Australian Rules Football 2018

What happened here mate? He was only after going out I thought?

Not sure really. Carlton are fucking shit, so that doesnt help. He would have played with their reserve side but from what I know of it, he was injured quite a bit so not sure how many games he actually played. Probably wont make much news there as they never got going at all really.

This is really begining to affect the quality ofthe gga

Tomas O’Sé thinks it’s an absolute disgrace that these young fellas are given an opportunity to play professional sport.

1 Like

Did he not say it’s hard on the clubs not getting any form of compensation?

Yes, you appear to have misread that. this is his tweet

He even says its a great opportunity and that he doesn’t blame them. You were way off.

His second tweet mentions disgraceful, but again, its more in relation to the clubs.

He is right though, a bit of a sweetener for a players club once the players reaches the AFL would be a nice touch, something for the GAA to discuss with the AFL perhaps.

Incidentally, Red is a ridiculous name for a fella.

2 ways of looking at it really. Yeah, the clubs and counties train these lads up and then they go off and play. But what if they just quit the game anyway? Or got injured and couldnt play? And the majority of these lads go over and are back within 2 or 3 years having had professional training and plying themselves against top quality athletes. Huge development for them that the club or county then reaps on their return.

Not sure how paying a club or county would work though. And why pay them when there are no real financial implications of them leaving one way or another? And if they were to start paying GAA, would that not lead to a worse situation where you could say the GAA are being paid to sell off its players?

Its an odd situation either way, not sure there is any quick or easy solution to it.

To be fair to Tomás I don’t think he put any thought whatsoever into it.

Thats why I suggest the GAA speak to the AFL and agree some small compensation package if thats what people what. Wouldn’t be a big stretch.

I’d be very wary of fomalising the agreement mind you

Thats the problem though. You agree cash payments on selling players, leads to either more counties happy to sell off players or AFL clubs thinking the have carte blanche to pillage.

Should be no compensation unless player plays x amount of senior appearance with clubs … that could be 2-3 years for some of these lads depending on agreed number of games … or it may never happen at all.

Compensation for what?

If a lad plays tennis and joins a rugby league team should his tennis club get compensation

3 Likes

I believe some of the AFL scouts touch up the young GGA players. An awful business.

Why would a gga club get compensation?

Because fellas on an Irish internet forum said so. Keep up, Dummy.

1 Like

Fairly serious news coming out of Melbourne yesterday, Majak Daw, a Sudanese born player with North Melbourne jumped off the Bolte Bridge in Melbourne. Those who would have visited there would know the bridge well

He survived the fall. Has a broken hip but is relatively physically ok.

There have been some high profile cases of depression within the AFL, but this is probably the most high profile incident involving a current player. other players have had time off and leave etc, and former players have attempted and committed suicide. AFL getting a grilling over its priorities with mental health issues.

Daw had struggled to make much of an impact in the game, but had a breakout season last year when moved to the backline and was a regular for nearly all of the season.

Presumed it was hijinks initially. But yeah, attempted suicide. Shocking story.