Ballina, Co. Tipp

Anyone hear the pricks from this place on the radio this morning?

They’re protesting about a traveller family moving into their town. Said traveller family already live beside the town in a caravan but now they’re getting a gaff and the local arseholes are out picketing.

The good residents didn’t want to appear too racist so they made it clear they had no problem with the travellers themselves. Rather they felt they should have been consulted on anyone moving into the house - it’s just a normal gaff in a row of houses, no need for consoltation obviously. Then some stuck up bitch said that it was a “health and safety issue” because it’s a narrow road and the travellers have children. The reporter told your wan that she lives beside the house and she has children so what’s the problem? Again, “it’s a health and safety issue.”

Shameful that shite like this is going on in Ireland today.

Other than that RT gave them a fierce easy time of it on Morning Ireland. It was a disgrace actually. Reporter said that the travellers didn’t answer his questions so he’s not sure what intentions they have on the house. They want to live there ya prick, why would they want to speak to RT about a protest about their right to housing?

one second rock…you know little or none of the facts of this matter so how dare you come on here and pass judgement on these people…don’t think anyone in ballina/killaloe has a problem with charlie and his family getting a house in the area as he has been living in ballina for the last 6/7 years but its the manner in which the house was acquired is what angers the residents…

Ha ha - that is gas. I heard that this mrning and was just about to post it up here as well.

The funniest alright was the Health and Safety issue. Yer wan, probably on her way to work as ‘an office girl’ in the local solicitors or something, decided to attempt to come across all concerned and take the slant of ‘oh I have no problem with the travellers. I am actually concerned about their safety and I am angry with the Council for not considering this when buying the house’.

In other words:

‘How dare they put a pile of tinkers living beside me. I can’t say that obviously but I’ll try and get around it another way.’

I’m as entitled to pass judgement on those people as anyone else is.

I know they’re dressing it up as “the way the house was acquired” but they’re also dressing it up as a “health and safety issue.” The actual fact is that while they don’t mind a traveller living nearby in his caravan, they’re not going to tolerate him getting social housing that’s on a par with what the “settled people” have to live in.

Social housing only works when it’s properly integrated. Everyone supports that of course, except when it’s happening next door.

Ah here Puke - don’t be so bloody naive.

They don’t want the travellers living in the house. That is the issue no matter how they try and dress it up.

fair enough rock but did the council have to pay 450,000 euro for the house(30,000 over the asking price) for it…did they have toi do it so secretly not telling the seller who was buying it…she says if she knew the council was buying it she would possibly not have sold it…

The councils don’t usually tell people when they’re buying a house for precisely these reasons. It’s not the vendor’s business to be honest.

Whether it was a fair price or not, I haven’t a clue obviously but if it was sold without knowledge of who the buyer is then it sounds like that was the market value.

Why? Because travellers might be moved in?

I have no problem saying it, Id be digusted if the council moved a family of travellers in next door to me, me with a half mill pund house and a massive mortgage and a huge lump knocked off the value overnight.

Where do you think travellers should live so Dan? Anywhere except next door to you?

In future years we’ll look back on the way we treat travellers today with similar shame to the way some people in America hopefully feel about how they treated black people. Deny them every chance and there’s only one outcome I’m afraid.

no but out of respect to her neighbours…and for the point dancarter has just made also…

[quote=“therock67”]Where do you think travellers should live so Dan? Anywhere except next door to you?

In future years we’ll look back on the way we treat travellers today with similar shame to the way some people in America hopefully feel about how they treated black people. Deny them every chance and there’s only one outcome I’m afraid.[/quote]

Ah here. Your not serious are you? The vast majority of these travellers are on the road because thats where they want to be. They are not forced to live by the roadsides. There are plenty of them driving about in 08 Jeeps and vans, and never having done an honest days work in their lives.

[quote=“therock67”]Where do you think travellers should live so Dan? Anywhere except next door to you?

In future years we’ll look back on the way we treat travellers today with similar shame to the way some people in America hopefully feel about how they treated black people. Deny them every chance and there’s only one outcome I’m afraid.[/quote]

Sorry Rocko, I have no tolerance for Travellers, call me what you want.

I have extensive experience of them having worked in bars and hotels when I was younger. I am quite sure the majority are decent people but I havent met any of them. I would have dealt with several in a Banking capacity and to see the cash these guys deal in would shock you, how they can justify living in a hovel on the side of a road putting there kids health at risk I dont know.

To say its there culture isnt good enough, if my culture is deemed anti social to the rest of the community then I would need to adapt it.

while this may also be a generalisation I think there will be a marked differeence in opinion on this between the country lads and the city lads. No offence to anyone

In other words yes…

[quote=“dancarter”]Sorry Rocko, I have no tolerance for Travellers, call me what you want.

I have extensive experience of them having worked in bars and hotels when I was younger. I am quite sure the majority are decent people but I havent met any of them. I would have dealt with several in a Banking capacity and to see the cash these guys deal in would shock you, how they can justify living in a hovel on the side of a road putting there kids health at risk I dont know.

To say its there culture isnt good enough, if my culture is deemed anti social to the rest of the community then I would need to adapt it.[/quote]

Dead right Dan. I would have plenty of 1st hand experience of dealing with travellers and it’s more like the minority that are decent enough. I would know a lot of travellers and I would say there are only about 1/10th of them I would talk to on a day to day basis, the others I avoid, because they are seriously bad news.

no farmer…if she knew she was dealing with the council she would have presumed that it was going to social housing…like dan said if you paid the bones of half a million for a house how would you like it for some cunts(could be travellors, single mother family, dole scrounge) move in beside you…while you go off and work 60 hour weeks to pay for your house while your new neighbour sits at home scratching his hole getting his/her new house and claiming benefit…

in fairness to charlie(the travellor in qusetion) he is a decent enough skin and apart from one of the childers they are quiet enough and keep to themselves…also its worth noting this is the third if not fourth house they have tried to buy charlie but he has rejected the previous ones as he didn’t like them…

So you don’t agree with any forms of social housing Puke?

Lads you can say anything you want about the bad eggs ye have met down through the years and you can talk about majorities or minorities or whatever you want to do but all ye’re really doing is justifying racism. I’m sure there are plenty of bad egg Nigerians and bad egg single mothers and plenty of other sectors of society. But the more progressive among us judge people for who they are, not for the sector of society they’re labelled as representing. And while we continue to persecute all for the crimes of the few, or even the many, then we’re denying equal opportunities to all and can have no claims to calling ourselves a civil society.

The guys on the radio this morning even said that they’ve no problem with “this particular” traveller family. So what is the problem then? It’s the notion of the sector they belong to. In other words it’s judging these people by their perceptions of other people from a similar ethnic background. In even other words, it’s racism.

[quote=“therock67”]So you don’t agree with any forms of social housing Puke?

Lads you can say anything you want about the bad eggs ye have met down through the years and you can talk about majorities or minorities or whatever you want to do but all ye’re really doing is justifying racism. I’m sure there are plenty of bad egg Nigerians and bad egg single mothers and plenty of other sectors of society. But the more progressive among us judge people for who they are, not for the sector of society they’re labelled as representing. And while we continue to persecute all for the crimes of the few, or even the many, then we’re denying equal opportunities to all and can have no claims to calling ourselves a civil society.

The guys on the radio this morning even said that they’ve no problem with “this particular” traveller family. So what is the problem then? It’s the notion of the sector they belong to. In other words it’s judging these people by their perceptions of other people from a similar ethnic background. In even other words, it’s racism.[/quote]

So be it Rocko.