Australia - Sycophantic Colonial Outpost

Hi @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy, sorry I was watching some Selling Sunset during breakfast. Christine is such a bitch!

I think home quarantine is your most probable outcome. Which is just a term. You can still do as you please, in reality - beachside coffees, shoot some roos etc

If you had the appetite, research a week in Perth on arrival, then get a domestic flight to QLD. Then you might be right.

2 Likes

informative

Just got your PM @padjo . I had already replied to him when you told me to ignore him. Sorry.

9 Likes

Talking to a colleague in Perth this morning he said it is 42 degrees there today :hot_face:

I lived in Fremantle, just south of Perth, as a kid. I remember it hitting 43 and the suffering of it. All thrun down under a fan as no air con, taking turns for a cold shower. Couldn’t use beach as sand too hot to stand on and dead jellyfish everywhere. Body expecting temp to drop at night but still staying hot

Absolutely rotten.

1 Like

I’ve only experienced those type temperatures twice before. Once in Saudi Arabia and this August past in France. Not weather for Paddy.

1 Like

@Mac said recently that 35 was great weather to laze by the pool

I’ve actually lazed by the pool in 47 degrees in Dubai (cc @Fagan_ODowd). Not all of us are pasty skinned & afraid of the heat like you mate

1 Like

Might have misspelled blazed

1 Like

It varies though as you travel down the coast though doesn’t it? Denmark, Augusta a lot cooler?
I was in Perth for a month and managed to escape the 40+ heat but remember it getting cooler down the coast. Inland was horrible I remember.
Does it get cold in the winters at all? I am in Granada in Spain, and it gets to 40+ in summer, but when you go less than an hour to the coast, it’s bearable. Same in winter. Bitter cold in Granada, and less than an hour away it could be 18 degrees at the coast.

40 degrees in Perth is perversely almost more bearable to 36 degrees in Qld I found. WA has dry desert heat whereas qld has that thick tropical humidity.

Southern WA gets the breeze coming off the Bite up from the south which sees the cooling. Also gets the Freemantle Doctor. Some weird phenomena where around 3pm daily every afternoon a cool breeze comes through

Fremantle Doctor - Wikipedia.

Both get cold but qld is built with typically builly with timber homes so feels colder. WA lot more.brick so easier to keep home warmer.

1 Like

the cold coming from underneath the house is freezing

@LionelRitchie oh yeah, I remember the heavy heat in QLD and Sydney too. I nearly keeled over after a night on the porter in Sydney with the heat. I thought I was going to break up into pieces.
I am surprised they never copied the Mediterranean type houses in WA, what with a lot of eyetalans etc there. (White houses as you’d see in the old towns in the med). Maybe the anglo saxon way was the way and that was that over there.

They did have a lot of Greek-style style homes originally but once it expanded and needed to be built fast, went the more standard brick type homes.

Sydney voted the 2nd worst city in the world for nightlife, the good news is they are up one place from the worst last year

2 Likes

Are they letting people leave the country there yet?

Yeah, nightlife in Sydney died 7 or 8 years ago when they introduced the lockout laws. Thankfully, I was hanging up my party boots around that time.

But yeah, if cafĂŠs and beaches are your thing, no better place on the planet.

Five children die as wind lifts bouncy castle into air at Australia school - Independent.ie

fuckin hell, horrible

God that’s awful, RIP

1 Like

Awful stuff.