Aviation Disasters

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 913605, member: 1552”]Always interesting the way RTE and the Irish media report on any of these disasters, whether plane crashes or natural disasters like tsunami’s or earthquakes.

“No Irish citizens are reported to be among the dead.”

Thank God for that then. Fuck all those dead Malaysians in the plane crash or those lads in Haiti or the Phillipines, as long as there’s no Irish killed we’re ok.[/quote]
Well considering RTE doesn’t broadcast their news reports on Malaysian, Haitian or Philippine TV stations, they have a point. o_O

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 913605, member: 1552”]Always interesting the way RTE and the Irish media report on any of these disasters, whether plane crashes or natural disasters like tsunami’s or earthquakes.

“No Irish citizens are reported to be among the dead.”

Thank God for that then. Fuck all those dead Malaysians in the plane crash or those lads in Haiti or the Phillipines, as long as there’s no Irish killed we’re ok.[/quote]
This is common media practice, you’re talking shite

Let’s not jump to conclusions here.

Two people listed as being onboard had their passports stolen in Thailand in the last year or two. Pretty low odds on that you would think.

While I appreciate non-fingalians speculating, please do defer to the educated assessments of native fingalians when it comes to aeronautical issues. My assessment from 5 years in the industry is that something untoward occurred, this could involve a sinister act or could be limited to a malfunction. But definitely something untoward. The hopes and prayers of this remote Fingal peninsula are with the families at this point.

The Concorde crash at paris has to be top of the list. Honourable mention to @Rocko for mull of Kintyre

:rolleyes:

The Shannon Estuary is the spiritual home of Irish aviation

untoward what mate?

The Shannon Estuary is the spiritual home of Irish aviation[/quote]

the velvet strand is a european aviation hotspot, shannon is just a place planes were forced to stop in

For me my favorite aviation disaster has to be the TWA flight 800 which took off from New York on the 17th July 1996. Shortly into the flight an electrical fault caused an explosion in the front en of the plane blowing the cockpit and a portion of the front of the plane off. However as the rest of the airframe was intact and the engines continued to run at speed, the remaining part of the aircraft along with the majority of the 212 passengers on board continued to climb and endured quite a bumpy ride I would imagine. Gruesome stuff really.

Wow, never heard that. I did a French exchange at the time. The French chap was fairly surly for the first week in Ireland - turned out one of his friends was on TWA800 the week before.

The Shannon Estuary is the spiritual home of Irish aviation[/quote]

Flyingboats are where its at

At this point KP I can only say ‘untoward’. If you want idle speculation go else where, my expert analysis can confirm that something untoward occurred. Fingalians will appreciate the subtleties.

Reuters quoting sources saying current theory is it “disintegrated” at high altitude as if it had hit the sea in one piece there would be debris visible

With respect to all posters I would request that admins make this thread Fingal only. Those of us who spent our youth on the velvet strand, scene of aviation history, and who earned our spurs working in the industry out in collinstown airfield, have the required aviation gravitas to speculate about what may have occurred here. People like KP can be called upon if we have a foot and mouth outbreak and we need an expert opinion but should refrain from ill informed speculation on this thread.

It’s looking ever more likely that @croppy’s doomsday prediction of something “untoward” may be about to come true. 48 hours is a long time for any aircraft without fuel to be still airborne without featuring on any radar screens.

Don’t forget Tess Tickle’s statement which now seems eerily accurate:
“It doesn’t look good”

Don’t forget Tess Tickle’s statement which now seems eerily accurate:
“It doesn’t look good”

The conspiracy theorists will have a field day with that one. How could he have known then what we still don’t know 2 days later?

Over on AFR they reckon terrorism was at play.

http://www.afr.com/p/national/sighting_play_slick_feared_flight_hoL8gxh2OwslzftrFNQzjJ

It’s been confirmed that the two chaps on board with fake passports bought their tickets together. I think we can definitely presume foul play was at hand. There were two Ukranian’s and a Russian national on board also. I’m going to hereby speculate that the two chaps with the fake passports were special agent type characters hired by a certain country and tasked with taking out the three Eastern European’s, who obviously have some clout or know something sinister about what’s going on in Ukraine right now. It will remain to see what happens with this fascinating story but it doesn’t look good.

I flew this morning without incident.

Speculation about explosive decompression being cause. Can somebody dig out recent FAA directives about this aircraft type.