Bookmakers and general Money Laundering on the Dark Web

Coral and Labrokes aren’t going to be on Odds checker anymore.

Why is that?

I think that crowd that own pp/betfair bought it. Flutter something or other.

Oddschecker was owned by the Sky Betting & Gaming group which was subsumed into Flutter as part of all the mergers.

Ladbrokes left oddschecker before and came back onto it quickly enough.

1 Like

Is that his head trading team behind him?

1 Like

So ladbrokes would basically be paying powers for new customers

:thinking:

Sure they’ve been paying Sky for the last 10 years

1 Like

Double the odds in a lucky 31 is back

I thought it went from Treble to Double?

I thought there was none for a while

Anyone else having problems tracking paddy power bets on the phone? The bets placed on the machines where you can text them to your phone and avail of cashout and get the 6th bet free up to €25.

I can’t seem to login to the pp onside app anymore. I can scan a docket onto it alright so can cashout but not avail of free bets.

As an aside someone told me the free bets are reduced to a maximum of €10. Is this true?

Who’d take a punt on this bookie?

Alistair Osborne

Friday August 14 2020, 12.01am BST, The Times

Save

What a shy bunch they are at GVC. Over the past month the bookie’s come up with this treble: the exit with one day’s notice of Kenny Alexander, the man who built the business over 13 years; the revelation five days later that the company was in an HMRC investigation; and now the half-year results, turning £349 million of “underlying ebitda” into £2.1 million of after-tax profits.

The common theme? On no occasion was anyone available from the board, led by chairman Barry Gibson, to tell the press what’s going on. Anyone would think the owner of Ladbrokes, Coral and Sportingbet had something to hide.

Apparently, this time it’s “too early” for new boss Shay Segev to be allowed out into the press paddock. Why? The figures look decent enough, given the corona crisis closed the betting shops. An 11 per cent drop in net gaming revenue to £1.62 billion is a fair effort, with online revenue up 19 per cent. And Mr Segev sees a big “growth opportunity” in America: a market worth $20.3 billion by 2025, he reckons.

But that’s part of the problem with GVC, the headline figures typically look good. Yet, two things still nag. First, the baggage of the past. Mr Alexander built GVC by taking bets from markets where gambling was illegal or unregulated, recycling the profits into buying better businesses in regulated markets. Second, that GVC’s figures are never clean.

True, that’s partly because of his acquisition roll-up, culminating in 2018’s £3.2 billion Ladbrokes Coral buy. Goodwill write-offs go with the terrain. But, as Canaccord Genuity’s Quest analysts note, while GVC smashes it on the cash generation front, it also brings plenty of “risk”: a measure that includes “earnings quality”. There, they score it 4 out of 100. Quest points to “exceptional items for each of the last 10 years”. And “material” ones in nine.

Last year, there were ÂŁ710 million of them, leaving GVC with a ÂŁ174 million pre-tax loss. In 2018 there were ÂŁ454 million one-offs and an ÂŁ18.9 million loss. In 2017, ÂŁ174 million and ÂŁ22.6 million loss. Indeed, you have to go back to 2015 for a full-year pre-tax profit. True, cashflow always trumps accounting profits. But the figures can be opaque.

This time the gap between “underlying ebitda” and the tiny after-tax profit includes a £132 million foreign exchange loss. And, then, there are two other things GVC either can’t or won’t discuss. First, the sort of “potential corporate offending” HMRC is looking into over the former Turkish business: the one taking illegal bets that GVC gave away to seal the Ladbrokes deal. Its undisclosed trio of new owners included Ron Watts, with whom Mr Alexander owns a stud farm.

And second, as rehearsed here before, precisely what payment processing is done for GVC by PXP Financial — a business it used to own whose new parent, Singapore’s Senjo, is being investigated over the Wirecard fraud. GVC says PXP did not process Turkish money and is used for “processing payments in the UK, Gibraltar and other regulated markets”. But what about past or present unregulated stuff? The shares rose 2 per cent to 800p, valuing GVC at £4.7 billion. But, for a FTSE 100 group, there are too many unanswered questions.

Pp have a 65cent deduction for a race today. 65 fucking cent!

1 Like

@Smark @Mac

https://twitter.com/JoeSeward1/status/1295429883103977472?s=19

:grin:

A good bit of possible scandal in that article. Also they are over 2 billion in debt due to the merger, but they are confident of making good inroads in America.

Very bad PR story not paying Ted out, we’re talking peanuts here. And they called the guards on him to make matters worse. :laughing:

I heard Barry Orr claim he knew an on course bookie who didn’t put horses in at bigger than 20/1because he thought it was disrespectful to owners :joy:

2 Likes

Video going round of him arguing with the member of staff in powers

I frequented a powers On Saturday and was asked to remove my mask. Seems very odd to me they allowed do this.