Bleeding Radiators

One of the radiators in my extensive gaff won’t come on. At most there’s a really gentle heat at the bottom. The pipe on the right hand side is hot so the heat is getting as far as the radiator itself but not circulating therein.

I do recall hearing people use the term “bleeding a radiator” before. Anyone know if this is what I need to do and how I should go about it exactly?

Also as we’re discussing household issues, where’s a good place to buy cheap lightbulbs? I have a load of spotlights in my kitchen and the bulbs go regularly enough and they’re expensive bastards to replace. Presume there are good alternatives online?

The first thing you should do is keep calm.

1 Like

I’m no plumber Rocko but this is how it should work.

There should be a hole in the top corner of your radiator which is permanently plugged with a valve of some sort.

This valve needs to be opened with a key of some type or vice grips or pliers.

Doing this should release any air pressure from the radiator.

Be careful while doing this though as you’ll probably get some spillage

Rocko, this is very important before you start- where were you born?

The radiator is air locked Rocko. You should have an allan key somewhere that fits the radiator so use that to twist the small screw at the top of the radiator to gradually release the air. Don’t turn it too much cos water might gush out and destroy your gaff.

Have you tried Firefox?

Get the L.E.D. spotlights rocko, they are expensive but last for years.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 570533”]
The radiator is air locked Rocko. You should have an allan key somewhere that fits the radiator so use that to twist the small screw at the top of the radiator to gradually release the air. Don’t turn it too much cos water might gush out and destroy your gaff.
[/quote]

NB

This sounds like a job I’m not capable of to be honest. Thanks for the help, I’ll ask the father-in-law or someone to do it.

LEDs seem to be what’s mostly offered online so will get those.

I thought it was good anyway :smiley:

Oh dear

He’ll wonder how he let him inside the door in the first place.

:unsure:

Oh christ.

Maybe get Bandages €100 a hour cleaner to do it.

http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

It’s a domestic rad, not on in a car or other vehicle???

One lad can’t drive and the other cant bleed a rad the Dunph really should have a look at what is going on in the Arab world and lead a revolt, from the sounds of things it wouldn’t take much.

Rocko if all else fails asks the wife

if you do that you will never live it down.
modern radiators generally have this valve on the end facing out and many of them are slotted for using a screw driver. if they are square you will almost certainly be able to buy the little key in a hardware shop.

get a towel under the nozzel open the valve gradually and when the water starts to come out turn it off.

[color="#FF0000"]dont ask the father in law or any male friend relative work colleague or acquaintance that you will be spending more than five minutes with in the next thirty years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dvJZoZvdI

FFS Rocko this is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read. Get a radiator key. Turn it. Let the air out. When water comes through turn it back. :rolleyes:

Christ some of the criticism here is a bit much. It sounded complicated from an initial read and Fran’s highlighting of the potential damage to the gaff was enough to put me off. I’ll give it a go though.

So 2 questions:

1. Are all radiator keys the same or are there various sizes etc?
  2. Julio is the first person to mention “turning it back” so it’s not opening a valve and leaving it open? It’s just opening it, letting some air out, then shutting it again? How do you know when it’s open enough that you can shut it again, when the air stops hissing is it?

:lol:

:lol:

FFS Rocko you obviously have to close the valve again. Otherwise why would it be closed in the first place.

I have obviously over estimated you. You should ask your father in law.

I know what you mean about it being shut in the first place but there are loads of things that require you to leave them in balance between open and shut to ensure they function correctly - e.g. a beer tap.