Bleeding Radiators

i’d say you’re alright with the radiator, a bleed would be the obvious place to start.
Sounds like it’s too old to have inlet/outlet valves on it, so an airlock is about the only thing that could be wrong.

why don’t you throw up a photo altogether and let the world see your troubles?

P.S. you could try asking the father in law for the radiator key, might subtly suggest to him you’re not the useless nerd he thinks you are

Surely after you pressed the thing a few times you would know if you had any problems with it?

I was in Tescos earlier and noticed they had a 4-way utility key for bleeding rads. €2.40.

The level of idiocy being displayed on this thread is quite simply amazing.

Do you have radiators in the caravan?

I’ll fucking radiate you!!!

Boom

He’s Flano the sailorman
He lives in a caravan
He turned out the light
And stood in some shite
He’s Flano the Sailorman - toot! toot!

And he does it again. :clap:

Hold on Rocko, do nothing yet, especially if you are not competent in the area of plumbing. These lads are taking the piss out of ya. By opening the “bleed screw” that they are on about is going to land you in trouble. Whats to stop air going into the radiator/heating system? Heres a simple solution, if you live in a 2 storey house run both hot and cold taps both upstairs and downstairs while the heating is turned on. Keep checking the radiator with your hand and you will feel the heat coming back into it. This may take a while but its idiot proof.

Who’s wants their head smashe in. I’m a smasher.

I’ll put up a photo of said radiatior later.

I’ll have the radiator key out on the counter when the father-in-law calls over later this week* and just leave it look like I’ve been casually tinkering with my radiators out of sheer manliness.

• the fact that he’s coming over to put up a shelf for me may damage that reputation somewhat.

Which side of the radiator is the valve on?

I seem to have a place where I can turn a flathead screwdriver on the left hand side but the main knob for turning the radiator on or off is on the other side.

Left hand side:

[ATTACH]441.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]442.IPB[/ATTACH]

Right hand side (nothing to turn):

[ATTACH]443.IPB[/ATTACH]

yeah the one with the space for the flat head screwdriver. turn it a bit, slowly (to the left) and let the air out. hold a towl or tissue close to where the air is coming out, and as soon as some water comes out, turn the valve back to the right. keep the screwdriver or whatever you use against the vlave. so you can turn it back quick again.

and buy a powerdrill and do your own shelves you lazy cunt!

Christ this is far from straightforward.

Opened the valve a quarter turn, nothing happened, couldn’t hear anything. Opened it a bit further and a dribble of water came out - why the panic? Fuck’s sake it was a drip. Closed it back up. Turned on the heat. Very bottom right (near the on/off valve knob thing) was warm, pipe in is roasting rest is cool.

Said fuck it, I’ll try it again. Opened it up again a bit further this time. A fair bit of water game out - maybe a shot glass or so. Think I heard some air that time too. Had the heating on at the time as well. Now there’s a definite improvement - whole top of the radiator is a bit warm (not hot) and so is bottom right corner. Rest of it is really faintly warm. Can I repeat the process or does this suggest there’s something else wrong?

The fact that the radiator is getting warmer would suggest that what you did was right. I’d leave the heating on for about an hour and then try it again.

Be very careful of the hot water scalding you hands though. Maybe wear a pair of kitchen gloves or socks on your hands

Welcome to being a man Rocko

Ah lovely - properly hot at the top. Warm on the rest of it. Probably needs another go but a marked improvement this time.

so did you wake up to a lovely warm room then rocko? problem solved, or still not fully warm?

any thoughts on doing the shelving yourself? you know the helpful masses on TFK are always there to support you.

Rocko this show on manliness has surely been worth some quality time from the missus?

It’s not the bedroom GMan, it’s the box room where I keep my technology and Celtic memorobilia. I’d say the radiator is operating at 90% efficiency or something now, an improvement from 1%. Makes a huge difference and can only help TFK in the long run. I thank each of you for your excellent assistance.

The problems with putting up the shelf are twofold:

1. I’m not neat in my general work and wouldn’t be good at getting it straight.
  2. I don’t know what type of screws and/or rawl plugs I need to use for drilling into the wall. And I haven’t a clue what type of wall it is - but it’s not a partition anyway I can tell you that because when I hop a ball off it there’s a dull thud insted of a hollow sound. I do own a drill.