Being a sub on a winning team

I was a sub on many a winning team and to be quiet honest it meant very little. Looking at the pictures of the Limerick panel the weekend they look overjoyed. Are they faking the excitement?

Hard for me to say obviously but I’d like to think subs were able to find some satisfaction in my successes

19 Likes

Yea I don’t know anyone who liked been an unplayed sub.

Thered be some satisfaction but they are probably faking it a bit. The alternative is to be considered a sulker.

Its a tricky one.

If you are a young lad you are probably happy to be along for the ride. Gets harder as the years go on and your hopes are fading I’d say

Trevor Brennan was one of the few players ever to publicly say he’d be wishing injury on the lads playing in his position so he could play. Granted he’s a pure lunatic but I’d assume many others would feel the same

Tiernan McCann of Tyrone was very honest about how he felt in 2021 and i think he even got on for a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s grand on the way up. On the way down, it is a pure stones. Time to get out.

The camera cut to Oisin O’ Reilly after the game on Sunday and stayed on him for a solid 10 second. He had the demeanour of a lad who’d been on the losing side but maybe he was just soaking it all in. He seemed to be having the craic on stage the following night.

1 Like

Have an all Ireland club medal as a sub, means absolutely nothing to me. No idea where the medal is. However if you’re part of a Senior Intercounty squad it’s an achievement in itself and the effort is so great it should mean something to them.

5 Likes

Being on a county panel does attract female suitors alright I’d imagine. Even a sub.

2 Likes

David Herity’s interview recently on Eoin Murphy around this general theme was fairly interesting.

If you were passionate about the team (club, county, whatever) doing the winning then you would probably enjoy the occasion. Fuck, I didnt even make the subs bench on Sunday and I still enjoyed the day.

What to do with the medal is a different ballgame.

It’s another few grand of win bonuses

I have an All-Ireland as an extended panel member and it means nothing to me. One of my club mates was starting and he deservedly got 5 times the plaudits.
Id say most lads in my club would hardly remember I even have that medal.

A year later, both of us were starting as our club won a big title and we got equal plaudits. I think in club gaa being part of the parish and that journey is different to county.

20 Likes

And lads. I rode a lad once cos i thought he played for the dubs. Turned out i just didn’t recognise all the dubs players.

It’s never about the physical medal. I’d imagine you knocked serious Craic out of the journey and have a decent aul bond with the lads on the squad.

Eric Lowndes?

1 Like

One of our lads got a lory meagher all star. He pulled some young wan at coppers that same night. The next morning, she was asking him about the Galway set up.
“Oh I never said I played for Galway”
Make of that what you will.

8 Likes

Cosgrave?

Edit: sorry, misread. Thought it was one of the Dubs

I think Michael Fennelly from Kilkenny lifted Liam McCarthy one year and did all the captain things afterwards even though he didn’t play in the final, and was a panel player at the time. He only seemed to be captain due to being on the winning senior club team, as is tradition in some counties.

I thought that was weird.