Big, Big Month For Celtic - Part II

Desmond may sell, he may not. Not sure what relevance it has to the discussion. Celtic arenā€™t the only plc around you know. And a regulated plc is a far healthier business structure than a debt-laden toy for bored billionaires la Chelsea.

Facts are not your strong points. Celtic were in the knock out stages last year. Oh and the year before. Is there your first year following soccer?

[quote=ā€œKIB manā€]I once won a hitting the sliothar into a barrel competition in a field day. I won a fiver and got a medal. Shit maybe I should have got an open top bus. There was a hell of a lot more competition too.

Now I know you love your populations so Iā€™m going to try and venture along this murky way. Liverpool with two established football clubs has a population of less than half a million. Birmingham with a big club, Villa and Bā€™Ham City a nothing club in reality has twice that population approx. Villa have a fantastic youth set up, supposedly one of the best training complexes in Europe, tradition of success, a top manager in the bag. You telling me that they werent an attractive proposition for Lerner to buy. He saw the potential. Why was the Celtic messiah MON interested so?[/quote]

So why would Lerner not take over a club in Dublin then? Geography my dear. Itā€™s all your based on.

Thereā€™s glory seeking in basking in the limelight of the EPL. In blindly knocking anything that isnā€™t in the EPL. In thinking that also-rans in the EPL are somehow worthy of praise and adulation. The beauty of course is that nobody else gives a shit who finished fifth in the EPL. It doesnā€™t matter a fuck. And McLeish was sacked from his last SPL job - thatā€™s your ringing endorsemenet right there! Eejit.

Good luck with that. The hope ye have of finishing fifth!

John Hartson is the in-depth interviewee with Rebecca Lowe on Football Matters. Interestingly, he said Gordon Strachan is the best manager heā€™s ever played under.

He must have meant just in the SPL Bandage. He played in the EPL too, so I doubt he even remembers much about his time winning trophies.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]Desmond may sell, he may not. Not sure what relevance it has to the discussion. Celtic arenā€™t the only plc around you know. And a regulated plc is a far healthier business structure than a debt-laden toy for bored billionaires la Chelsea.

The relevance being your hyper market reference to the EPL and Villa. A truly ridiculous statement when Celtic are a PLC and could be bought tomorrow. Why wont anyone invest in Celtic?

Facts are not your strong points. Celtic were in the knock out stages last year. Oh and the year before. Is there your first year following soccer?

Granted it may take another round to get rid of the muckers some times. An SPL side has still to make the quarter finals of the CL. How many years is that. A free pass every year and still not even to the quarters. That is poor. No wonder the fans have time for travelling down to Manchester for testimonials. The player in question took the piss out of the club too dont forget.

So why would Lerner not take over a club in Dublin then? Geography my dear. Itā€™s all your based on.

Maybe because he felt Aston Villa was an investment worth making. Iā€™m only throwing that out there. As a successful business man why didnt he buy Celtic for a set of jerseys and try and win the Champions League. He didnt fancy it and noone else has either tho. Why?

Thereā€™s glory seeking in basking in the limelight of the EPL. In blindly knocking anything that isnā€™t in the EPL. In thinking that also-rans in the EPL are somehow worthy of praise and adulation. The beauty of course is that nobody else gives a shit who finished fifth in the EPL. It doesnā€™t matter a fuck. And McLeish was sacked from his last SPL job - thatā€™s your ringing endorsemenet right there! Eejit.

The EPL. The league Celtic and Rangers have tried for years to join. Depends how you measure success tho Rock? Success for Sunderland would be a top 10 position. 5th for Villa. What is progress for Celtic? How do ye even know your progressing? When you can attract quality like Samaras and Maloney and your seemingly best player McGeady attracts one of Europeā€™s biggest clubs Middlesboro to have an interest in him. When a mid table Danish can take 4 points off a seasoned Champions League side like yourselves.

People give out about the Munster bandwagon. Following Celtic is one of the most misguided perverse nationalist thing an Irish person could do. Wear those poppies with pride and come join a club going somewhere.

www.avfc.co.uk

Good luck with that. The hope ye have of finishing fifth![/quote]

This is getting more and more insane.

KIB Manā€™s now attempting to redefine what constitutes Champions Leaue knock-out stages when it was pointed out that Celtic were involved at that stage twice recently.

Celtic have won the European Cup, as pointed out already. The competition changed its structure but it didnā€™t wipe out its history. KIB Man must similarly conclude that Liverpool have never won an English league title in that case. Gas stuff.

Overall, an Aston Villa supporter looking down on a club that pisses all over them under any objective heading is rather amusing.

It must be cold in our shadow. We donā€™t even consider a team whoā€™s not able to compete with us in the Champions League as a rival, yet we still engender that bitterness. Itā€™s what happens when youā€™re a big club like Celtic, I suppose.

Pity Hartson wasnt Irish. Charlton could have done with him in the Harry Ramsden challenge.

Hope the interview isnt too in depth. Depth wouldnt be his strongpoint

I like the way Bandage is looking down on Villa despite the fact that Villa have the same European Cup wins as Celtic. Reaching the knockout stages is no big deal. Its winning the competition that matters.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]This is getting more and more insane.

Turn off the gas so. Your heading is obviously melting a bit. Or else you could be close to that moment of clarity.

KIB Manā€™s now attempting to redefine what constitutes Champions Leaue knock-out stages when it was pointed out that Celtic were involved at that stage twice recently.

Celtic have won the European Cup, as pointed out already. The competition changed its structure but it didnā€™t wipe out its history. KIB Man must similarly conclude that Liverpool have never won an English league title in that case. Gas stuff.

WTF? Bit of a ramble off tangent even by your standards. Then again Gas is mentioned.

Overall, an Aston Villa supporter looking down on a club that pisses all over them under any objective heading is rather amusing.

What club you on about? Man Utd, Liverpool . Turn off the gas

It must be cold in our shadow. We donā€™t even consider a team whoā€™s not able to compete with us in the Champions League as a rival, yet we still engender that bitterness. Itā€™s what happens when youā€™re a big club like Celtic, I suppose.[/quote]

I didnt bring Aston Villa up on this thread so its obvious there is some kind paranoia going on in planet Bandage. Are Aalborg a rival so. Rock was on about before on how I should compare Celtic not to clubs in the EPL but clubs in the Danish, Swedish, Dutch leagues. Big club Celtic. We signed your star midfielder Petrov. A world beater at Celtic. Finally in his third season showing why we spent 6m on him. We signed the best player in the SPL last season, Cuellar. Debatable as to whether he is first choice. He looks handy enough. Maloney former SPL player of the year and Celtic hero barely made our bench at the end. We sold him back to Celtic for a profit after 18 months. As if MON hasnt taken the piss out of Celtic enough. Barry Ferguson failed at Blackburn, Boumsong at Newcastle. Kenny Miller at Derby. Richie Foran at Southend. The list goes on. An all time X1 from the SPL is probably a whos who of EPL misfits. Arteta a notebale exception

As said before, Iā€™d take McGeady as he has a bit of promise. We need cover for Young and Milner and we could give him a chance in the cup games etc. He might develop with John Robertsonā€™s coaching and iron out his obvious flaws. Its still a gamble tho so no more than 5m could be spent. Id expect Stephen Hunt to go for roughly the same price in Jan.

It has to be the gas Shan. Though he is more than well capable of spewing out horse shite

[quote=ā€œKIB manā€]Pity Hartson wasnt Irish. Charlton could have done with him in the Harry Ramsden challenge.

Hope the interview isnt too in depth. Depth wouldnt be his strongpoint[/quote]

I presume thatā€™s meant to be cutting but itā€™s the type of effort Iā€™d expect from a slow 12-year old.

Shan, thanks for admiring my Villa comments. Just thought it very odd that a Villa supporter would scoff at and dismiss Celticā€™s recent victories over many of Europeā€™s finest sides given theyā€™ve no European pedigree of note over the past couple of decades.

You might notice I never made any disparaging comments about their European Cup winning side, rather I mentioned I donā€™t think coming 6th or something in the EPL is worthy of the admiration and adulation KIB Man laughably seems to feel it warrants.

I would have thought that kind of Richard Keys/Sky Sports mentality hadnā€™t permeated throughout Ireland to the extent that ā€˜coming within 5 points of the Big 4ā€™ is deemed a better achievemement than winning a European trophy and is something more personal to KIB Man who seems to bow at the altar of English football above anything else. But of course, that could also largely be because he has no experience of following a team who compete regularly in Europe and beat major sides from around the continent.

Kib Man could point out that Villa will have Uefa cup football in the new year providing they dont lose at home to MÅ K Žilina on Thursday while Celtic are already out of Europe. They have a good chance to go far if Oā€™Neill brings in a couple of players in January as I think Villas squad is one of the smallest in the league.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]I presume thatā€™s meant to be cutting but itā€™s the type of effort Iā€™d expect from a slow 12-year old.

Shan, thanks for admiring my Villa comments. Just thought it very odd that a Villa supporter would scoff at and dismiss Celticā€™s recent victories over many of Europeā€™s finest sides given theyā€™ve no European pedigree of note over the past couple of decades.

You might notice I never made any disparaging comments about their European Cup winning side, rather I mentioned I donā€™t think coming 6th or something in the EPL is worthy of the admiration and adulation KIB Man laughably seems to feel it warrants.

Yes you just forgot all about it. 5th is progress for Villa. I deem progress success.

I would have thought that kind of Richard Keys/Sky Sports mentality hadnā€™t permeated throughout Ireland to the extent that ā€˜coming within 5 points of the Big 4ā€™ is deemed a better achievemement than winning a European trophy and is something more personal to KIB Man who seems to bow at the altar of English football above anything else. But of course, that could also largely be because he has no experience of following a team who compete regularly in Europe and beat major sides from around the continent.[/quote]

What channel is the SPL on? Setanta is it? What European trophy have Celtic won in recent times you bufoon. What major sides have Celtic knocked out of the Champions League in recent times? Some of the group stage games are a waste of time as Iā€™m sure many on here will agree with. How many teams have qualified already for the next stage. Ye may even beat Villarealā€™s reserves in a couple of weeks.

Yes, the SPL is on Setanta - you ignoramous.

Thatā€™s not the best European record since the high of 1982. In fact, itā€™s rather shit for Villa. End Of.

http://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/a_villa_in_europe.htm

Villa won the Inter-Toto Cup there. :wink:

[quote=ā€œKIB manā€]I didnt bring Aston Villa up on this thread so its obvious there is some kind paranoia going on in planet Bandage. Are Aalborg a rival so. Rock was on about before on how I should compare Celtic not to clubs in the EPL but clubs in the Danish, Swedish, Dutch leagues. Big club Celtic. We signed your star midfielder Petrov. A world beater at Celtic. Finally in his third season showing why we spent 6m on him. We signed the best player in the SPL last season, Cuellar. Debatable as to whether he is first choice. He looks handy enough. Maloney former SPL player of the year and Celtic hero barely made our bench at the end. We sold him back to Celtic for a profit after 18 months. As if MON hasnt taken the piss out of Celtic enough. Barry Ferguson failed at Blackburn, Boumsong at Newcastle. Kenny Miller at Derby. Richie Foran at Southend. The list goes on. An all time X1 from the SPL is probably a whos who of EPL misfits. Arteta a notebale exception

As said before, Iā€™d take McGeady as he has a bit of promise. We need cover for Young and Milner and we could give him a chance in the cup games etc. He might develop with John Robertsonā€™s coaching and iron out his obvious flaws. Its still a gamble tho so no more than 5m could be spent. Id expect Stephen Hunt to go for roughly the same price in Jan.[/quote]

No youā€™re wrong again honey. I asked you why you expect Celtic to be better than clubs from Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Sweden etc? Make all the comparisons you like, Iā€™ve never suggested you act otherwise.

Also you ā€œforgotā€ to come back on the comments in this post:
http://www.thefreekick.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=98357&postcount=25

Specifically where your wikipedia research let you down and you made a complete arse of your comparison.

It seems to be positive news about McGeady and this report from The Herald suggests heā€™ll be back for Sunday all going well and will require an injection at worst that would only keep him out for a week.

McGeady poised to return after knee scan

Aiden McGeady could be fit to face Hibernian on Sunday afternoon after a scan on his right knee revealed that he will not require surgery.

The scan showed minor inflammation in his tendon rather than a tear or any other major damage and, following a period of rest, the Celtic winger will take part in training today with a view to an imminent return.

If he comes through the session unscathed, he should be available for the visit to Easter Road at the weekend. However, if the 22-year-old has an adverse reaction he will be given an injection that will allow a return to the first team after a period of seven days.

McGeady has been out with a bout of tendinitis since the start of November and has missed the clubā€™s last six games.

He travelled with the Celtic squad to Denmark last week but failed a fitness test prior to the 2-1 defeat by BK Aalborg.

Before the game, McGeady had spoken of his desire to keep playing. ā€œI want to try to play my way through it. I spoke to Neil Lennon the Celtic first-team coach the other day and he said he had the same thing and had an operation a few years ago. It is not something I am really thinking about just now. If I can, I would rather play until the end of the season and put it back until the summer.ā€

It is not the first time McGeady has suffered from the condition and he also had an injection last season to allow him to continue playing.

It has been a stop-start campaign for the 22-year-old, who had made significant contributions without hitting the same heights as he did last season, when he won the SPFA Player of the Year award.

ā€œI feel as if my season hasnā€™t really started,ā€ he reflected. ā€œI have not had a run of games and it has been quite frustrating, with the team doing so well. I wanted to capitalise on last season and take it to another level but it hasnā€™t really worked out that way for me.ā€

Good news. Heā€™s out a good while now so youā€™d think itā€™s unlikely that heā€™ll play on Saturday but he seems to have been training on and off with it so maybe heā€™s not far off full fitness. Great boost having him back though.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]No youā€™re wrong again honey. I asked you why you expect Celtic to be better than clubs from Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Sweden etc? Make all the comparisons you like, Iā€™ve never suggested you act otherwise.

You rambled on about how Scottish clubs get slagged off but when you compare them to leagues of similar size their record is superior. Something along those lines. Ajax have won the CL and PSV were in the semi finals a few years ago. Standard Liege are a distance better than Celtic. Aalborg took 4 points of Celtic and have claimed the Uefa Cup spot with one game to go. Not sure what league the spleague is better than but anyway.

Also you ā€œforgotā€ to come back on the comments in this post:
http://www.thefreekick.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=98357&postcount=25

Specifically where your wikipedia research let you down and you made a complete arse of your comparison.[/quote]

No, in the four full seasons that both were in charge of their respective clubs both won two titles each. McLeish took over in Dec by which Rangers were miles off. In any case his record even to a neutral compares well with the Messiah. Is that a complete arse. Wiki research! Iā€™d take a punt that is where you and Bandage found out that Aston Villa won the European Cup. Idiot. Look its here gift wrapped for you in sweeet Wikipedia wrapping.

Anyway since this is the Celtic thread do ye not have a friendly or testimonial to be talking about

Wikipedia

His work at Hibs was noticed, and he was linked with several moves to England, before he was appointed as Rangers manager in December 2001[5] after outgoing Rangers manager Dick Advocaat recommended McLeish to chairman David Murray.[6]

McLeish was an instant success at Rangers, winning both the Scottish Cup[7] and Scottish League Cup[8] in his first season, but the big prize of the league title was essentially lost before his arrival. His second season saw him go one better when he won the domestic treble, with the help of top players such as Ronald de Boer and Barry Ferguson.[9]

Rangersā€™ worsening financial state saw many of his top players leave in the summer of 2003. Celtic won the league comfortably in season 200304, and Rangers failed to win any trophies.[10] McLeish was consequently put under pressure from fans after his poor signings and a record run of seven consecutive derby losses to Celtic.[11]

The high profile Bosman signings of Jean-Alain Boumsong and Dado Pro in the close season of 200405 gave Rangers renewed hope of regaining the title from Celticā€™s grasp.[12] McLeishā€™s team won the 2005 league title on a dramatic last day, an outcome that had looked highly unlikely after Rangers fell five points behind leaders Celtic with just four games remaining.[13]

After this unexpected success, McLeish and his Rangers team headed into the 200506 SPL campaign as favourites to retain the championship. McLeish made a number of signings, despite having little money to spend. These included Julien Rodriguez and Ian Murray. After a reasonable start to the season, including a win over Celtic,[14] Rangers suffered a series of poor results between September and November. This period included a club record of 10 games without a win. However the tenth match of this run, a 11 draw with Inter Milan in the Champions League, took Rangers into the knockout stages of the tournament for the first time.[15]

Despite the poor domestic form, McLeish guided Rangers to the last 16 of the Champions League, where they were defeated on the away goals rule by Villarreal.[16] They became the first Scottish team to progress this far in the European Cup since 1993, and the first Scottish team to progress through a European group stage.[15] In December, chairman David Murray publicly announced his support for McLeish.[17] Rangers then went on a good run of results in December and January.

This run of good results came to a sudden halt when they were defeated 30 by Hibernian in the Scottish Cup,[18] prompting protests outside Ibrox against both McLeish and David Murray.[19] On 9 February 2006, the increasing supportersā€™ unrest and protests caused Rangers chairman David Murray to announce that Alex McLeish had had his contract teminated with notice at the end of the season.[20]

It was later announced that he would be succeeded by former Olympique Lyonnais manager Paul Le Guen. Rangers beat Hearts 20 at Ibrox Stadium, in his final match as manager

Eh no, you told us your source was wikipedia.

And your comment originally was:

ā€œIn the same timeframe (Wikipedia) that both men were at their respective clubs 2001-2005. Both men won 2 SPL titles and 2 Scottish Cups.ā€

I merely pointed how that your comment was wrong. Oā€™Neill won 3 SPL titles and 3 Scottish Cups in the period from 2001-2005.

You can change the definition of what you meant to say afterwards but frankly it matters little. Itā€™s a bit like when you said that only the knockout stages of the CL had merit and then revised that to mean just the last 8. Revisionism at its best.