Banks

Banks worldwide are bound to invest significantly in upgrading their IT systems after this colossal fuck up.

The Irish Govt is bound to be shitting itself over the state banks as I doubt their IT systems have been well funded over the last few years

Admins- I object to this post

The poster is speculating rather than dealing in facts

please delete it

UB systems are notably poor. AIB has a better Internet banking platform than anyone and invested heavily in their systems some time back on foot of some similar issues a good few years back. Hard to see why UB and the others can’t cope now, they must be operating well below the capacity of previous years?

Will be interesting to see how many customers they actually lose here. Won’t be crying too much about individuals but hard to see em retaining the payment contracts for DSW and HSE etc after this. It’s a case study on how not to manage a crisis. Something like this will actually dent public confidence more than the shoddy lending practises as it s affecting people directly in their pocket

Was paid on the 22 of june and my wages still haven’t gone in to the my UB account. It wasn’t to bad last week as I could still get what little money I had in my account out using the ATM but yesterday my account was over drawn because of a standing order I have to send cash from one ub account to the other. There is no point ringing the helpline because those folks cant really do anything. have to go down to the bank today with my payslip and some id and see if I can get a bit of cash out to keep going till this colossal fuck up is over.

The thing is, is there any point to moving to another bank. I don’t have much faith in either BOI or AIB and I find AIB a complete shower of cunts to deal with plus both those banks are ripping their customers off with the bank charges.

Dan in saying UB systems are poor, I bet BOI are no better. The thing is that companies dont invest in IT and when there is a recession on IT is always the first to be hit. I bet you AIB and BOI are on their knees offering up prayers of thanks to the banking god in the sky that it wasn’t them that fucked up.

I am pissed at the Financial regulator and central bank, they should be screaming at UB to fix the problem and to compensate the customers affected but they are not. :shakefist:

TASE, Kib man is correct in what he said. A lot of companies when they go to make cuts in spending it is always IT that gets hit first and I know that certain banks in this country have not kept up the maintenance of their systems over the last few years, even when they rolling in profits.

Taz have you resorted to barter and hunter gathering yet?

I believe some payments have been processed this morning and people have received wages that were due a few weeks ago.

My mortgage payment to my UB mortgage has not been taken from my Bank of Ireland account.

On the other hand, my salary from my UB using employer did arrive a couple of days ago on time … :clap: :clap:

Finally I have been sorted. well kinda, don’t know what the story is with my loan and mortgage payments, but they are with ulster bank so they can sort them out.

Fagan I was close to doing a bit of hunting, i don’t have much to barter.

I have written 3 significant cheques on the past 2 weeks and none have been taken from my account yet.

If they don’t soon then there wont be money there to meet them!

[quote=“dancarter, post: 668190”]

UB systems are notably poor. AIB has a better Internet banking platform than anyone and invested heavily in their systems some time back on foot of some similar issues a good few years back. Hard to see why UB and the others can’t cope now, they must be operating well below the capacity of previous years?

Will be interesting to see how many customers they actually lose here. Won’t be crying too much about individuals bhard to see em retaining the payment contracts for DSW and HSE etc after this. It’s a case study on how not to manage a crisis. Something like this will actually dent public confidence more than the shoddy lending practises as it s affecting people directly in their pocket[/quote]

If Aib systems are so good, why did they take legal action against their main IT provider for continous delivery failures?

Gone for weeks and after one post I wish you would fuck off again

+1

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 668199”]

Gone for weeks and after one post I wish you would fuck off again[/quote]

Only seeing this now as I was busy preparing for our state of origin game and victory. Go fuck yourself chewy.

what banks in the country have been rolling in profits?

Kib if you had of read my post properly, I said “even when the banks were rolling in profits”. This would have meant from 2000 - 2007/08 they were raking in profits all over the place and they barely invested in their IT infrastructure. Why do you think they are signing these outsourcing deals? One is to save and money and the other is to get the IT infrastructure up to scratch considering some of the servers and the OS systems in use by some of the banks in this country are at least 10 - 15 years old and are no longer supported by the manufacturers.

AN ULSTER Bank worker has been jailed for two years for stealing almost €330,000 from her employer after she failed to secure a mortgage.
Sorcha Halpin (27) had already signed a contract for a new house for herself and her partner, and four months later was put under pressure by the developer’s solicitors to make full payment.
She debited the bank account of an elderly female customer by €303,500 to purchase a bank draft, which she made payable to the firm of solicitors. She told her partner she had won the lottery.
She then drew a further €2,516 from another account to buy a bank draft to cover her own solicitor’s fees.
Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that three months later she drew €16,445 from another customer account to clear her partner’s car loan.
Halpin, a mother of a six-month-old son, has since handed over the deeds of the house at Beverton Gardens, Donabate, Dublin, to the investigating detective garda. The house is vacant and she is back living in her family home.
‘Suspense’
She pleaded guilty to two charges of stealing a bank draft from Ulster Bank, Blanchardstown, Dublin, between September and December 2009. Det Gda Peter Meenan said Halpin had been working at the branch for seven years as a customer service officer and as such had access to ‘suspense accounts’.
This is an account in the bank which that holds temporary funds which may be in dispute.
Det Gda Meenan said Halpin used this account to then cover her tracks and “effectively fill in the holes”.
The irregularities came to the bank’s attention in January of last year and Halpin was immediately identified as the culprit as she had used her own username and password to complete the transactions.
She made immediate admissions and said none of her colleagues nor any family members or friends knew of her actions.
Halpin told gardai that her partner of nine years had no idea that they had been refused a mortgage.
She was fired from Ulster Bank in March 2011
The court was told the property is now worth about €210,000 and that Halpin hopes that the bank will take that as recompense, in addition to €30,000 she had in court.
Judge Martin Nolan accepted that Halpin was “an exceptionally good person”.
It was unfortunate for her, her family and young child but he said she must go to jail.

It seems odd to call her an “exceptionally good person” when something like an “otherwise good person” might seem closer to the truth. Exceptionally good people don’t tend to steal 300k from pensioners.

outsourcing critical infrastructure is risky. involved in a similar piece of work here. lots of companies pulling back their IT systems from managed services. General Motors telling HP to shove it recently was big.

I am not surprised really. From working both sides, I don’t know how companies think they can outsource their IT, when they do this the loose all their flexibility, where as before they could probably take the life down to the basement or where ever the IT folks were located and say there is an issue here or there, and the IT guy usually go grand I will look at that now, will ya just log a request for it, where with managed services, you have to contact your person, who contacts the managed services contact, who then talks to the IT team, probably in india, who then say they cant do anything without a request and back it goes. So something that could be resolved in 30 minutes could take 2 hours. :frowning: