Bluffer's Guide to Atletico Madrid

Celtic (or Sion) travel to Madrid this week as underdogs against a side that has undergone a significant revamp this summer. The two world stars of the team (Aguero and Forlan) have been replaced by exciting talent in a dangerous, attack-oriented team.

http://www.thefreekick.com/blog/?attachment_id=2561" rel="attachment wp-att-2561]

Form:

Atlético finished seventh in La Liga last season, a disappointment that culminated in the departure of Quique Sanchez Flores who had guided the Rojiblancos to a Europa League final win the year previously. While their league form was mixed they were level on points with Sevilla in fifth at the end and the change of manager was as much a reflection of squad unrest (particularly with the now departed Diego Forlan) as a necessity due to results.

Gregorio Manzano took over at Atlético earlier this summer, the 18th job of his managerial career and his second time with the club. They joined the Europa League in the third qualifying round and after labouring to a 2-1 home victory over Stromsgodset they have cruised their subsequent matches, winning 0-2 in Norway and beating Portuguese side Vitoria De Guimaraes twice at an aggregate score of 6-0.

The belated start to the La Liga season means they have only played two domestic games thus far in 2011/12. They opened with a scoreless draw at home to Osasuna before losing to a single goal in Valencia on Saturday night.

Their Europa League victory in 2010 followed on from from promising campaigns in the previous two seasons but they disappointed last season finishing third in their group behind Leverkusen and Aris Thessaloniki with their only two wins coming against Rosenborg.

It’s difficult to read much into the performances of previous seasons because of the significant changes in the squad this summer. Forlan, Aguero, De Gea, RaĂșl Garcia and UjfaluĆĄi all departed in the recent transfer window and half the expected starting team are new signings.

Formation:

Atlético have opted for a 4-3-3 in their two La Liga games to date. Their starting lineup on Thursday will likely be:

Courtois_

Silvio____Miranda____Domingiez_____Luis

Tiago______Suarez_____Gabi_

Falcao______Reyes_____Adrian_

Defence:

Thibaut Courtois signed for Chelsea from Genk this summer and was immediately loaned out to Madrid to replace David De Gea. He is an underage Belgian international, 19 years old and 6’6". Despite his young age he has made almost 50 senior appearances so he certainly doesn’t lack in experience compared to his counterpart in the Celtic goal.

Like much of the Atletico team the two fullbacks are full internationals. Silvio joined from Braga in the summer for an undisclosed (but apparently significant) fee and has three caps for Portugal as a right back. Filipe Luis has only one cap for his native Brazil but is an accomplished and experienced left back in La Liga with over 100 appearances for Deportivo La Coruna.

Álvaro Dominguez at centre back is a product of the Atlético youth system. He was a mainstay for Spain in their Under 21 European Championships win earlier this summer and having played regularly in the last two seasons he will expect to feature more regularly since Ujfaluƥi departed for Galatasaray in the summer. Luis Perea has been an impressive contributor for club and country but may have lost his place in the team to new signing Miranda who arrived from Sao Paulo over the summer. He is another Brazilian international (with 5 caps) and started ahead of Perea at Valencia on Saturday.

Midfield:

AtlĂ©tico play with a 3 man midfield, with another new face Gabi playing the pivotal central role. Gabi left the club to join Zaragoza for €9m in 2007 and though he suffered relegating in his first season he progressed to club captain before switching back to AtlĂ©tico for a more modest €3m this summer. He plays as a defensive midfield playmaker but was deployed on the right of the three against Valencia.

Gabi is supported in midfield by the experienced Portuguese midfield general Tiago and Mario Suarez. The latter is another who left the Vicente Calderon for greener pastures but after impressing at Mallorca, Atlético activated a buyback clause in his transfer deal and recalled him in 2010. Tiago is the most celebrated of the midfielders, he has over 50 caps for Portugal and counts Chelsea, Juventus and Lyon among his former clubs. He joined permanently in July after a successful extended loan spell with Los Colchoneros. None of the midfielders are overly attacking in their outlook but much of the creative responsibility falls on Tiago.

Midfield backup is provided by Juanfran, a former wide player who was signed by Quique Sanchez Flores in January but may find opportunities more limited in a 3 man midfield.

Attackers:

Despite losing Forlan and Aguero in August, Atlético still have very impressive attacking options available. The two departing players scored 200 goals between them in the past 4 years, so their absence will be keenly felt regardless of their replacements. Having said that they have recruited very well with Adrian and Falcao capable of matching their goalscoring exploits while Diego and Arda Turan are two very inventive options for a more balanced front three.

Reyes is the one constant in AtlĂ©tico’s attack from last season. The former Arsenal and Sevilla player is versatile enough to feature on the wing and would probably be most comfortable wide of the attacking trio but he has started as the focal point of the attack in recent games. He doesn’t boast a terrifying goalscoring record for a centre forward but he is a clever player who is quick enough and skillful enough to cause any defence problems.

Wide of Reyes it looks likely that Falcao and Adrian will start on Thursday night. Falcao is the most expensive recruit in the club’s history and his fee of €40m (plus add-ons) is a fair reflection on his achievements for Porto where he and Hulk terrorised defences across Europe in a similar 3-man forward line. He is an excellent finisher and a massive aerial threat despite his relatively diminutive stature.

Like Dominguez in defence, Adrian will be familiar to anyone who watched the Under 21 European Championships this summer. A modest record in La Liga, where he netted 8 times for relegated Deportivo last season, reflects his youth more than his talent and he scored 5 times in Denmark this summer where he was the most prolific striker on show. He was similarly lethal in the Under 20 World Cup four years ago and he is a very dangerous talent.

Attacking Midfield Options

If Atlético want to switch to a more conservative version of their 4-3-3 or even switch to a more midfield-oriented formation they can turn to the guile of Diego or Turan. Diego is a tremendously gifted attacking midfielder who is on loan from Wolfsburg after a falling out with manager Félix Magath. He has had mixed success at clubs to date, failing to justify the fees paid by either Juventus or Porto but he was a huge success at Werder Bremen and certainly has the talent to succeed at Atlético.

Arda Turan is a long-term target of Atlético and finally arrived in August from Galatasaray as the most expensive Turkish football transfer ever. He is primarily a left sided attacking midfielder but would be equally at home on the right or as one of the wide options in the 4-3-3, in fact he replaced Adrian in that role against Valencia. He has almost a half century of international caps for Turkey, despite being only 24 so lacks nothing in experience if he does find his way into the team.

http://www.thefreekick.com/blog/?p=2560]Read the full story here

We can use this hugely popular thread as a discussion point for Atlético v Celtic on Thursday night.

What formation and selection would people suggest? I think we have to find a way of playing a 5 in midfield, we have the players to do it. It means leaving out Stokes probably which is a pity because he was excellent again at the weekend but they will go with 3 in the middle and 3 strikers which would overwhelm us if we can’t get numbers there.

Depends on how fit Brown is but if he makes it I’d bring him in for Stokes and go with:

Forster____

Matthews_______K Wilson_________Mulgrew____________M Wilson

Kayal_____________Ledley__

Forrest__________________Ki________________Brown______

Hooper__

There are a couple of variations on that we could use also. Brown and Ledley could swap or Ki could drop back beside Kayal with Ledley shifting and Brown playing in the advanced central role. If Brown is absent then we have an issue. Either revert to Saturday’s formation which is a bit too open maybe, but at least it works, or bring in Commons wide left (or Wanyama with Ledley moving wide left). I think I’d play Commons despite his poor form so far this season.

One of the forgotten features of the win in Ibrox last January was how well the midfield functioned that day. In subsequent “big” games Lennon has been tempted by the 4-5-1/4-3-3 but generally with either Samaras or Stokes out wide. It’s evident by now that doesn’t work. As well as we played beating the huns the formula to carry forward should have been as much about the movement in midfield as the simple idea of playing one up front.

It’s harsh on Stokes to drop him after he was once again excellent on Saturday but he’s not capable of fitting in to a 4-5-1 so Hooper has to start. At the back I think I vowed recently that I’d never want to see Mark Wilson at left back for Celtic again but there aren’t many options. Bringing Loovens in and switching Mulgrew out is the best alternative but Mulgrew has looked better at centre back and we need to work on developing his partnership with Kelvin Wilson.

Swiss court in Vaun have ruled in favour of Sion. No decision from UEFA yet though and that’s the one that matters more.

Not sure if this puts more pressure on UEFA or not. I think UEFA are highly unlikely to reverse their original decision because Sion were clearly in breach of tournament rules and were aware they were in breach of them. Disputing it in a civil case in Switzerland has some extra gravitas because UEFA are based there but nothing has changed for UEFA really so despite the extra pressure it shouldn’t mean they will overturn their decision.

Two further points:

1. Neither Celtic nor UEFA made any submissions to the Vaud court.

2. The UEFA regulations specifically prohibit clubs from trying to overturn their rulings by taking domestic civil cases. The fact Sion is in Switzerland makes that a small bit more interesting but it’s hard to see how UEFA could take anything from that case into account.

Still very confident we’ll be just fine.

Should we have a separate match thread?

Brown and Stokes didn’t travel with the rest of the squad this morning and are both out.

I’d go with:

Forster,
Matthews, K Wilson, Loovens, Mulgrew,
Kayal, Wanyama,
Forrest, Ki, Ledley,
Hooper.

I’m happy with this thread.

Comes down to Wanyama v Commons for me. I’d probably just marginally go for Commons because while I think Ledley had a fantastic game from a wider position on Saturday I think he might become a bit peripheral if he’s wide in a busier midfield so I’d get him involved inside and play Commons out left. Need a big game and a big workrate from him though.

STV have the below ‘probable team’:

Forster,
Matthews, Loovens, K Wilson, M Wilson,
Forrest, Ki, Kayal, Ledley, Mulgrew,
Samaras.

I doubt it.

I’d imagine Commons will the nod on the left. Wonder if Lennon will go with Hooper or Samaras?

Is Stokes injured?

Yes, he’s having a scan on his thigh today and is a doubt for Sunday.

Mohamed Bangura didn’t train tonight in the Vicente Calderon due to a slight groin strain. He’ll have a pre-game fitness test.

Pictures from press conference here: http://twitter.com/#
madridatleticos

Guy who runs the page is a Madrid based Irish journalist. He asked Neil if a good result tomorrow would be important for the SDLP (instead of the SPL). :lol:

[quote=“TFK Sport, post: 622748”]Formation:

Atlético have opted for a 4-3-3 in their two La Liga games to date. Their starting lineup on Thursday will likely be:

Courtois_

Silvio____Miranda____Domingiez_____Luis

Tiago______Suarez_____Gabi_

Falcao______Reyes_____Adrian_[/quote]

Regular full backs Silvio and Filipe left out of the Atletico squad for tomorrow.

Injured or rested do you know? Fearful of Forrest most likely.

Talk in the papers that Bangura will be starting alone up front. Can’t see that happening at all.

I don’t know. I’m following that Irish Atletico Madrid supporter on Twitter who made the SPL / SDLP faux pas in the press conference yesterday and he said they’ve been left out.

I saw the Bangura reports all right. It wouldn’t completely surprise with the huns game on the horizon too.

A bad omen for Celtic tonight. Atletico Madrid’s record home European win came against another Irish side, an 8-0 victory over Drumcondra in 1958.

Now there’s talk that Bangura has failed his fitness test so Hooper will start alone up front.

Atletico are a very impressive team and i think they will beat an average Celtic team 3-0.

I was remarking to Rocko at a TFK FC sponsors’ luncheon a mere 45 minutes ago that we need to give ourselves a chance tonight by not conceding early. It’s not just pre-Neil’s tenure where we’ve had disastrous European away days; the pattern has continued against Braga and Utrecht last season with early penalty concessions in both games (two in the first half in Utrecht) followed by Majstorovic creating carnage in Sion last month with the first minute penalty concession and accompanying red card.

Celtic away days in Europe tend to follow a fairly similar pattern:

• Criminally bad defending for thoroughly preventable early concession inside first ten minutes;
  • Celtic eventually settle and begin to look composed and dangerous

• Before the other team score again and lead 2-0 at half time;
  • You know the comeback is unlikely but Celtic come back out and have a go

• Before the other side kills the game completely with a third.

We need to be strong and assured at the back tonight. Just do the fucking basics and do things decisively. It’s also an opportunity for our better players like Kayal and Ki to prove they can stamp their authority all over games like this. I’m always optimistic but it’s time for the team to show they can handle these games. Come on Celtic!

Friend of the forum Will Downing will be in commentary tonight on Setanta Ireland. :clap:

The Celtic Football Club starting XI:

Forster;
M Wilson, Loovens, K Wilson, Mulgrew;
Forrest; Ki, Kayal, Ledley, Samaras;
Hooper.

Think it’s 5 in midfield with Samaras hanging wide left.