Belfast Town

Signing in

6 Likes

Had a day trip to Belfast today. Did the Titanic Experience and then drove down the Falls stopping at the Bobby Sands mural. Then onto Milltown cemetery to see the Republican plots and then home.

There is a lot in the Titanic Experience. I did the one with the guided tour first. You could usefully give yourself three and a half hours there.

4 Likes

The tour is only the tip of the iceberg

12 Likes

There’s an amazing sense of community in the falls, andersonstoown and twinbrook. A lot of fellas there did really well and could live anywhere…but you couldn’t drag them out of ‘the road’. “Themmuns have everything”, as the loyalists would say.

1 Like

4 Likes

A cracking spot.

1 Like

I’m up in Belfast next week. Normally I’d travel earlier in the day but need to go up latish Wednesday so need to eat en route. Any suggestions of where to eat en route from Dublin mid evening - 8pm or so.

Carrickdale Hotel maybe. A bit of a roaster joint. One minute off motorway. Exit 20.

Alternatively, you could go to Ballymascanlon Hotel. About five minutes off motorway. Exit 18.
Restaurant is very nice but fancy (three course sitting only). Bar is ok. Last meal I had there was disappointing (for first time).

1 Like

Cheers pal

1 Like

You will get a big feed in The Seven Stars in Loughbrickland or The Halfway a little further north. Some decent lighter eating in Blend & Batch in Banbridge, all venues that would undoubtedly benefit from the custom and culture of a southerner.

1 Like

Last time I was in Belfast I was chastised/complimented on my lovely free state accent by a waiter

1 Like

Some savage value to be had there…sd bell’s cuban roast is excellent

2 Likes

And put 6/8 bags of smoky coal in the boot OTW home
To keep the Greens happy

1 Like

Bringing the little lass back up to the W5 in Belfast tomorrow morning. She loved it the last time. Will probably spend the day up there. Was thinking of doing the zoo in afternoon but will leave that until the summer. We spent four hours in The W5 last time, and I’d imagine she will spend that time there again. Might take her to the CS Lewis Square. Ulster Museum?

Anyone got any other recommendations of family friendly stuff to do around the city? It’s a place I love just strolling about but don’t think we’ve had her really in and around the city before.

I’d say you have all the city centre attractions covered there. If the weather is decent you could head to Stormont, nice walks there and a very good playground. The folk museum is a decent day out too but you need a few hours and much better weather.

1 Like

There’s a bounce park called Vertigo just further out the road from the w5 past the titanic museum that’s good for kids.

Observation deck at the top of Victoria square is central and worth a visit, good views of the city.

Museum in the botanic gardens is free but needs to be booked as far as I remember, handy way to put in an hour or 2 with kids.

There’s a gruffalo walk in Colin Glen park, few miles outside the city put wouldn’t be too far out of your way when on the way home.

3 Likes

Lovely stuff gents @Halfpipe and @Gavrilo-Princip

2 Likes

Has anyone ever done the Falls/Shankill tour led by ex-POW’s? Sickened I didn’t do it when I was up last month.

Airtastic not bad but W5 better - there might be an ice hockey game or a show in the odyssey too.

1 Like