Barnsley schoolboy makes history

Barnsley have pledged to nurture Reuben Noble-Lazarus after the striker, aged 15 years and 45 days, became the Football League’s youngest player.

Boss Simon Davey said the youngster, who was due back at school on Wednesday, was too young to be paid.

Noble-Lazarus came off the bench during his side’s 3-0 defeat at Ipswich to beat the record by 113 days.

He passed a mark set by Bradford Park Avenue’s Albert Geldard in 1929 and equalled by Wrexham’s Ken Roberts.

Roberts was aged 15 years and 158 days when he made his debut in 1951.

Davey joked that Noble-Lazarus would receive a ham sandwich and a piece of pizza for his efforts.

“He has only trained a couple of times with the first team but they have taken him under their wing,” the manager continued.

Wearing a number 31 shirt, he came on as a substitute in the 84th minute at Portman Road.

YOUNGEST FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYERS
Reuben Noble-Lazarus 2008 (Barnsley) 15y 45d
Ken Roberts 1951 (Wrexham) 15y 158d
Albert Geldard 1929 (Bristol Rovers) 15y 158d
Ronnie Dix 1928 (Bristol Rovers) 15y 173d

Davey insisted the fast-paced Noble-Lazarus, who goes to school in Huddersfield, would be kept grounded.

“I think if they’re good enough, they’re old enough,” said Davey.

"I have kept an eye on him over the last two years and have tried to integrate him as quickly as I could into the first team.

“He is a confident lad but he is still only 15. He is a talent and we need to nurture him in the right way.”

The youngster is such a newcomer that his player profile on Barnsley FC’s official website contains little detail and no photograph.

“I was academy manager two years ago and I gave him a start in the under-18s,” said Davey.

"He did well when he came on. He didn’t give the ball away.

"He scored a hat-trick for the youth team against Sheffield United on Saturday.

"We need to look after him. He has got to be dipped in and perhaps dipped back out.

“We’ve arranged with his school that we can get him out for two days a week so he can train with us.”

In the last 20 years, Millwall’s Moses Ashikodi was the youngest player to make his Football League debut. He played in 2003, aged 15 years and 240 days.

Matthew Etherington, now with Premier League side West Ham, was 15 years and 262 days when he appeared for Peterborough in 1997.

15 years of age, fucking hell…

I think I was still playing with marbles when I was 15 (lost them all at this stage)

[quote=“myboyblue”]In the last 20 years, Millwall’s Moses Ashikodi was the youngest player to make his Football League debut. He played in 2003, aged 15 years and 240 days.
[/quote]

This Moses lad was subsequently sacked by Millwall chairman Theo Paphitis for threatening another lad with a knife a training. [source wiki]

He’s the twat on the Dragon’s Den isn’t he? Saw him in a “documentry” called back to the floor or something, never liked him after that (fired 2 old dears that made breakfast for the players), all those “Dragon’s” are wannbe celebrities

He joined the huns after that but think he went back to England then - might only have been a loan deal.

had a quick look on wiki there, the lad has played for 8 or so clubs in his short career, but with fuck all first team games. one of these bright young prospects that amounts to nothing.

He’s no Mark Kennedy, thats for sure…

how’s freddy adu going with Lisbon these days? It’ll be interesting to see if he does make it after all the hype.

Wasn’t Padraig Joyce playing senior football in Galway at the age of 14?

Nearly sure he was.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Wasn’t Padraig Joyce playing senior football in Galway at the age of 14?

Nearly sure he was.[/quote]

Beat me by one year.

So Moses and Lazarus play football at the age of 15. If I have kids I’ll call them a name from the bible and they’ll surely make it as footballers.

John.

Judas .

James.

Andrew.

Matthew.

Joseph.

Thomas.

Could have done with more comments like that from you last month Mac.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]James.

Andrew.

Matthew.

Joseph.

Thomas.

Could have done with more comments like that from you last month Mac.[/quote]

there’ll still be a competition for him in october farmer.

Mark
Luke
David
Daniel
Michael
Zacchaeus

all common bible names, but doesnt mean they’ll make it as footballers

Ali is a name mentioned in the bible, yet it didnt help Ali Dia make it as a footballer.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]James.

Andrew.

Matthew.

Joseph.

Thomas.

Could have done with more comments like that from you last month Mac.[/quote]

I prefer Zacchaeus myself

Paul is another one.

Adam of course.

Just seeking clarification, was Matthew a tax collector? Wasn’t there a dinky little story about Zacchaeus climbing a tree or something? Maybe he was the tax collector now that I think about it.

Both of them were tax collectors.

‘Dinky’ little story - what’s that?