Bleeding Radiators

Rocko, how did this go? Did you ask the postman to do it?

Rocko,

1. I would suggest going into a hardware store and asking them for a radiator key. Enquire if there is a ‘one size fits all’ key which I would imagine there would be. Anytime I have ever carried out this exercise the key has always been provided to me so I am not sure.

2. Have a look at the key and see if it would fit the valve. Maybe enquire if it would alright to exchange it if it didn’t.

3. Go home and try the key. Maybe put a basin or cloth to the side of the radiator.Try not to force the valve open, it may take a bit of power to get it turned initially, but be aware of water gushing out. Once you have it turned listen for air hissing out and wait until the noise stops. Tighten the valve again but not too tight because you may have to open it again if the radiator doesn’t heat up.

4. Turn on the heating and seeing if the radiatior is working properly. If not you will have to repeat the exercise.

5. Once you are happy that the radiator is working properly tighten up the valve.

Just a pint of order farmer. I find it works best if the heating is on when you are bleeding the rads, you know instantaneously then that it has worked

You’ve got some poor advice on this thread Rocko. Ask any hardware store for a radiator key. It’ll cost about a euro. One size fits all. Water damage is not likely as long as you don’t fall asleep. The air lock is expelled very slowly and you’ll hear the gurgle as the water rises. As soon as the water starts to come out lock the valve. The trick is not to take the valve out merely to twist it once or twice until you hear the air hiss so that you can lock it quickly when the water comes through.

On the lights, halogen spots are an expensive energy inefficient curse. But be careful with LEDs… The cheaper ones give an awful light and will give your house the ambience of a nursing home corridor. The technology is in it’s infancy but the best LEDs are philips econic lights but they ate very expensive and hard enough to find. B&q used to have themm

Also Rocko, don’t stand in the way of the gushing air/water, it’s very hot.

Don’t use it to make tea either

1 Like

:o

Fuckin hell…

you might want to get one of these Rocko

take runts advise and wear some protective gear alright rocko.

as for the water gushing out, its not so much gushing, as a bit of a trickle. and the first bit coming out can often be black shite hence why to have a towel. to be honest, a bit of kitchen roll in your hand beside the valve is enough, as as soon as you hear the gurgling and the first bit of water comes out, just turn the valve back and close it again.

A lot of dickheads are trying to argue that this complex task is a routine one.

And don’t anyone think for a second that I’m falling for the ‘water inside a radiator’ ball hop. Hardly.

indeed.

1. locate radiator key

2. use aforementioned key to turn valve (slowly) on radiator

3. close valve on aforementioned radiator using aforementioned key once black liquid observed

4. turn on heating, test radiator for cold spots (you could use some sort of thermal imaging equipment if you wish, alternatively try placing your hand on different areas of the radiator until your curiosity is satisfied)

5. repeat as necessary

6. you could try contacting John Gormley at Green Party HQ for spare bulbs.
    although I’ve heard the lights have gone out recently so maybe they don’t have any.

P.S. a small needle-nosed pliers would do the job if you’re stuck instead of the radiator key

Woah, woah, woah, we don’t want the man to going injuring himself.

This is funny shit.

Hopefully the inner containment shell of the radiator will be unaffected by the leakage and heat levels stay below the legal limit

Just close the door to that room and use it as a cold store.

I just hope rockos lack of heat isnt like an encounter I had in a rented house. Heat was poor in a couple of rooms, and on closer inspection, I found out that 3 rads were put on back to front, so the heat intake was connected to the out valve, meaning it was doing fook all. But I’m sure with the help of everyone on here, Rocko would be able to take down the rads and refix them to their correct position if needs be whilst also being able to drain the entire system.

Rocko you may need a left handed allen key

Some splendid advice on here by now.

I’ll investigate the radiator today and see if I can manage this on my own. I’ll be sending Mrs Rocko to the shop for a radiator key because there’s no way I’d ask for that in a hardware shop in case there were questions back. I’ll never forget the day I asked for screws and rawl plugs. All sorts of questions about plasterboard and cavity walls etc. Fuck’s sake, I expect advice and to be told what I need to buy, not questions. It’s the same shite mechanics do with your car - any problems with the clutch? How the fuck would I know. I just press the thing.

Just as a follow-up, is it possible that the issue is not related to an unbled radiator? I note GMan’s concern but it’s worth pointing out that there was heat from this radiator last winter, it’s just the last few months it hasn’t worked. And I don’t think it’s back to front because it’s not a thin radiator of the old school type that might look the same on both sides because it’s a thin piece of metal. This is a wider construction with a “cage type” top so I presume it would look very different on the back.

Of course there’s a chance, but it sounds like a classic air lock (as I have always called it) to me. That’s why you have to try the basics first to see if that solves it and if not then it may require someone to look at it who knows more about these types of things - i.e. a plumber.