Audiobooks

Any of you creeps listen to Audiobooks? I’m not sure what I think of them. Am downloading my first one - The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Quite looking forward to it. May blog a review or something. May not cos I’m very lazy.

Great thread Clarkey…

Thanks Mac. Seems to be taking off now.

Threads on audiobooks tend to be good reads.

Not bad to listen to if you are out jogging etc as it can take your attention away from the distance left or traveling long distance but overall I find them tough going and much prefer the written word.

How did you get on with the audiobooks Clarkey? Am considering dipping my toe in this medium. Have downloaded Girl With Dragon Tattoo, have a bit of driving to do over the next while or so and am thinking this might be a nice alternative to Podcasts (which I am struggliing to find quality in of late).

Tried a few on ipod. Cant listen to them in bed anyways coz if you nod off you havent a clue where you actually stopped listening! Not for me anyways

Audiobooks are a fucking ridiculous notion.

+1

Gonna give them a try anyway, nothing to be lost. Have also found some very good comedy downloads such as Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Denis Leary and even an edition of The Bro Code narrated by Barney Stinson himself, will report back later.

I joined Audible a few months ago and have been giving audiobooks a go. Still haven’t perfected how to listen to an audiobook as I find I’m easily distracted but they’re useful enough if you’re doing a mundane task like ironing or any number of tasks that might be allocated to a low level financial services excel jockey. As already highlighted they’re not very good for listening to in bed as you’ll fall asleep quite quickly.

I might find them useful when I go on my annual sun holiday in June but I don’t see them ever usurping my Kindle books.

I found that as well, just couldnt hold my concentration. I have up early doors and went with podcasts.

Any recommendations?

Joined Audible last week, currently listening to the West Cork podcast which is fascinating but haven’t looked into much else.

1 Like

Nearly finished the Exorcist narrated by blatty himself,very good.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten enough use out of it. I have about 15 audiobooks but havent listened to a full one yet. I’m listening to 12 Rules for Life at the moment (cc @TheUlteriorMotive) and it’s decent.

West Cork was far and away the best thing I’ve listened to yet but that was more of a podcast.

1 Like

Any of the Irvine Welch stuff.
Listened to ‘white teeth’ by Zadie Smith recently too, excellent.
All the Tolkien stuff is decent too

About 20% of the way into Stephen Kings ‘The Outsider’. Gripping so far.

1 Like

Great courses on Audible are 2 for 1

1 Like

Any recommendations

CBT one is good. I downloaded the fiction writing one but not started it yet.

The history ones are excellent. Just pick an era that interests you.

Daily life in the ancient world is recommended.

2 Likes