Big, Big Month For Celtic - Part II

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Why do you have a predisposition to comment on all Celtic topics during the day and have a dig?

We get it. You think Celtic are shite. You don’t rate McGeady. You want to blow off MON and Ashley Young.

Leave it there ffs.[/quote]

Surprisingly close to what I was about to post. I’ve actually stopped reading a lot of his posts now as you can almost predict them before you read them.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Why do you have a predisposition to comment on all Celtic topics during the day and have a dig?

We get it. You think Celtic are shite. You don’t rate McGeady. You want to blow off MON and Ashley Young.

Leave it there ffs.[/quote]

Its hardly a dig at Glasgow Celtic. Just wanted to know how MON got on with him? MON has signed Petrov already from Glasgow Celtic so you wouldnt need to be Einstein to reckon there is more of a chance McGeady will be off to Villa Park in Jan. Especially since we need cover out wide.

I’d say I have a pretty balanced view of MON capabilities. Ashley Young is class.

If back in Leitrim that consitutes wanting to blow someone off, fair enough. We know now why Declan Darcy left.

[quote=“KIB man”]
If back in Leitrim that consitutes wanting to blow someone off, fair enough. We know now why Declan Darcy left.[/quote]

Rubbish slag.

The Times and The Guardian on the bust up:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2008/12/celtic-must-act.html

Celtic must act cautiously over Strachan spat

Graham Spiers

The revelation that Aiden McGeady and Gordon Strachan have had yet another spat behind the scenes at Celtic raises a number of issues, not the least of which is the anxiety a club suffers when a “star player” turns on his manager.

Over this McGeady-Strachan imbroglio, Celtic must tread carefully.

The roots of the tension are obvious. Strachan, a talented manager, is also lippy, spiky and more than a tad confrontational. McGeady, for his part, has a sure conceit which, according to witnesses inside Parkhead, will often prompt him to “bite back” whenever he is being taken to task by Strachan. It makes for an explosive cocktail which the newspapers, lusting for leaks around the Old Firn, are currently salivating over.

In an ideal world Gordon Strachan should be untouchable at Celtic. He has won three successive titles and, if the current campaign was suspended tomorrow, would be adding a fourth to that haul. Two advances to the last 16 of the Champions League - a feat craved by but denied Martin O’Neill in Glasgow - only adds to Strachan’s case. Ordinarily, you would say that a football manager should hold sway and be bomb-proof in these situations.

Yet it doesn’t always turn out like that. Two years ago almost to the month Paul Le Guen at Rangers was having a similar stand-off with Barry Ferguson, and at the time I blithely and erroneously wrote (not for a first time): “If it comes to Le Guen versus Ferguson, there can only be one winner…a manager will prevail.”

Yet at the very moment I was writing these words, Sir David Murray, the Rangers chairman, was in a mild panic about what to do, having decided that he must come down on the side of Ferguson. It is hard to believe the same would happen at Celtic, though the club cherishes McGeady, a gem of the Celtic youth system.

The McGeady situation is also complicated by his injury situation this season. He has hardly got going in this 2008-09 campaign, causing some to wonder if he really is the truly exciting player many of us had believed. In truth, we can only go on the evidence of last season at Celtic, where the Republic of Ireland winger was regularly outstanding.

The fact is, the club can ill-afford to go without McGeady, especially now that Shaun Maloney is out for at least two months with a hamstring tear. Yet nor will Strachan wish to have his authority undermined by McGeady, especially in front of the other Celtic players, which will add to the manager’s indignation.

It is a complicated saga in which Strachan, more than McGeady, has to work out his best options. Right now Celtic may be urging McGeady to issue a public apology to his manager - a request the player may not appreciate.

Ulitmately, no player is indispensable. To take an extreme example, when Manchester United finally tired of the genius that was George Best, and told him to stay away from Old Trafford all those years ago, it stood as a sobering reminder that a football club and its intrinsic authority must rise above all events. A personality clash between two principals, however, only makes for a messy disharmony.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/15/celtic-newcastle-bayern-munich

McGeady’s row with Strachan puts admirers on transfer alert

Ewan Murray

Newcastle United and Bayern Munich are among those keeping a close watching brief on Aiden McGeady’s situation at Celtic after it emerged that the winger had a heated row with his manager, Gordon Strachan, after last Saturday’s draw with Hearts.

Another Celtic player has confirmed that an argument broke out between Strachan and the Republic of Ireland international in the dressing room on Saturday. Earlier this season, speculation of a rift between manager and player emerged after McGeady was asked not to attend a video review session of an Old Firm defeat by Rangers.

Senior Celtic figures have played down the latest rift as a “football matter which will be dealt with internally”. Yet the prospect of McGeady leaving Celtic, the club he joined from school, next month cannot be discounted. McGeady had a day off yesterday, as did the rest of Celtic’s squad, as Strachan and the chief executive, Peter Lawwell, discussed the matter.

McGeady and his father are now expected to hold discussions with Lawwell over the next 48 hours. A fine of two weeks’ wages about 30,000 may be imposed on McGeady. The matter of potentially selling arguably their biggest asset is made more troublesome for Celtic given the hero status afforded to McGeady by the club’s supporters.

Rated at 10m after signing a five-year contract in July, McGeady has attracted admiring glances from Newcastle since Kevin Keegan’s second time in charge of the club, even if raising the necessary funds may prove a problem at St James’ Park. Sunderland had an inquiry for the 22-year-old rejected out of hand in the close season but their interest is likely to have waned since Roy Keane, McGeady’s former team-mate, departed the Stadium of Light.

A move to Germany may appear unlikely but McGeady is understood not to be averse to a transfer abroad. Of more immediate interest is whether he returns to the Celtic line-up for Sunday’s trip to Falkirk. The second Glasgow derby of the season arrives just six days later.

Ironically, the man who opened the scoring for Hearts on Saturday, Andrew Driver, is a potential successor to McGeady if the latter is allowed to leave the Scottish champions.

I don’t think this situation is going to end well.

This will surely make January an even bigger month for Celtic :smiley:

Dont give him ideas.

bone of contention, farmer :smiley:

Is McGeady really only on 15k a week? I would have thought the new contract would have been bigger, some seriously shit journeymen in England are earning more than that

In fairness, predicatble tripe being posted on every topic isnt just confined to Celtic topics.

Every Munster/GAA topic gets the same.

I know another, formerly great, forum that went down the tubes for this exact reason

Yep, the financial climate is hugely different for football clubs in both countries and Celtic’s wage structure reflects that.

Here’s a picture from outside Celtic Park today where the supporters have turned up demanding answers:

[quote=“dancarter”]In fairness, predicatble tripe being posted on every topic isnt just confined to Celtic topics.

Every Munster/GAA topic gets the same.

I know another, formerly great, forum that went down the tubes for this exact reason[/quote]

fuck off carter

whats it got to do with you cornflake? Why did you think I was talking about you? :smiley:

[quote=“Bandage”]Yep, the financial climate is hugely different for football clubs in both countries and Celtic’s wage structure reflects that.

Here’s a picture from outside Celtic Park today where the supporters have turned up demanding answers:

I was nearly certain that Groundskeeper Willie was an Aberdeen fan :stuck_out_tongue:

i didnt like your tone

Fuck off patacake

Oh jesus

Will you stop trying to ruin threads ncc…Always the same either trying to start an arguement or Wumming…Give it a break to fuck

huh?

this tripe here ruined this thread
"I know another, formerly great, forum that went down the tubes for this exact reason "

let it go ffs

[quote=“north county corncrake”]huh?

this tripe here ruined this thread
"I know another, formerly great, forum that went down the tubes for this exact reason "

let it go ffs[/quote]

il let it go when you let everything else go gardenrake