Sean Tobin going now, looks like a 1980s WBA player

A PB. He can do no more.

Surely RTE could show this throughout the day on TV rather than putting the early sessions on the player. Can’t imagine My Kitchen Rules Australia would get higher viewing figures

3 Likes

The DQ in sprinting for a false start is like the start of a WW2 movie set in a train station.

The guilty look, the delay before the inevitability, the tannoy announcement, the approach by two burly men who want you to
come this way with the minimum of fuss.

2 Likes

Lavin big PB in 60m hurdles. Chance to qualify as fastest loser.

Can you provide a few pen pics or a bit of colour for today’s action The?

I’ll try and throw up some stuff this afternoon before the evening.

Irish in action rest of the day

18.16 - Nadia Power (800m women semi-final)

18.33 - Cian McPhilips (800m men semi-final)

18.42 - Mark English (800m men semi-final)

19.25 - Phil Healy (400m women final)

5 Likes

Piece here on Nadia Power. She set a new Irish indoor 800m record a couple of weeks ago. That was then broken a few days later by Irish athlete in US Cléirigh Buttner who was eliminated in heats.

Nadia is fifth fastest this season in Europe. Buttner would have been third.

Championship running is about recovery too. It’s three hard races in 3 days in the indoors so it’s a challenge.

1 Like

I was out for a while,Sarah has gone through, good stuff, seems a lovely girl, I’ve seen her train on the track at UL, she’s a remarkable athlete but they all are at this level, when is Ciara Neville going?

Tobin through as well as a fastest loser

1 Like

Tomorrow morning. 60m. 11.15

Mark English.

National indoor 800m record holder. 27 years old. Second fastest Irishman outdoors 800m. Has won medals in these championships before. A class act. He’s fast and in a slower paced final he could do anything and even win it. Works as a doctor. Great pedigree in championship running. he can win a medal but I thought he sounded downbeat after heat last night and tonight will be interesting to see how he runs - I’d be nervous he won’t perform

*Jerry Kiernan described English as historically the country’s “greatest talent” in middle-distance running. Several years earlier, Kiernan had claimed that English was better than Michael Murphy long held to be his county’s greatest ever athlete. Kiernan justified this remark with the comment: “Murphy is playing against lads from Monaghan Mark English is running against Kenyans”.

5 Likes

Cian McPhilips. 18 year old Leaving Cert student. Ran English very close two weeks ago in Abbotstown and English ran new 800m indoor record to beat him. McPhilips broke the old record too. A phenomenal run.

Running an experienced quality athlete like English that close at that age suggests McPhilips is going to be even better. Lot of lads would have been intimidated by English on home soil. He has the fearlessness of youth. It’s hard to recover in 24 hours but he’s a contender to qualify. He seemed happier than English post heat.

*n setting a National Junior and Under-23 record, the 18-year-old Moyne Community School student in Longford also became the second fastest Under-20 performer in the Indoor 800 metres in European Athletics history and the quickest on the continent’s record books in over 20 years.

*His time also represented the fastest junior indoor 800 metres in the world in five years and the sixth quickest by an Under-20 athlete in the world in the history of the sport. *

Quite simply, he announced his talent in an astonishing manner, comparable to that with which Sonia O’Sullivan leapt to prominence at the Cork City Sports almost 34 years earlier as she vaulted to the top of the world 3000 metre junior rankings as a callow 17-year-old in the space of just over nine minutes.

1 Like

Phil Healy. 26. Cork. 4th in 100m European juniors. Has moved up to 200m and 400m over years. Natural speed and seems to have added strength and stamina now as she’s got older. She ran an Irish 200m indoor record last year. She also holds 100m and 200m outdoor records.

I think she has a real medal chance as that speed coming up from sprints is a huge plus. She looked great in semi final

This video sums her up. She Reins in a 80m lead on last 400m leg. Watch from 3 minutes on.

6 Likes

What an unbelievable run and race.
The commentators were greatly enjoying themselves with the old engineering line, and “UCC from the depths of hell”
I’d advise watching the entirety.

1 Like

It went viral worldwide a few years ago. The commentary makes it

It certainly does.

Gutsy run from Nadia power. Went out to try and command it on lap 3, took the initiative but ran out of gas. 4th.