Banks

Not sure if theres a topic on this already but I see AIB are proposing to charge 20 to 30 cent per transaction lodgement/Withdrawal and charge fees if a bank balance isn’t over €2,500.Total fees could be €90 a year not including stamp duty/Govt duty etc.In same article I read that senior banking officials are getting their golf memberships paid by the bank.The same bank that got bailed out by the Irish taxpayers.

Is there any viable options to move to or banks that might not be as punitive with fees?

BOI give free banking if you do 9 transactions per quarter via their 365online service. So if you pay money off credit cards or rent or bills etc and do it online then it should be free.

NIB no longer want cash or cheques in their branches and ask you to go the post office.

Opened a joint account with Ulster Bank recently and they mistakenly gave us an account that’s supposed to cost €10 per month for free.

Any chance the likes of BOI might emerge from the Stone Age and offer a VISA debit card instead of the backward laser card which is pretty much unusable outside this country or online if buying overseas? :rolleyes:

I’m with Ptsb and have never had any issues. I suppose they’ll all start charging soon

I’ve used a laser card in many European countries to pay for stuff in shops. Have you ever tried it? They plan to roll it out by end of this year anyway I think.

It worked in the States for me the one time I tried to use it over there

Let’s not let hard evidence stand in the way of Shannonsiders crusade against the banks :rolleyes:

I’m with Ulster bank and they replaced laser cards with visa debit cards about a year ago. Have used it online a few times and been hammered with charges, was charged a transaction fee and commission on foreign exchange. Cunts.

SS** has been badly exposed on this thread

You sound surprised?

Ever try to book a flight from Sarajevo to Belgrade with a Laser card? :rolleyes:

I’ve an account with Ulster Bank for the same reason as I dumped my credit card a few years ago. Unlike Mac (who only purchases flecky tracksuits in retail outlets of the midwest ) I occasionally like to purchase items from overseas.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER, post: 668139”]

I’ve an account with Ulster Bank for the same reason as I dumped my credit card a few years ago. Unlike Mac (who only purchases flecky tracksuits in retail outlets of the midwest ) I occasionally like to purchase items from overseas.[/quote]
Are you not paying exorbitant charges to use it for online purchases? Bought stuff from Amazon last year and was charged commission and transaction fees on each item individually despite it being one order and was all delivered together.

Yes, here - http://www.ebookers…=Search+Flights

No problems with booking the flight with a Laser card :rolleyes:

I don’t like involving intermediaries, Mac.

I used a prepaid Mastercard once and it was a joke, thing there were about three seperate charges for any purchase. Binned it shortly after. I’ve only used the Ulster Bank Visa Debit for flights and hadn’t noticed anything out of the ordinary, must have another look at the statement.

I bought one of them as a Christmas present for a younger sibling instead of just giving em cash, bit of novelty for them, having a bank card etc.
€6 to buy the fucking thing then a charge every time u top it up. A farce of a thing.

Tsb sent me a visa debit instead of a laser there a year or two ago, and it’s much better for online etc

Seems to be a major systems fuck up at Ulster bank. Going beyond 48 hours down time now, Disaster for people not getting their wages

Wouldn’t like to be their IT guy tonight.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 668145”]Seems to be a major systems fuck up at Ulster bank. Going beyond 48 hours down time now, Disaster for people not getting their wages

Wouldn’t like to be their IT guy tonight.[/quote]

I have a client who rang the bank in frustration as he needed to know how much of his overdraft remained so he could write cheques. Ulster Bank couldn’t tell him as they cant see the accounts themselves. This sounds extremely serious.

As a footnote my client added that he hopes they’ve been hacked and all the loans are wiped too!

[quote=“The Runt, post: 668145”]Seems to be a major systems fuck up at Ulster bank. Going beyond 48 hours down time now, Disaster for people not getting their wages

Wouldn’t like to be their IT guy tonight.[/quote]

I transferred the company salaries to an Ulster Bank account today. They better fucking sort this out quick sharp.