Betting on Club Games

it happens a bit in wexford, and there was even a report in the paper about a football game there recently where St Martins who were already qualified were playing Adamstown who had to win to be in with a chance to stay up. Adamstown won, but it made no impact on the standings in the group, but the bookies had them in some places I heard as long as 5-1. It was a simple case of bookies looking at the tables and results and going by that. There was outcrys of fixing etc, but anyone with half a brain would have lumped on Adamstown. Have heard of 4 figure sums being put on it, and I know a lot of people not involved with either club who bet heavily on that one.

I also know of another game, where the team travelling for a championship game were severely depleted, and 2 players put on €500 that they would lose. they were favorites due to previous, and this was only a league stage game. A prominent enough county player too was in serious debt due to gambling, and whilst I had heard he put large sums of money on club games, I dont know if that is true or not. Youd often hear of different teams around who pull together some money and put it on themselves to win a county final.

Yeah heard similar, reports from Galway.

Was it kiladeema leitrim or whatever they’re called who backed themselves to reach the knock out stages for the first time in years? All players had to pay in or some shite…

About ten years ago that happened I think. Nothing wrong with it either in fairness, nice little boost to morale if it does come off.

I know a player who has backed his club to win the county at 100/1.
They are now in the semis :ph34r:

No it’s not, it’s akin to thievery, are you an advocate of thievery Kev?

[quote=“The Tipping King, post: 713731”]

No it’s not, it’s akin to thievery, are you an advocate of thievery Kev?[/quote]

Generally no, but the opposite happened as well in the past and bookies h e been slow or haven’t paid back.

Yeah I agree with you WTB, no harm in backing your team to win…

[quote=“The Runt, post: 713730”]I know a player who has backed his club to win the county at 100/1.
They are now in the semis [/quote]

What a shrewdy this guy must be !

So you are an advocate of thievery then, for shame Kev, for shame.

[quote=“The Tipping King, post: 713735”]

So you are an advocate of thievery then, for shame Kev, for shame.[/quote]

I would have a bit if Robin Hood about me alright.

PP fucked up, took their eye off the ball. Should be a lesson to them

So if you fucked up and left your child un-attended for a moment in a supermarket and they were abducted, you would be thought a lesson and deserve that fate? :rolleyes: If you have a bet, have a bet, if you’re betting on an event that is over you are no better than scum.

I dont see how a punter ultimately made anything on such a bet through an online account. Surely PP voided the bets afterwards based on time placed?
It is only a variation on loading the wrong sku price for online sales such as has happened to Amazon, HP, Dell & others.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 713732”]

Generally no, but the opposite happened as well in the past and bookies h e been slow or haven’t paid back.[/quote]

The bookie could simply renege, betting contracts aren’t legally enforceable…

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App

:rolleyes: Yes, yes they are. It’s a licensed and regulated industry, betting contracts are legally forceable.

[quote=“The Tipping King, post: 713738”]

So if you fucked up and left your child un-attended for a moment in a supermarket and they were abducted, you would be thought a lesson and deserve that fate? If you have a bet, have a bet, if you’re betting on an event that is over you are no better than scum.[/quote]

Ya basically I agree. Obviously a stupid analogy as they are nit at the same value of loss, but if you leave your child um attended you certainly don’t deserve much luck.

Guess who works fir the bookies . The irony of a bookie calling anyone scum is hilarious.

The only one a bookie would pay out for an after timer bet is for a degenerate gambler

Never come across palpable error then?

??? Is there something missing with you Kev? Is everything alright? I always wonder about lads who are “forced” to leave the country.

I have indeed Eoin, that doesn’t mean that every bet you have is not binding.

Fairly sure they are not.