Barcelona in Trouble

Barcelona fail to pay player wages for June

Barcelona failed to pay their players at the end of June, club president Sandro Rosell has revealed.

Rosell, who succeeded Joan Laporta at the financially troubled Catalan outfit last week, also said a loan of about £125m had been secured to pay wages.

“We found a club in debt, with liquidity problems. At this point we have to take a loan to pay the wages of the players,” he told Sport.

But Rosell said Barca can still afford Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Barca recently sold defender Dmitro Chygrynskiy to Shakhtar Donetsk for about £12.5m to help raise much-needed funds, even though coach Pep Guardiola had been keen to keep him.

They also sold Ivory Coast international Yaya Toure to Manchester City for about £20m.

However, Rosell has moved to reassure worried fans that Barca’s problems are under control and that the process of securing a loan had already started under the previous board.

“The banks know that we have a business plan that will allow them to recover the money. The club is not bankrupt because it generates income,” he added.

"The members shouldn’t be afraid because it is under control. We must resolve this tension.

"It can be done in two ways: to have extra income, like selling Chygrynskiy, and/or taking a loan, which is what we have done.

“The previous board had already begun this process. We followed the same path - the same banks, the same target but with a different business plan. They [Laporta’s board] also knew they needed this credit.”

And Rosell even claimed that over 50m euros (about £41m) would still be available to spend on new players.

Despite their financial issues, Barcelona have been pursuing Arsenal star Fabregas for some time and recently signed Spain striker David Villa from Valencia.

Rosell intends to meet Gunners manager Arsene Wenger in South Africa shortly to discuss a deal for Fabregas, who started his career at the Nou Camp.

“It’s now or never. We’ll do it fast. It won’t be protracted,” said Rosell.

"I’ll try to see Wenger in South Africa, then we’ll tell you what happens.

"We would not pay the 50-60m euros that I have read about. If Arsenal do not go crazy, he might play at Barca.

"There will be 50m euros to sign more players. This is the case every year. This is our plan for the future.

“Technically, as of now we have 50m euros plus 15 for Chygrynskiy and 24 for Toure. In total, 89m euros (about £75m).”

Meh

Pikeman whats this shite I am hearing about Barca selling Botia to Gijon…he was excellent for them last year on loan and looks to be Puyol’s long term replacement, disappointed to say the least, especially now that Chygrinsky gone back to Shaktar

Turning into some joke of a club.

Seems a good deal for them

Is it not a swap deal of Pjanic for Arthur with Juve?

Pjanic is signing alright but it’s not a swap deal a such. I never really liked Pjanic and he’s 30 now.

Would that not be in the Juve getting mugged off category? Where are Juve getting all the dough from anyway

He’s better than Arthur anyway and they have de Jong for a longer term player in that kind of role

Arthur is only 23. He is a good player. Pjanic will not fix Barcelonas problem.

Its Pjanic +10m for Arthur apparently. Barca could end up looking foolish but I wouldn’t bet on Arthur going on to become a top class midfielder

Pjanic hasn’t been brilliant for Juve.

Appears to be a FFP amortisation move by Barca to sell him and declare it as €78 million on the balance sheet in order to show a profit before the books close at the end of this month according to twitter.

2 Likes

He can be very hit and miss, an excellent technical player but I think he is a bit soft.

Correct. It’s not a direct swap deal. I think they buying a right back off city and sending the young lad the other way as well. A huge pity to see the club like this.

What’s happening with Coutinho?

He’s going to Everton mate

Barcelona are going to pay Liverpool to take him back

There’s an agent in the middle of that absolutely creaming it.

2 Likes