Big, Big Month For Celtic - Part IV

January was a crap month for Celtic. Only 1 win from 4 league games has resulted in the lead being cut from 7 to 2 points. We progressed in both cups so there’s still a potential treble on the cards despite the poor performances. The derby on Sunday week is a critical game now:

Remaining February Fixtures:
Sat, 7 Feb: Queen’s Park (H) - Scottish Cup
Sun, 15 Feb: Huns (H) - SPL
Sun, 22 Feb: Motherwell (A) - SPL
Sat, 28 Feb: St Mirren (H) - SPL

Willo Flood has arrived from Dundee United, where he was on loan from Cardiff City.

Paul Caddis and Chris Killen have joined Dundee United and Norwich City respectively on loan for the remainder of the season.

There’s reports coming in that Cillian Sheridan is set to join Motherwell on loan prior to the deadline too.

The departure of Killen and Sheridan, along with Ben Hutchinson’s injury, might suggest Celtic are still hopeful of pushing through the Steven Fletcher transfer. We would otherwise appear to be short of striker cover.

Like the saw series of movies, each new one of these threads gets worse in quality. :smiley:

I saw the interview they had with Willo Flood on sky. He looked more a fan than an actual player.

[quote=“Captainshan”]Like the saw series of movies, each new one of these threads gets worse in quality. :smiley:

I saw the interview they had with Willo Flood on sky. He looked more a fan than an actual player.[/quote]

I thought he looked and sounded like an extra from Rats.

Who’s this Rocco Quinn they sent on loan to Hamilton lads? Is he any use or is he Irish?

[quote=“Captainshan”]Like the saw series of movies, each new one of these threads gets worse in quality. :smiley:

I saw the interview they had with Willo Flood on sky. He looked more a fan than an actual player.[/quote]

NFL.com are reporting that Superbowl XLIII was one for the ages. I have every confidence that good times will come as we progress up the roman numerals ladder.

Willo Flood is a Celtic supporter by the way.

Rocco Quinn’s a young Scottish reserve player. Well, when I say young - he’s 21 or 22. He’s regularly been out on loan in recent seasons and should really be moving on permanently to get first team football at this stage of his career.

Apparently we did go in with a fresh bid for Fletcher yesterday but it was turned down. Not too displeased that we have Caddis and Sheridan out on loan though and it will be interesting to see how the two of them go. Dundee United is a good spot for Caddis.

To be fair Rock, I cant see Sheridan making it at any kind of level but hopefully he will get some starts anyway.

It’s hard to know with him. He’s looked good in some games but not up to it in others. He has very few games under his belt at reserve level even so there’s plenty of scope for improvement but there is plenty of improvement required.

Sheridan looked like he had a bit of potential and knocked in a few goals. His last few games though he was shite. Too slow and can’t hold onto possession. Might do him the world of good to be playing constantly somewhere else and he’s still young of course.

he was woeful when he came on on sunday

Aye, wojus.

He looks to me on the few times I have seen him like a Gaelic footballer playing soccer. Dont think he has any change of pace or quick feet to get him out of tight situations. He may win a header or hold the odd ball up well but just cant see it happening for him. Wouldnt mind being proved wrong tho

He would remind you of that actually.
Bit like me in a way :smiley:

List Of Celtic’s Transfer Window Signings

Michael Lang, 17, Swiss defender: (FC Gallen - 10k)
Milan Misun, 18, Czech defender: (FK Pribram - 70k)
Patrik Twardzik, 15, German defender: (Hertha Berlin - free)
Filip Twardzik, 15, German midfielder: (Hertha Berlin - free)
Willo Flood, 23, Irish midfielder: (Cardiff City - 80k)
Niall McGinn, 21, Irish midfielder: (Derry City - 120k)
John Marsden, 16, English striker: (Wigan - 50k)
Petar Skuletic, 18, Serbian striker: (Partizan Belgrade - 15k)

Total Cost - 345k. Average age - 17.

I have no qualms with us signing young talent but they really need to be supplemented by first team arrivals too.

We have certain positions in the first team that need to be addressed but they’ve been ignored.

As I said, I hope Willo Flood’s a success but Paul Caddis is a similarly diminutive player with good energy and drive.

We’ve now got a load of squad and reserve players at a similar level but we lack quality at centre back, left back and upfront.

I don’t understand why Sheridan was let go out on loan either given Big Jan is injury prone, Hutchinson is injured, Maloney’s stepping up his return but prefers to play out wide and Killen had already gone to Norwich. We definitely lack striking depth now.

Sheridan is a poor man’s Gary Doherty I’m afraid. He’s got possibly the worst first touch I’ve ever seen for a professional footballer. He did alright in that little spell in October/November but there’s no way he will make it in the long term at Celtic.

Willo Flood in The Herald:

Shirt number tailor made for Flood

MARTIN GREIG February 03 2009

Willo Flood looks prone to a sudden gale never mind a Barry Ferguson bone-cruncher. Appearances are deceptive. The 23-year-old midfielder is a player of considerable substance and reflected on the fulfilment of a boyhood dream yesterday when he was formally unveiled in a Celtic shirt.

Said shirt, with No.16 on the back, holds a particular resonance for the young Irishman. When he was informed that Roy Keane wore the same number during his short spell at Parkhead, a broad grin spread across his elfin features.

Flood recalled playing against the former Manchester United captain in only his fifth top-team appearance for Manchester City. Ten minutes into the derby match, in November 2004, Keane cemented his 19-year-old countryman and was booked. Lesser players would have disappeared but Flood dusted himself down and formed part of an impressive City rearguard action that eventually earned a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford.

After the match, he even had the temerity to tap Keane on the shoulder and request his shirt. “Keane is my all-time hero,” he said. "He’s probably the best player we’ve ever had in our country and the best we’ll ever have. The best leader, the best captain and an absolute hero everywhere in the world.

"When we faced each other, I got smashed by him after about 10 minutes, so that was good. Asking for his jersey went down well.

He said to me he would give it to me in the tunnel. He then got the kit man of Manchester United to give it to me in person. It just showed the mark of the man.

"I gave it to my mate James Shorthall who was Man United daft. I don’t know why. We have regrets in life and that was my biggest.

His ma’ put it in the wash the next day and forgot about it. She’s not the brightest spark."

Flood was highly rated at City but the club grew frustrated at his failure to add bulk to his sylph-like frame. A couple of loan spells followed by a switch to Cardiff City failed to ignite his career and it was not until he was spirited north to Dundee United on loan that his talents finally started to re-emerge. "There were low points. At City, I was playing, then not. I went to the Championship to get games, but when it went pear-shaped there, I had to have confidence in myself, my agent and my family.

I gave it to my mate. His ma put it in the wash the next day and forgot about it

"I had doubts, but I knew that you can’t be 19 and playing in the Premiership and be a bad player. I knew there was something there and I had to bring it out. Leaving Cardiff, I had to play games and get confidence back. That is what I done. Craig Levein, the Dundee United manager has been unbelievable to me. He’s the one that got me here and got me my confidence back.

I owe everything to him.

“So far in my footballing career, he has been the biggest influence. I have a lot to thank him for. Things worked out really well at Dundee United and I was thinking about staying. But when the chance to play for the club I supported as a boy came along, there was only one answer.”

Flood is a forthright character on and off the field. After Dundee United’s defeat to Celtic last Wednesday, in which he missed the decisive penalty in the shoot-out, the midfielder criticised the way the Parkhead club had drawn out the proposed transfer on the eve of an important game. Yesterday, he was sheepish when reminded of his comments.

"It was heat of the moment. I was upset. It was a semi-final and I’d missed a penalty to get Dundee United knocked out. I was upset for United, but I blew things out of context and I do regret what I said. My agent was on the phone saying, What have you done?’ I thought, at the time, I shouldn’t have said it, but tempers were flying and I just spoke.

“It was so close, yet so far away. It was a dream and I was wondering if it was going to happen or not.”

Flood trotted out the usual pleasantries about biding his time and not being able to walk into the Celtic first team. Circumstances may dictate that he gets his chance sooner rather than later. Celtic’s uninspired 0-0 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Sunday saw their lead over Rangers reduced to two points, with the next Old Firm game less than a fortnight ago.

Flood may be called upon to inject some fresh impetus into a team who have lost momentum in recent weeks. This time last year, Celtic brought in his former United team-mate Barry Robson, who played a key role in the eventual title success. Flood hopes to emulate his impact.

“I knew Baz was good enough to go to Celtic and play because I saw him in training,” said Flood. "He got the recognition at Celtic, but I’m coming at a different time. He arrived when Celtic were a few points behind and nobody thought Rangers could be caught.

“Celtic are at the top on merit just now and the boys in the team are playing top-notch football. It’s going to be hard for me to get in, but I just need to get my chance and take it. I think if I get in, I can give the team a lift.”

Flood also offers Celtic versatility and is able to play central midfield or wide right. Neil Lennon, the first-team coach, has already spoken about him as a possible successor to Shunsuke Nakamura, who will go home to Japan in the summer.

“Nakamura is an absolute legend back home in Ireland,” said Flood. “They think he is God. If I am half as much of a success, I’ll be happy. The manager has said he likes my drive, he likes my enthusiasm and he likes my ability. He said it’s now up to me. He said I’ll need to work hard, but I would be working with a great group.”

Might be in Glasgow for a few hours midweek later this month. Would it be worth tipping out to Parkhead and doing the tour of the stadium/museum? Or even doing the Ibrox one?

no, its just an empty stadium, head to lennoxtown or whatever its called

what’s that?

Celtic training ground