Aviation Disasters

228 people on board* the missing Malysian Airlines flight. No oirish but a handful of westerners. Two Ukrainians and one Russian were passengers so I think it’s safe to assume they had an argument and that ultimately escalated into a riot that brought the plane down.

• there must be a fair chance that not all these passengers are still on board.

One would have to suspect terrorism given it disappeared with no communication while cruising at altitude in good weather.

I wouldnt rule out another Oceanic 815 here.

Id say more likely KAL 007

@Rocko , what’s your favorite aviation disaster?
The Pan Am flight over Lockerbie will always warm your heart no doubt, obviously you were a huge fan of 9/11.
The 'AerFrance-No Chance" flight from Sao Paolo to Paris that went down there a few years ago in the Atlantic was an interesting one as well

Has there been no sign of a any wreckage etc yet? Also pilot made no mayday call? All seems very bizarre. Big plane just disappears without trace. It’s like the opening episode of Lost…

A lot of Muhammadans aboard - Some sort of an own goal perhaps.

I just hope this thread doesn’t take up 5 years of my life like that Cunt of a program did.

A smiley seems misplaced in the circumstance, but I appreciate the sentiment.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 913473, member: 367”]@Rocko , what’s your favorite aviation disaster?
The Pan Am flight over Lockerbie will always warm your heart no doubt, obviously you were a huge fan of 9/11.
The 'AerFrance-No Chance" flight from Sao Paolo to Paris that went down there a few years ago in the Atlantic was an interesting one as well[/quote]

Mull of Kintyre for me. Scale wasn’t awesome but there was a poetic beauty about the UK landscape attacking its own.

I’d also have a soft spot for that Colombian flight that went down near NYC in 1990. As an industry we learned an awful lot from the communication errors that day but we’ve also diluted the absolute and supreme authority of the captain since and I think that’s too high a price to pay for one crash.

:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQRGlLOmkIg

im flying these in a few weeks

my optimistic side says now is the time says now is the time to fly them as maintenance will be top notch from here on in and statistically they got their blip out of the way

my pessimistic side is saying there is something inherently wrong with that airline and all of their planes are going to start falling from the sky

[quote=“mickee321, post: 913473, member: 367”]@Rocko , what’s your favorite aviation disaster?
The 'AerFrance-No Chance" flight from Sao Paolo to Paris that went down there a few years ago in the Atlantic was an interesting one as well[/quote]
Some great ones to choose from. I was a particular fan of the Air France Airbus A320 crash into a forest in 1988, where the pilots thought the plane would fly itself. They were wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzD4tIvPHwE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

This was pretty messy in 1977

Controlled flight into terrain

Most management and risk books mention it.

Long oil slicks a few miles long reported in the sea consistent with engine fuel leaking from crashed airplanes. Doesn’t look good.

[quote=“Tess Tickle, post: 913575, member: 2269”] Doesn’t look good.[/quote] :smiley:

Understatement of the fucking year.

Always interesting the way RTE and the Irish media report on any of these disasters, whether plane crashes or natural disasters like tsunami’s or earthquakes.

“No Irish citizens are reported to be among the dead.”

Thank God for that then. Fuck all those dead Malaysians in the plane crash or those lads in Haiti or the Phillipines, as long as there’s no Irish killed we’re ok.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 913605, member: 1552”]Always interesting the way RTE and the Irish media report on any of these disasters, whether plane crashes or natural disasters like tsunami’s or earthquakes.

“No Irish citizens are reported to be among the dead.”

Thank God for that then. Fuck all those dead Malaysians in the plane crash or those lads in Haiti or the Phillipines, as long as there’s no Irish killed we’re ok.[/quote]

Or rugby players